Oprah quits

…or will do so soon enough :frowning:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0911/19/lkl.01.html

She’s had a fairly long run so retiring from her show isn’t a bad option. The question is will she tour solo talk shows like Micheal Parkinson?

Why would she work? She’s got more money than God and Buddha put together at this point.

[quote=“ironlady”]Why would she work? She’s got more money than God and Buddha put together at this point.[/quote]I think it’s more about fame, than money. She’ll probably write a book and go on a book tour, first. Then, perhaps turn to politics. I wouldn’t count out either a political run or possibly a political appointment.

Who doesn’t?

I think I read that she WILL do another TV show.

But she definitely won’t do it for the money. She’s already the most successful business woman entertainer ever, by far. Same for fame. And I don’t think it’s a matter of her having a personality flaw that requires people to recognize and appreciate her. I think it’s just that she’s incredibly talented and successful at TV entertainment, she’s done it for so many decades, it’s what she does, who she is, what she enjoys, and she’s not all that old, so what else is she gonna with her time? Play bingo? Do some gardening? My dad is 80 years old and spent several decades reading and writing as his career/life, but he still gets up and heads to his desk and the computer first thing in the morning. That’s who he is. He can’t completely retire. I would expect it’s the same for Oprah. She’ll do other very successful entertainment ventures because she’s great at doing that and that’s what she loves, who she is. Too bad about the present show ending but 25 years is a long time. I can see how she’d get bored and would be ready to try (succeed at) a new form/format.

It’s time for her to go. Have you seen any of her shows lately? I haven’t, but I’ve flipped past them on the dial. Lots of strange sex this or that, twisted relationships–it’s just a better class of Springer. She used to say she prided herself on having a talk show about real things, real substance, or helpful, informational topics. It’s just a bunch of crap any more. I can’t say it isn’t understandable. If you’ve been doing it for 25 years, you kind of have to keep re-inventing the same issues over and over again.

Anyway, I understand she’ll have her own network to re-run all her shows on.

Guys (gender inclusively, or if you like “and gals”), O is moving her shindig to the OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network). She’s going BIGGER. OWN is co-owned by Discovery. Retiring? Just moving to cable in the U.S. … prolly no change outside the States other than the cable channel. I would be very surprised if OWN did not have an “OW Show”.

It’s about bloody time. Her validity has long passed it’s peak. Though, I do agree she should actively milk her fans dry. They deserve a thorough cleansing.
:cluck:

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]…Though, I do agree she should actively milk her fans dry. They deserve a thorough cleansing.
:cluck:[/quote]

:laughing:

Never saw her show. Won’t miss it.

I saw part of one show… nothing special these shows. They only give an idea of how much being a TV junkie counts in the USA.

How are people going to deal with Oprah withdrawal? How will Obama win the next election? So many questions unanswered.

I saw part of one show… nothing special these shows. They only give an idea of how much being a TV junkie counts in the USA.[/quote]

Well, not having seen it, I didn’t want to assume that there was nothing of quality in them, thereby putting down anyone who might watch and enjoy them. But my assumption about most TV programming in the US (and elsewhere) is consistent with your take on this one. The truth is, people watch far, far, far too much TV, and most of it is really a waste of time IMO. Get out there and learn stuff, do stuff, share real stuff with real people in the real world!

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

Well, not having seen it, I didn’t want to assume that there was nothing of quality in them, thereby putting down anyone who might watch and enjoy them. But my assumption about most TV programming in the US (and elsewhere) is consistent with your take on this one. The truth is, people watch far, far, far too much TV, and most of it is really a waste of time IMO. Get out there and learn stuff, do stuff, share real stuff with real people in the real world![/quote]

and also make stuff :smiley:

I’ve seen some of her shows and she does a great job. A good voice and face, and comes across as a nice person.

However, I am against this whole genre of baring your soul for public amusement. I find it very tacky.

I prefer the stiff upper lip attitude of the British circa the 1940s.

There goes my dream of one day being on Oprah.

Perhaps it’s still possible. Going through this transition period, she may be looking for a short-term LE partner. I say go for it. :discodance:

More of a Geraldo fan? :laughing:

Who the hell cares the fat old bitch.