Optical SPDIF cable

Hmm, I already posted this in the Where can I find… forum, but somebody suggested that this would be the better place.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=41309

My optical cable broke, and I am looking for a new one. Stereo sound works still fine, but when it switches to 5.1 its all rubbish. I am looking for nothing high-end, or expensive, just a cable that gets the job done, which is probably harder to find. Should have about 4 m length.

Any clues where to start looking?

I see it’s already been suggested in your other thread, but you can get them at GuangHua market. I got mine there. The shop I got mine in was… ermm… I’ll draw a map, hold on.

Edit… OK, here you go. It’s the Audio Shop you need to go to. Failing that, try going down to the underground market. If you go down just one floor through the entrance I’ve marked, there’s a shop immediately on your left which has a lot of audio cables if you go straight after entering the shop, till you hit the wall basically. Good luck.

thank you so much for the map, I will have to check out all the places that you mentioned. Hopefully tonight.

A very nice forumosa moderator lent me his optical SPDIF cable today. Taks again irishstu :notworthy: :notworthy:

Unfortunately, it is not my cable that is broken. Damn it!!! I still have the same symptoms when hooking up my XBox to my soundcard’s breakout box. :s :s

I am not too happy about this. I checked the sound card, all connector are in place, and DVD Playback with 5.1 works just fine when played from the computer. But as soon as I hook up my XBox, just rubbish. The question that remains now: Is it the XBox, or is it my Soundcards Breakout box.

Possible test that I can imagine are:

1. hook up the XBox to a 5.1 Amp with optical in, which I don’t have
  2. hook up another 5.1 source to the soundcard with optical out, which I
    also don’t have
  3. are there any adapters that convert optical SPDIF to electrical SPDIF?

Any other suggestions?

[quote=“ratlung”]A very nice forumosa moderator lent me his optical SPDIF cable today. Taks again irishstu :notworthy: :notworthy:

Unfortunately, it is not my cable that is broken. Damn it!!! I still have the same symptoms when hooking up my XBox to my soundcard’s breakout box. :s :s

I am not too happy about this. I checked the sound card, all connector are in place, and DVD Playback with 5.1 works just fine when played from the computer. But as soon as I hook up my XBox, just rubbish. The question that remains now: Is it the XBox, or is it my Soundcards Breakout box.

Possible test that I can imagine are:

1. hook up the XBox to a 5.1 Amp with optical in, which I don’t have
  2. hook up another 5.1 source to the soundcard with optical out, which I
    also don’t have
  3. are there any adapters that convert optical SPDIF to electrical SPDIF?

Any other suggestions?[/quote]

Well, at least I feel good that you didn’t waste money on a new cable, but that is a real bummer. This computer is dual boot, right? Do you have the same problem regardless of the OS? At least that would rule out any driver problems, etc.

[quote=“ratlung”]Unfortunately, it is not my cable that is broken. Damn it!!! I still have the same symptoms when hooking up my XBox to my soundcard’s breakout box. :s :s [/quote]That’s what I said.

[quote]2. hook up another 5.1 source to the soundcard with optical out, which I don’t have[/quote]Do you have a DVD player ?

[quote=“irishstu”]

Well, at least I feel good that you didn’t waste money on a new cable, but that is a real bummer. This computer is dual boot, right? Do you have the same problem regardless of the OS? At least that would rule out any driver problems, etc.[/quote]

Yeah, I tried it on Linux and Windows. In Windows there is not sound coming out at all, I guess it doesn’t like the rubbish that is coming in. Linux just puts everything through to the speakers, really bu hao ting.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“ratlung”]Unfortunately, it is not my cable that is broken. Damn it!!! I still have the same symptoms when hooking up my XBox to my soundcard’s breakout box. :s :s [/quote]That’s what I said.
[/quote]

Yeah, unfortunately you were right. Hmm, I guess I was just hoping that it is as simple as getting a new cable.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]

No, unfortunately I don’t have a DVD player either. Before we watched DVD’s from the PC. That’s why I got the XBox, it is my media center and steam vent after driving too much in Taiwan. :slight_smile:

Yesterday I tried one thing, I took my optical cable, and plugged it into the optical OUT and IN of my soundcard, and then played a DVD on the computer. When I have the Wave sound put to the speakers directly, everything works fine, but when I try to send it through the loop, it does not work. I mean there is no sound at all, not even rubbish in Linux. So this is not really conclusive either. Might be some other problem of the loop, or the copy protection bit is set, when the sound leaves the sound card through the optical out. If Linux would have given me rubbish again, I would say the breakout box is broken.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you all for your great replies, and the excellent help in resolving this problem. I guess I should put up a resolution of the problem. Yesterday I went to a friends house, he owns a 5.1 receiver with optical in. I plugged in my XBox, and everything is working just fine. So my conclusions would be, that the digital In of my soundcard is somehow fried. At least 5.1 does not work anymore.

As a result, I will have to get either a new soundcard, or I should go for an AV Receiver. I think the latter one would be nicer for multiple reasons

Pros:

1. I don’t have to turn on my computer for playing XBox or watching DVDs, which will result in much quieter environment and a lower electric bill.
  2. Throwing out a perfectly fine soundcard just because of a broken digital In does not make sense, especially when my PC is starting to get ready for an upgrade anyway.

Cons :

1. Much more expensive solution.

Any comments or suggestions where I should look for a AV Receiver, just to take a look and being repelled by the high prices, and then get a new soundcard instead.