Operating an online shop in Taiwan with a foreign company?

Hi, I just started a business in Taiwan but I’m totally frustrated by the lack of decent digital services here: CMS, online payment systems, online banking etc.
Many top services available in most countries are not available here and the Taiwanese equivalents are pretty poor.
I’m wondering whether I could run my online food shop in Taiwan with a foreign company so that I could use decent online services.
The idea is that the customer purchase a product and pay on my website in Taiwan dollars. The payment goes to my foreign company that operates the online shop. My foreign company pay my Taiwanese company that provides the service (food products) to the customer.
Does anyone know if this is possible with the Taiwanese regulations?
In this way I won’t even have to deal much with the terrible receipt system they have here as the only time I would have to issue a Taiwanese receipt is when my foreign company pays my Taiwan company.
Please advise, thanks!

1 Like

What has been your experience so far? I am curious as to what services you have encountered, and why they don’t really stand up? My wife and I run an online crafting business that we plan to move to Taiwan in about 3 years time, and it would be very helpful to hear about your experiences so far.

As for your question, I personally would talk with an accountant. Most on this board are rather conservative when it comes to these sorts of things, and tend to stick to a “salaryman” way of thinking.

You really should speak to an accountant and/or lawyer familiar with onshore/offshore businesses. For instance, there’s the issue of VAT.

3 Likes

Maybe you just found a much more lucrative market? Offering CMS, online payment systems, etc. To Taiwanese businesses?

Just kidding. They wouldn’t bite. It’s all chabuduo. As long as it runs with internet explorer.

They upgraded? I thought the gold standard was still Netscape Navigator support.

1 Like

tenor-11

To the OP: You will need to issue fapiao and pay the VAT, but you don’t necessarily need a Taiwanese business for that, foreign companies can also register. Operating a Taiwanese company would be easier though.

1 Like

According to the link I posted above foreign companies cannot register for VAT. They either need a local company or a local agent.

The OP says he has a local company but the problem is that he doesn’t seem to want to deal with the system here: