OpenOffice 3.0

OpenOffice 3.0 is now available for download. Get it at openoffice.org/

Demand for downloads was so high that it crashed the website. I still managed to download it a few hours ago with no problems. You could also download it via a BitTorrent.

I haven’t really delved into any of the new features, but the interface has been updated with a more modern look, while all the menus and icons that used to be there seem mostly the same.

Bittorrent is going fine – downloading at 400Kb/sec at the moment.

Should take less than 5 minutes.

Will play with it when I finally get through this pile of #*#(@ paperwork.

I have a positive initial impression, but they still haven’t added a feature I love in Word (the ability to collapse the upper and lower margins in Print Layout View by clicking in the space between the pages).

My first ridiculous stress test didn’t work:

I often copy my online bank statements into Word so that I can print them with minimal clutter.

IE 5 + Word XP

Just cut & paste, press print.

Firefox 3.0 & Open Office 3.0 , still doesn’t work… the usual mess of broken tables.

Didn’t really expect it to. But it would have been kind of nice. I blame the bank of course.

[quote=“wix”]I haven’t really delved into any of the new features, but the interface has been updated with a more modern look, while all the menus and icons that used to be there seem mostly the same.[/quote]I remember reading that it would open .docx files (default save format for MS Office 2007) directly, as well as having better MS Office compatibility overall. That will be quite handy.

I’ve had problems with Open Office in the past while working in an MS-centric shop. VB macros often didn’t work, and doing anything like embedding Visio Calc diagrams into documents was out of the question.

That said, I’ve been relying on Open Office for nearly all my school’s word processing and spreadsheet needs. I’ve been pretty happy with OO for the last couple of years, and the new language selector tool makes multi-lingual documents more convenient than before.

I like the zoom slider!