Options for buying a new scooter

Hi guys, I recent passed my scooter test and am looking to buy a new scooter. There is a Suzuki store very close to my apartment which my girlfriend has recommended to me in case I have issues with my future purchase. The only problem is that the cheapest 100cc they have is 68,000 roughly. I don’t have that kind of money at the moment but I have heard some foreigners mention that at some scooter stores in Kaohsiung they let you pay per month? is this true or just a rumor?

I am just wondering because if it is true; how do I go about asking to pay a fixed amount every month? If not; its not really a big deal and I will just save up the cash. Thanks.

I have a 100cc scooter I could sell. It is in top condition and I am in Kaohsiung. I want 10 000 NT for it. PM me if you’re interested to have a look and a test drive.

Firstly, what is your budget? Secondly, what type of scooter are you looking for? Are you prepared to go for a second hand machine?
For Taiwanese citizens, a monthly installment is available. You could ask your gf, depending on how close you are. I had a 250 cc Kymco Grand Dink which was awesome until I needed to upgrade to a car when my baby arrived. Cost $105, 000, though.

I think getting a new bike is a very good idea if you have the money, and plan on staying around a while. I bought mine 8 years ago, and aside from maintenance things, I’ve spent less than 10000 on repairs and it’s still going strong.

You almost certainly won’t be able to pay by installments though. They’ll only let you do that if you have household registration. If you want to spread the cost, the only options are probably putting it on a credit card, or getting a trusting Taiwanese friend to get credit for you.

Also, it might have changed a lot in 8 years, but 68K for the cheapest 100cc sound a lot. I bought a large 150cc (not large like a Majesty/Dink, but the largest normal size) for 58K. As I said, that was 8 years ago though. Maybe they’ve got as lot more expensive.

If you want a little one, you might find the ones the sell in RT Mart or somewhere much cheaper, and probably with better credit terms if you get someone to get credit for you.

crianp,
You want to buy a new scooter but can’t afford to. Why not get a second hand one? They’re much better value.

Scooters are very reliable machines so getting a pre-loved one does not mean you’re going to have problems. I got a very old 125cc Duke for 11-odd K back in 2001, and I’m still riding it. Despite treating it pretty badly, I’ve only had to spend about NT$1000 to keep it running smoothly.

Other advantages of having a beat up old motor is that it’s less of a worry when it comes to theft, and it looks less metrosexual.

crianp -
Wise words indeed…“Not that there’s anything wrong with that!”

Sounds like you’re getting a bit of the “here comes the wai guo with too much money” treatment.
You should be able to pick up a new, nice 125cc motorscooter for around NT$40 - 50K with no problem. Look at some of the models that are NOT top of the line and you will see a significant price difference.
KYMCO, Suzuki, SYM and Yamaha all have numerous models in the ‘economy’ ranks that the locals here buy by the 1000’s each year.
Look at some of the 'scoots that the locals around you are riding. Look for white tags on the upper right corner of their license plate that have a 99, 100 or 101 so you can see how new the 'scooter is. (these are the last 3 years)
Now decide upon a nice, solid, dependable model and go to that dealer and start bargaining.
By the way, your ‘GF’ may be an impediment to this procedure as she may feel that it will cause her to “lose face” in the 'hood. Tough shit, its your money.

Good hunting and do ride safe!

Hey guys, thanks for all the great range of opinions. My budget is anything under 75,000 but I need to wait at least another 2 months before I have that kind of cash on hand. I would consider a second hand considering how well some of them run after many years but where would you be able to buy a reliable one with all the papers? [my girlfriend explained to me that I would need to make sure that it is insured, it hasn’t been stole that all its taxes are up to date?]The reason I was considering brand new is that I am going to be around for a few years and I heard that was the better option. Tainancowboy, where would you find a store that sells scooters in that price range in Kaohsiung? or are you saying that most stores have scooters in this price range?

My scooter has papers but they are not transferable. Long story short, it is not insured. That’s one reason why I never ride it. I bought this scooter only two weeks after landing in Taiwan, almost ten years ago. I used it every day for about a year and since then it’s been the guests’ motorcycle. It’s everybody’s scooter. I use it to go to the convenience store as much as I can to make sure it is started once in a while. If I leave it parked for more than a few months the battery dies. It’s an encumbrance. It’s old but it still looks pretty new and everything works well. It spent the last 8 years parked inside not being used. You’re welcome to borrow it if you need something to get around for a little while. At your own risks, of course.

