Ordering Amazon Kindle in Taiwan -- Import Duties and Other Questions

I’m thinking of ordering an Amazon Kindle (Paperwhite) for delivery to Taiwan. Amazon will ship it to Taiwan for 139 USD including delivery (if ordered from Amazon’s international site).

Some questions:

[ol]
[li]If I use Amazon’s international site, will my purchase be subject to Taiwanese Import Duty when it’s delivered to Taiwan? If so, how much?[/li]
[li]Should I use Amazon’s “gift” option, or will doing so lead to complications as the parcel travels through Taiwanese customs?[/li]
[li]Is there anything else I should do to make the delivery happen smoothly?[/li]
[li]Do internationally-shipped Kindles come with advertising? The kindles shipped within the US can be purchased with and without adverts – those without adverts are slightly more expensive. Would like to avoid the adverts if possible.[/li][/ol]

Apologies if any of these questions have been answered elsewhere – I did spend a while searching through past posts, but couldn’t find anything obvious, so would be grateful to hear the experience of other Forumosans.

Cheers!

[quote=“外星人”]Some questions:

[ol]
[li]If I use Amazon’s international site, will my purchase be subject to Taiwanese Import Duty when it’s delivered to Taiwan? If so, how much?[/li]
[li]Should I use Amazon’s “gift” option, or will doing so lead to complications as the parcel travels through Taiwanese customs?[/li]
[li]Is there anything else I should do to make the delivery happen smoothly?[/li]
[li]Do internationally-shipped Kindles come with advertising? The kindles shipped within the US can be purchased with and without adverts – those without adverts are slightly more expensive. Would like to avoid the adverts if possible.[/li][/ol][/quote]
Lots of back and forth in this thread, although the thread has become long enough that it’s kind of hard to find information: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … =7&t=83148

My own experience ordering, in that thread: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 0#p1216760

My Kindle pre-dates the advertising approach, so I don’t know what’ll happen with that here.

Delivery here is quite smooth, both with a courier and post office. I purchase a lot of items from overseas. You won’t have delivery problems. Fedex has even delivered to me after hours. Last week they waited at my door for 20 minutes at night until I got home.

In my experience duties are relatively low. I have also found that if an item comes in via the post office they do not charge any duties, but via a courier company they do. This has happened a few times with parcels from overseas. I am not sure if there is a different procedure?

Marking an item as a gift won’t make any difference anymore. That’s an old trick. They will still charge the necessary duties.

I’ve had all kind of stuff reshipped by my mom USPS. I think out of 5 boxes I’ve paid 200NT and 400NT duty. Keep in mind that these boxes were valued $400+ with a lot of electronics. If you are charged a duty I think it’s 5% but I can’t say for sure since it’s so hit and miss and random.

1. Had no duty to pay. Did have to fax in paperwork to UPS once it arrived in Taiwan.
  2. No need to list it as a gift. Not sure it would really work anyway.
  3. Contact UPS and ask them early what paperwork you’ll need. You might be able to do that once you get your tracking number. They’re really annoying about leaving phone messages.
  4. No ads.

Just got mine not too long ago. Here’s the link to buy them internationally. I’d recommend the 3G. Well worth the extra $$:

amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8 … lias%3Daps

I did order my Kindle on Ruten. No problems, you can get the ad supported version and it is cheaper than the no ad one. Honestly my wife bought an iPad mini and although it is not the same as the experience on the kindle, it is nice to read on it. To import, VAT applies and it is 5%.

I ordered a Paperwhite via Amazon Global a while ago and so far it has spent almost the entire time stuck in customs and will remain there for up to a few weeks according to one office. Another office told me they just didn’t know when I would ever get my package. Who did I piss off to get hassled like this?

I ordered my Paperwhite on a Thursday night last month from Amazon and it was waiting for me the following Tuesday. Once I had my tracking number, I contacted UPS as soon as I had my tracking number and they emailed me the relevant customs documents, which I completed, scanned, and mailed back (along with a copy of my passport). I think this helps to speed up the process…Was very impressed by the service, and even more impressed by my new Kindle.

p.s. feel free to PM me if you want the email address of the UPS guy who sent me the documentation.

I had a similar problem. My Kindle arrived in just a few days, but it stayed stuck at UPS for almost two weeks :fume: while they insisted I had to fax them a copy of my passport, which I rarely use and which was stuck in an inconvenient place. I had to argue with them that

1. I do not own a fax machine, ancient hardware from the mid-twentieth century

2. I have lived in Taiwan for over 30 years. My APRC has a permanent number, and it is issued by the ROC government, therefore it is better than a document reissued by a foreign government every few years

I eventually got UPS to accept a color scan of my APRC, and after another week or so, they finally condescended to deliver my Kindle (without so much as an apology for the long delay).

I have nothing but praise for Amazon, which shipped very promptly, but UPS waited two weeks to deliver my package. To add insult to injury, the import fees were over 10%, which is rather steep.

Several years ago, I ordered some Teaching Company videos and UPS forced me (not open to discussion or negotiation) to fork over an additional substantial sum for “import duties” even though these were purely educational videos, which I am pretty sure should be duty-free. Now I download my Teaching Company videos and avoid UPS’ import duties racket. :bluemad:

If at all possible, in the future I would avoid EVER relying on Taiwan UPS.

Amazon order summary for future reference:

Items: TWD 5,620.53
Shipping & handling: TWD 846.89
Total before tax: TWD 6,467.42
Import Fees Deposit TWD 587.52
------
Order total: TWD 7,054.94

$139.00 – “Kindle Paperwhite, 6” High Resolution Display with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi"
$39.99 – “Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black (does not fit Kindle or Kindle Touch)”