Opinions about a recent case in department store

Hi Folks!
I was recently in a big department store. I bought a small item that was less than NT$1000. I have bought things there several times before.
When I went to pay for my item, the cashier looked at my credit card and was confused about what kind of card it is. It’s one of these heavy metal (no pun intended) black cards with no number or signature on the card. However, it shows the Mastercard logo on it. I told her that it is Mastercard and pointed to the logo. She still hestitated to just be simple and process the transaction even after voluntarily showing her my ARC card for identification purposes.
Here’s where it gets weird: Without my permission she takes a picture of the card’s front and back and sends it by Line to someone. I asked her why did she do this and demanded that she delete that message; however, it was already received on the recipient’s end. I feel this is totally improper and frankly I’m a bit tired of this kind of incongruent behavior in Taiwan. I think there are (or should) be laws concerning this kind of behavior, right? I was convinced by a friend to report the incident to the police who was reluctant to even write a report. The store manager contacted me and said he wanted to offer me the price of the item in question as a refund for my trouble. I refused. I think it’s insulting because it’s not about price but principle.
So my questions are: Are there laws in Taiwan that prohibit what the cashier did? And do you think I can pursue a civil case if not criminal against her. I’m doing this mainly because I feel strongly that lessons need to be learned.
Thank you for your thoughtful and serious opinions.

Well, she probably was just unfamiliar with the card and unsure if it would be a problem or not. If it didn’t have any ID info on it, what’s the issue?

4 Likes

You’re wasting your time and energy. She didn’t know what she was looking at and wanted to cover her ass before processing it. Had there been a supervisor nearby then she would have probably just shown it to them.

3 Likes

Can’t someone take the card number + cvv and use it to buy anything online?

2 Likes

Any time you hand your cc over in a restaurant they can do anything they like with it. Unless they bring the machine to your table.

He said there aren’t numbers on it.

Principle

What principle

1 Like

Thank you but I’ll determine if it’s a waste of my time and energy.

1. You don’t take pictures of people’s cards.
  2. You don’t send pictures of people’s financial information to other people without permission.

What information was on the card that would actually bring these principles into play?

Another principle is that employees of businesses need to take reasonable steps to ensure the legitimacy of financial transactions. I’m not seeing how your principle trumps her principle here.

4 Likes

In the least, the clerk should have asked for permission from the OP first.

5 Likes

I have two simple questions:

1. Are there any laws broken?
  2. If so, is it a civil or criminal action?

That’s all. Thank you in advance.

$1000 bucks comes off her measly paycheque if she has f’ed up. Covering her ass.

2 Likes

Sure, but is it worth some of the steps suggested in the OP? Seemingly there was no identifying information on the card.

Running a red light when there are no cars coming is still running a red light.

1 Like

Is there such a thing?
Never seen a card like that before.

Newer cards don’t have the raised numbers on the front, but do have them printed on the back.

OP, is your card devoid of any and all marking for both cc number, expiration date and cvc number?

1 Like

Nor have I. I would have been equally confused by it.

1 Like

this

1 Like

If it is true, then the clerk didn’t really do any harm other than not ask for permission. Not a criminal offense I would think. A talk with the clerk and a manager would have sufficed.

4 Likes