Ordering a laptop online & having it shipped to Taiwan

Yes yes yes, everybody knows that Taiwan makes the majority of notebooks in the world. We also know that they manufacturing capabilities allow them to make the even high-end notebooks here in Taiwan.

However, there are certain brands or models which do not have distribution here (even though they may have been manufacturered in Taiwan). Therefore, it would be necessary to buy the laptop in Japan or the USA if it is not sold here in Taiwan. In my case, the Toshiba Protege R100. It is available in the USA, but Toshiba Taiwan (perhaps because they still have stock of the 2010), won’t sell this model until sometime in July.

Athough most people seem to say buy the product here, I can’t see why in my case. If I’ve missed something pease tell me. A standard apple powerbook 12inch from Taiwan is $67 000, yet in the US with shipping it’s only $57 000. How much is the import tax? And anything obvious I’ve missed. Thanks.

Sources ;

US
reviews.cnet.com/4014-5-20783399 … &tag=price

TAIWAN
blueapple.com.tw/

amos,

some of the apple stores here will throw in freebies (applecare, office, other software) so in the end, it might work out better. for a ~10K difference, these freebies look attractive.

what you’ve missed:

• air freight and insurance from the us to Taiwan
  • import duty of minimum 14% if you can “prove” it’s used / 2nd hand, otherwise usually 24% for new electronics…
  • hong bao to prevent your package from being “lost” in the bonded warehouse
  • courier fees from customs storage to your house

the above will cost you a lot more than NT10K…
plus all service and warranty backups are not going to apply in Taiwan…

i hate to be forcasting bad weather when there’s a parade going on… but it looks like rain…

Matthew,

In response to your original question, I got a laptop shipped here from the US last year, valued at around US$2,000 or so. Fedex rang me from the airport requesting that I had to pay import tax on it before I could receive the package. However I managed to persuade them to send me the invoice so that I could revise the unit price down to US$10 (what a bargain). Thus I had to pay a total of something like NT$300 for it.
One thing you might want to watch out for is the type of warranty offered by the company you buy from. Mine was 1 year, but in the US only. Thus when something went wrong, I had to ship it to a friend in the US, from his place to the service centre, back to him, then back to taiwan. A real pain in the posterior.
I’d recommend that you get a laptop locally, cheaper, pluis most laptops are made in Taiwan anyway.

Hope this helps,
Zippy

Can someone help me? I have a similar situation only it’s a gift that I’m getting a laptop sent to me from the US. Yes I know I can buy one here but why pay for it if I can get it for free. Anyway would I still have to pay extra to have it shipped? If the person sending it listed it as something else other than a laptop would that make a difference? They are sending it by the post office if that make a difference. Thanks.

Dunno how helpful this is, but when I got my premodded xbox sent from the states, I had them write ;used xbox’ on the docket, therefore lowering the value and in turn the tax.

My two cents,

If you plan to use it in Taiwan for more than a few months, buy it in Taiwan. You’ll be glad you did when it comes time to service or repair it.

When I came to Taiwan, I brought my Dell with me, and at the first hint of trouble, promptly found out that Dell will only service it in the U.S., and will only ship parts to US addresses. Dell’s Taiwan lineup is limited, and if your model isn’t one they have, then they won’t even let you pay them to fix it.

So, to fix my relatively simple problem (but enough to make the notebook unusable) took 2 months, which included numerous overseas phone calls, shipping the parts to a US address, then having someone ship it to Taiwan, paying duty on the parts, and then I had to fix it myself at home on my desk, then pay to have the defective part sent back to Dell.

Don’t know about the other U.S. brands, but I suspect something similar. Since most notebook parts are proprietary, you gotta go back to the manufacturer for service.

Have a friend or relative go and buy your laptop at a reputable dealer in the States. Hopefully you can have it purchased in a state which has no sales tax. Have your friend or family member scan the orginal reciept and email it to you. Have your friend make out a sales reciept showing that they sold it to you, dated and signed for a $1 (scan and email as well). Next have the store do a simple upgrade, say RAM and get a seperate reciept, dated of course. This goes in the box when you have your computer sent DHL to you here in Taiwan. On the box have your friend/family member write “returned for repair”. If the postal inspectors give you any crap, show them the copy inside the box for the memory upgrade. Second, show them the dated copy of the receipt your friend/family member sent you stating you bought it for $1.

Heads up.  Companies like Sony will require you to send  your laptop back to the States for service (not Japan) or at least they used to, 2  years ago.  For some odd reason the locals favor the crap Toshibas and Acers.  I purchased 2 Macs here as the computers came w/ the English/Jap/Chinese keyboards stock whereas they would be exta $ in the States.  Price deference wasn't too much plus I didn't have to pay for the extra... um... stuff.

*There are several different ways to avoid paying import duty here in Taiwan. If you have books sent, have your name written in the front cover of the book. Take off all price tags. If you are having sporting equipment sent, strike up a good relationship w/ a shop back home which will write the “returned for repair” (its actually illegal if it is being repaired so you are basically asking them for a favor) on the box when you mail order stuff from them. I’ve done this for years and have only had one box stopped (local postal authorities wanted US$180 duty). I complained to FedX not only had reimburse me the original cost of the shipping, but have it returned to the States for free. It arrived one week later by DHL (which gave me a 20% lifetime discount if I agreed to switch from FedX to DHL for all future shippings).

** Best part about avoiding import tax and purchasing things from home (Canada, USA, England, ect.) is your putting money in the pockets of your people, the people who deserve the $ the most. Its a nice way to say thankyou to the folks who are taking care of your country while you are away.

Thanks forthe advise. I don’t know how it will work I guess I’ll just have to take my chances and see.

It’s not a new laptop it’s my cousins old laptop he’s giving me. I don’t care if in a few months it stops working, like I said it’s used and it’s free so I don’t care about buying one here. I have a desktop at home anyway.

One more thing. Can someone give me an idea on how much tax I may have to pay. Thanks.

Bumping

(for answers to my above post about the amount of taxes for shipping)

Thanks

Bumping again

Someone must know the answer to my original question. Could someone give me a price range on the amout of import taxes I may have to pay to get a used (gift) laptop shipped here.

[quote]Thanks forthe advise. I don’t know how it will work I guess I’ll just have to take my chances and see.

It’s not a new laptop it’s my cousins old laptop he’s giving me. I don’t care if in a few months it stops working, like I said it’s used and it’s free so I don’t care about buying one here. I have a desktop at home anyway.

One more thing. Can someone give me an idea on how much tax I may have to pay. Thanks.

[/quote]