Ordering/shipping masks questions

In the US, CDC has just started suggesting wearing cloth masks. I heard that it’s legal to ship cloth masks and also possibly to ship surgical masks to family. Anyone doing this? I looked on some of the online websites and it looks like you can buy cloth masks for around 40nt/mask and one use paper masks for 15nt.

Is anyone doing this? Advice on legality. Best way to ship?

(I am not particularly interested in whether masks in general work or not, although any thoughts on which masks to buy are welcome.)

Cloth masks are OK, as many as you want. If you can get surgical masks, you can send abroad if you are Taiwanese. If you are Taiwanese, the limit for export to your family is 30 pieces, if you can get that many and prove they are for family members.

If you are a foreigner, you can only send cloth masks. And must check your destination, as most air freight is cancelled.

https://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/Group/index.jsp?ID=150101&news_no=43543&control_type=page&news_cat=4&group_name=post

I’m just thinking to get this:

It’s reusable, just change the filter if clogged, it stops 99% of all dusts. Can also fit organic vapor cartridge if necessary for paint and stuff. It’s really used for working in a dusty environment but it’s really comfortable to wear for a long time compared to a surgical mask and has low (almost none in fact) breathing resistance.

1 Like

Looks like something Bane would wear on his day off.

I wonder if they make something that looks like Darth Vader mask…

Respirators would be best for sure. No idea, but gjven the dust type cartrages are a larger particle size, the chemical ones might be better.

Deleted

Chemical ones are only for toxic fumes and organic vapor. They have organic vapor and acid gas depending on what kind of environment you are in, but in general dust is enough because you won’t be running into organic vapors outside.

Paper masks won’t protect you from any of that, and is uncomfortable as hell.

Isnt the virus considered airborne now? Im not too sure how the filters work actually but if the virus can be carried on water droplets (presumably condensation and rain as well) wouldnt that be the mask filter you want? Now im curious how it would work.

That got me through SARS.

I have seen a couple of folk on the MRT and at least one coworker with that.

This one has a better fit than disposable respirators, me thinks. Just remember how uncomfortable it is to wear one the whole day.

They may look freaky but if I am required to wear a mask then it might as well be comfortable, and those 3M masks are designed to be worn all day because people literally trust their lives to it while working in toxic environments. If that can’t protect you from germs, nothing else will and certainly those paper masks wont.

If germs coming out of exhale valve is such a problem could fit a small filter on it… may increase breathing resistance a bit but I don’t like the way paper masks feel on my face.

1 Like

What about protecting your eyes?

Well, do you think paper masks will protect your eyes?

Definitely not. But if you’re going to be invest that much into an expensive (?) respirator mask, you may also want to consider getting something to protect your eyes.

I thought we went through this?

It is the only solution

1 Like

The other day I did see a woman on campus wearing protective goggles, like for a chemistry lab, as she was walking around outside. Perhaps this was because of the virus, or maybe her regular glasses just happened to break and she had prescription lab goggles around.

The plastic whole face covers will be the next rage, I´m telling ya!

https://www.amazon.com/-/zh_TW/dp/B0862555BD/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+face+shield&qid=1586150208&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.com/-/zh_TW/dp/B086CCGRRX/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=plastic+face+shield&qid=1586150208&sr=8-5

Only 150 NTD here in Taiwan! Cheap!

2 Likes

Our school nurse wears those and I’ve noticed a few students wearing them recently too.

2 Likes

Though the point is real on eye protection, i wonder if there is sarcasm in that (sorry if i misread)? Respirators are seriously useful and FAR more comfortable! Like he said, they are designed for everyday, and all day, use in serious situations…more than just not spitting on people. Currently i am stuck going to hospitals recently and using face masks. The tops of my ears are bleeding due to the strings rubbing the skin for hours. I dont wear glasses, a joke i am making with the doctors :slight_smile: They are insanely hot due to low air flow, and the air flow that happens is likely 80%, or more, through cracks between the mask and the the face (meaning not filtering through the weave of the fibers). They are only useful in the sense you arent directly spraying nose/mouth liquid directly at people and things. Same the other way around. Anything airborne they are merely stopping your body from exchanging gas into your lungs normally and not preventing the thing floating around.

The other useful point is the exchange your nose/mouth makes with particles is vastly greater than ones surface contact to their eyes. Surely eye contamination is real and goggles can be worn. But it seems people judge othersbwearing a respirator more due to “face” related reasons rather than logical reasoning… It astonishes me that the west is still amazed at how quarantine and basic prevention (like masks, how to figure out logistics of transfering materials, food etc etc) works when it was the west who essentially took the whole cleanliness thing into next level excellenence when it comes to food safety and introduced species (as examples of a far broader scope)

Look at meat processing measures in the west. Look at New Zealands customs lines screening exotic species introductions and explain to me why the west is still uncertian on simple shit like social distancing and wearing masks. This world is straight up retarded. There is no logic anymore it seems. And i mean retarded in the literal sense of something is actuallybcausing brain malfunction, not the “idiot” sense. Though both usages probably equally apply.

No worries. No sarcasm intended. It was a serious question regarding eye protection. Because if a person is concerned enough to buy this level of protection, then the person should also consider all potential vectors of infection.