Opus Dei in Taibei

I heard there’s an Opus Dei chapter here in Taibei, four chapters in fact, with [color=red][personal name removed by ADMIN][/color] one of the blokes who wears the spiked knifey thing that digs into your thighs. He is expat here. Is this legal? The news calls it a chalice, but it looks like a torture instrument, more like it.

[color=red]ADMIN’S NOTE: purplepeopleeater, as far I am concerned, outing members of The Work is beyond the pale. If you want to discuss Opus Dei here - go right ahead - feel free. But with Opus Dei being cast in a negative light these days by the Da Vinci Code movie, there’s no way I am going to allow you to subject individual lives to public scrutiny. Call me if you want to discuss this decision - gus. 0952 948975[/color]

An Opus Day in Taipei? What an excellent idea! I love Opus!

Why wouldn’t it be legal? The only person being hurt is the wearer, who chooses to use it. And as the great Sparky Anderson once said, “… pain don’t hurt you.”

Here is a snippet from Opus Dei’s website about “mortification”, of which use of the cilice is a part:[quote=“Someone at the Opus Dei website”]Do members of Opus Dei practice mortification?

Like other Catholics, members try to incorporate an element of sacrifice into their lives. In accord with its emphasis on finding God in everyday activities, Opus Dei encourages small sacrifices like carrying out one’s duties conscientiously, putting others’ needs before one’s own, and finding a smile in annoying circumstances. In addition, as recommended by the Catholic Church, members practice small physical mortifications occasionally, such as giving up certain items of food or drink. Within this spirit, numeraries and associates (celibate members) sometimes practice traditional Catholic penances such as using the cilice and discipline. These are practices that Catholics have used for centuries and are commonplace in the lives of the saints, for example: St. Francis of Assisi, St. Thomas More, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Padre Pio and Blessed Mother Teresa. The motivation for these voluntary penances is to imitate Christ and to join him in his redemptive sacrifice (cf. Matthew 16:24), and they can also be a way to suffer in solidarity with the many poor and deprived people in the world.[/quote]

taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … ws_Kabayan

I didn’t know this was supposed to be secret, because the gentleman in question appeared at several interview press meetings last week, with his photo in one paper, above, and his name in another paper.

I wasn’t outing him, I beleived, since he had gone public with his testimony, which I found fascinating and brave of him.

But if you think it is best to censor his name here, I will agree with you, Mr Gus.

But then, why did the man himself go public with his testomoney in the link and photo above? I respect the man, and as a Filipino Catholic, he deserves both respect and privacy, I guess.

I don’t think being a member of Opus Dei is anything to be ashamed of. I respect those people. I was just curiouis if the chalice hurts. He says no. So I believe him, and now I think Da Vinci Code is pure fictional.

Thank you for posting the link to the Taiwan News article. I wasn’t aware of it.

I apologize for over-reacting by editing your original post. You are right - since Leo has already spoken publicly about being in Opus Dei, there is certainly no need to remove it from discussion.

I didn’t mean that Leo’s membership is a secret. I meant that it is private - and given the scrutiny that “The Work” has had in the media and general public, then talking about someone who may not have identified themselves as a member seems like an invasion of privacy.

[quote=“purplepeopleeater”]
I don’t think being a member of Opus Dei is anything to be ashamed of. I respect those people. I was just curiouis if the chalice hurts. He says no. So I believe him, and now I think Da Vinci Code is pure fictional.[/quote]

I don’t know about the veracity of the Da Vinci Code, but there are definitely other points of view afoot about Opus Dei, and none of them are nearly as complimentary as their own Web site. A quick Google will bring up some interesting accounts from former members.

I’m surprised there are four centers in Taipei…might just explain a lot (I believe) about a handful of clerics I had some dealings with a couple of years back.