I agree with Bu Lai En that there are advantages to buying new if you’re going to be around for a while.

I’ve had two motorbikes and two scooters here. All bought secondhand, three in reasonable condition, but even those three took time and a bit of money to get them running really well. Depends how important that is to you, I suppose. I know a lot of people are happy enough with a machine that runs just OK.

For me, I think I’ll buy new next time. I’m just too busy to be bothered with getting another second-hand machine running as good as new.

My first and second scooters were secondhand. They ended up as money pits. Constant repairs here and there. I guess I wasn’t lucky when purchasing a secondhand scoot.
Third scooter was bought new. It was a 150cc Kymco EGO. This also needed constant repairs for some strange reason. My woman kept telling me I should have bought a Yamaha.
After that scooter got smashed, and my body too injured to use such a heavy scooter again, I decided it was time for a new scooter.
This time I got a Yamaha. Yam GTR 125cc. It cost (about a year ago) $63k. I paid nothing for a month. Then paid $6k a month for a year (total $72k).
That’s about what you can expect as far as getting a loan from a Yamaha dealer is concerned. Good deal, I’d say.
Oh, and the bike has not needed one single little bit of repair or anything. Just regular servicing. Yamaha scooters are the best.
As for the loan, you might be able to get it in your g/f’s name. That will also mean the bike is in her name, too. If that’s not a problem for you, then go for it. It’d be the easiest option. Unless you dump her or she dumps you…

Criamp -
Visit the websites of the different brands. Write down the model designators. Then
just walk down the streets and look at the 'scooter shops and look. KaoShiung has 'scooter shops, just like all of Taiwan, all over the place.
Don’t worry about not speaking the language(if thats a concern), you’re just looking and making notes. Heck, if they see you more tan one time the price will start dropping.
Decide on a model and then start bargaining. Get quotes from several different shops on different streets. You’ll start to see who is blowing smoke up your skirt and who is going to give you an honest price.
Consider service also. I bought my 'scooter from the shop I did precisely because they have the computer system and knowledge to service fuel injection systems, which my 'scooter has. As a bonus, they are also hooked into the Government EPA computers so every year I just go to their shop, they hook it up and run the required test and send the info directly to the Gov’t - At No Charge.
One year they had to tinker with something and also did it at no charge.

Look at what some of the locals are riding. Look at the company and model name. Personally, I like KYMCO and Yamaha, but most are pretty dependable now.
I’ve been looking to get the wife a new 'scooter and from what I’ve seen, the price range I mentioned is about right for a good, solid, dependable 125cc model.

I’d also look at 125 - if you want to carry your g/f and some luggage up a mountain to find a deseerted trail the 100 just wont kick it,

plus get the biggest ‘under seat storage compartment’ you can, I think Kymco has the biggest, you want to be able to store a real full face helmet inside so when your scoot is parked you can leave the helmet inside to prevent theft, scratched visor or wet helmet. Also, the waterproofs will fit inside nicely and a netbook/bag (especially think of rainy season/winter here, but in summer you can load up with beach things)

I personally avoid the dink style rides because they are heavy to manouver and park and need a bigger space, but chicks dig 'em (very comfy pillion)

second hand is fine, I would try and borrow a scoot or buy cheap ass now, then trial all the scoot shops, once you find a good trustable mechanic, buy a 2-3yo scoot from him - thats what i did, 30k last year, no mech issues, only replaced both tyres servicing, oil changes… you will probably find a drop in power

also, if you’re not driving in the city, look at the taike “ultra bright” type headlamps - mine has 2 ordinary lamps, but its still not enough for mountain roads in the wet, nearly hit a branch that had fallen onto the road riding in the rain on monday

oh and last thing, if buying second hand, dont trust the mileage, most people disconnect the odometer an only reconnect for sale

Hey guys,

My wife’s now in Taiwan a few weeks ahead of me, and is sourcing a scooter.

One of the guys she spoke to said something about ‘5 Stage Injection’ (the best translation we could muster between the two of us!)

Just wondered if anyone knew whether that was some kind of new requirement by law over there, or whether I can still ride any old beaten up hunk o’ junk?

Thanks,
D

since u mentioned the law. all i can think of is euro 4 and 5 emissions standards that these new fuel injected models are boasting about. i could swear it’s only euro 4 on there advertising so im stumped.

as for riding ur old heap of junk. i don’t see a problem with that, got lots going around. only problem u might run into is the occasional road side emissions test.