Ordering from Amazon

Is this the right forum to post this question? If not could a mod move it?

Who here has ordered from Amazon for shipping stuff to Taiwan? I placed an order yesterday and Amazon as usual has shipped the item out within 24 hours…fast isn’t it? However, in order to fit their address format I entered “Nangang District” as the city and “Taipei City” as the state/province with Taiwan as the country as well as the proper 3+2 zip code in the zip code field (Amazon wouldn’t take a 3-digit zip for some reason.)

Anyways, I just got the tracking number for UPS and on the site it now shows a delivery exception that says, “The service selected is not available to the destination address. / Downgraded, forwarded to consignee, selected service is not available.”

The package is stuck at Dallas/Fort Worth airport. Is that good or bad? Should I call or write Amazon to sort this out?

[quote=“catfish13”]Is this the right forum to post this question? If not could a mod move it?

Who here has ordered from Amazon for shipping stuff to Taiwan? I placed an order yesterday and Amazon as usual has shipped the item out within 24 hours…fast isn’t it? However, in order to fit their address format I entered “Nangang District” as the city and “Taipei City” as the state/province with Taiwan as the country as well as the proper 3+2 zip code in the zip code field (Amazon wouldn’t take a 3-digit zip for some reason.)

Anyways, I just got the tracking number for UPS and on the site it now shows a delivery exception that says, “The service selected is not available to the destination address. / Downgraded, forwarded to consignee, selected service is not available.”

The package is stuck at Dallas/Fort Worth airport. Is that good or bad? Should I call or write Amazon to sort this out?[/quote]
This appears to me that Amazon will not provide delivery service to Taiwan. They are forwarding your package back to Amazon who will then probably cancel your order and refund your money. (I may be wrong though!) This is probably why you had to force the address info into their format.

Why would they not send it to Taiwan?

I order from Amazon all the time and haven’t had issues like this.

What are you ordering? I’ve never had any troubles with books or CDs or DVDs, but Amazon “USA” (the normal .com address) didn’t use to internationally deliver computer software or, um, food processors or knives pretty much anything besides books/ CDs/ DVDs.

Looking at amazon.com now, I wonder if this has changed: I used to get warnings for items, but now there’s just a comment that “This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.”

My address format as used in Taiwan:

• Address Line 1: street number, floor number, road
  • Address Line2: blank
  • City: Danshui Town
  • State/ Province/ Region: Taipei County
  • ZIP: 25199

(Technically I should now change this to Danshui District / New Taipei City, but if it ain’t broke…)

Amazon does ship stuff to Taiwan. The item I ordered (a top coat) has the same “this item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.” line in the item description section. I called customer service and they said to call them back if UPS or Amazon sent me an email later on about not being able to make delivery.

I’ve ordered from Amazon more than a couple times. Here’s how I set up my address:

555-5 Wenxin Road, Section 5, 5th Floor
Taichung City, Nantun 555
Taiwan

Every package has arrived without any problems.

There is no problem with Amazon orders, EXCEPT stuff from the Marketplace. Stuff from other vendors is not delivered to Taiwan. However, when you make your order, it will tell you so, and will not let the order go through.

Maybe get a P.O. Box for next time?

If you live in Taipei you don’t need to put the district down as the three digit zip tells the PO that information. City is Taipei City, state/province is also Taipei City or whatever option they give.

I have ordered several textbooks from Amazon. I had never had a problem. Then I ordered an inexpensive book about Gengis Khan that I didn’t receive. My biggest complaint is that they provide many email opportunites to complain or as questions but the emails just generate a “piss me off” email of telling me that nobody reads the damned thing. Bottom line is I got charged and didn’t get the book. Nobody gave a shit.
I won’t order from Amazone again.

[quote=“Enigma”]I have ordered several textbooks from Amazon. I had never had a problem. Then I ordered an inexpensive book about Gengis Khan that I didn’t receive. My biggest complaint is that they provide many email opportunites to complain or as questions but the emails just generate a “piss me off” email of telling me that nobody reads the damned thing. Bottom line is I got charged and didn’t get the book. Nobody gave a shit.
I won’t order from Amazone again.[/quote]

Let your credit card company know and they will cancel the payment. That will wake up customer service at Amazon.

[quote=“Enigma”]I have ordered several textbooks from Amazon. I had never had a problem. Then I ordered an inexpensive book about Gengis Khan that I didn’t receive. My biggest complaint is that they provide many email opportunites to complain or as questions but the emails just generate a “piss me off” email of telling me that nobody reads the damned thing. Bottom line is I got charged and didn’t get the book. Nobody gave a shit.
I won’t order from Amazone again.[/quote]

I honestly have no idea how you failed to get a canned response from one of their customer service drones telling you how sorry they are for fucking your shit up and offering you a full refund. Honestly. You did something wrong.

So I looked around here and on the web and it seems like UPS has a knack of messing up the import paperwork and most people have to supply a power of attorney form as well as ID at the customs office in order for your package to clear customs. Now, Amazon has already collected an export fee deposit and they say that I wouldn’t have to pay any more should the import duty be more than what it is, right?

What forms did you have to submit for your >NT$3000 purchases? I can’t seem to find them on the UPS site. Would anyone be willing to put them up online?

I order all the time from Amazon. I’d say about 80% of what I have ordered has been delivered without hic up but the other 20% went to Thailand first but got here in the end.

Call (or get a local to call) the UPS office in Taoyuan and tell them that you are expecting a purchase from Amazon. Ask what they require. They should fax you the details. I’ve had products delayed at Taoyuan while this paperwork is being done, so it’ll save you some time to get it done in advance.

Make sure your phone number is up to date on Amazon’s web site. When my Kindle shipped in, customs contacted me by calling me, not by using e-mail. I then persuaded them to email me the Chinese forms that needed filling out, even though they preferred to fax them.

Also remember to answer your phone if a package is expected. (I can’t be the only one that basically ignores unknown numbers calling me.)

I called up the Taoyuan UPS branch and was told that because they are not sure whether customs declarations will be required I have to wait for them to contact me when it reaches Taipei…

So… what happened next? :slight_smile:

I have probably order close to 100 books from Amazon over the last four years. I have never had any trouble. If anyone wants to buy some of my used books send me a pm.

Does anyone have any experience ordering from Amazon.co.jp?

^I ordered a book and a dvd from em before but as a gift to a singapore address. Customs called the recipient for declaration or something, but things arrived nicely. I like how they have an english version of the site that actually makes sense.

I’ve to order an extension cord for my macbook pro charger and I’m still quite lost on how to translate the address. What’s the difference between “nong” and “xiang”? Are they both “street”?

And Steelersman, i tried to pm you be it doesn’t seem to work. Apparently, according to my mailbox, you don’t exist…