Oriented Happy Hours

For those of you who skip the home page and come directly to the forums, ORIENTED is having a happy hour Thursday evening.

Mingson gives the details at
http://oriented.org/events.shtml

cranky,

Does that mean we’ll see you there in your powder blue leisure suit, swizzling a foamy pina colada in a pineapple shell, with a pink umbrella?

Never! Everyone knows real men prefer lime-green umbrellas.

So are we going to have silly hats, scottish brogues, test cases, theater commentary, social-circle commentary and pinyin ranting there, too? Is there a weapons check at the door?

Hey, I’ve got an idea! All the guys with Taiwanese girlfriends can bring them and we can try to guess which of the three categories they resemble most closely! :unamused: :wink:

No Scottish brogues, I’m afraid – I have to work Thursday evenings. I’ll be there in spirit, though, scowling into my beer in a corner and putting everyone down in an ill-natured, nasal, whiny voice. Have fun.

Poagao,
Don’t you know you’re supposed to come as your moniker?
I imagine a ‘Poagao’ is sort of a hobbit-like creature with furry feet and a bouncy personality.
A ‘cranky laowai’ sounds rather offputting actually and the lime green brelly clashing with the leisure suit and fat gut sounds hellish! ‘Ironlady’ should have a huge wig and a pompous demeanour. An ‘Angst’ would have to come as a ball of yarn.
Aliens are always a bit frightning.

“Poagao” is just the Taiwanese pronunciation of “Po-hou” or 潑猴. There’s nothing Hobbit-like about the Happy Monkey except for furry feet, unless Hobbits wear strange headgear.

Is one restaurant enough for all of the guys with Taiwanese girlfriends? From what I’ve seen, perhaps we should hire one of the WTC halls.

Well, can the women with Taiwanese boyfriends come too, with tape measures?

When does it start and end? No mention of the “happy hour” period in the copy on this site. A lot of people are asking, “When?”

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy: When does it start and end? No mention of the "happy hour" period in the copy on this site. A lot of people are asking, "When?"
Oops! Sorry - 7:00 to 9:00 pm. See you there!

Sorry! Just added the info in. Always 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. in every city on the last Thursday of every month. Confirmed for April 25th are Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei, San Francisco and Seattle. Thanks.

http://www.oriented.com

Hey folks, what a great turnout. Thanks to those of you who came! Would love to know your thoughts as well as suggestions for venues. =)

Also, did anyone get a count of the number of people that attended? I got there late and Mingson says she’s terrible with counting (lol).

At least we didn’t have to move this topic to the to “Taiwan Fights” thread. I was on my best behavior, I hope you all noticed. I even left my sword at home.

The venue got a bit loud and crowded later on; perhaps for the next one we could find someplace a bit more space and less pseudo-Brazilian mambo accompaniment?

Break out the bubbly, cuz the next ORIENTED Happy Hour is going to be happening April 25th at Champagne, a nice little place at #75 Anhe Road, Section 1, between Xinyi and Renai Roads, across from the elementary school. From 7 to 9 pm, the whole place is exclusively for ORIENTED people, and after that there’ll be an area reserved for us, while the rest will be open to their regular clientele.

[]Coors Light: Buy two, get one free[]Free finger food: sandwiches, canapes, vegetable sticks, chips and nuts
    [/list]Come and get to know your ORIENTED comrades in person!
quote:
Originally posted by Maoman: From 7 to 9 pm, the whole place is exclusively for ORIENTED people, and after that there'll be an area reserved for us, while the rest will be open to their regular clientele.

I feel a bit uncomfortable about the possibility of local people turning up, only to find themselves shut out, while a bunch of mostly foreign-looking people are are enjoying themselves inside. Sounds like a potential cause of resentment. Is that really necessary?

I wouldn’t be too concerned. First of all, most people don’t go out on the town until at least 9:00 anyway. And you’re assuming that the majority of people attending will be non-sino. Actually, we’ve got ABCs, BBCs, CBCs and right on through the alphabet. Also a lot of Taiwan returnees, i.e., people born here, raised abroad, and recently returned to the motherland. Anyway most Taiwanese here don’t think that way. If you mentioned your concern to them they would probably say “Ni xiang tai duole!” (You think too much!) Anyway, if they look really thirsty, I’m letting them in anyway. Especially if they’re cute and thirsty. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

quote:
Originally posted by Maoman: ...you're assuming that the majority of people attending will be non-sino

If I’m assuming that, it’s based on my impression of the ethnic composition of the last (i.e. the first) Oriented social. Not that I actually counted at the time. Note that I said “foreign-looking”, not “foreign”, because Chinese-looking people might be foreign, and foreign-looking people might be Chinese, and some of us are not quite sure what we are, right?

Any room for those of us non-professionals who teach English here or will it all be professional class people and their others (significant or otherwise)?

quote:
Originally posted by Tai Le Meiguoren: Any room for those of us non-professionals who teach English here or will it all be professional class people and their others (significant or otherwise)?
Hell, yes, there's room for everybody. The more the merrier, variety is the spice of life and all that. I'll be there a bit later on, probably around 8:30 or so, due to a previous commmitment, but I'd love to meet the people that post on Oriented, and I don't give a hoot how people choose to label each other. We're all just trying to get (or stay) "oriented" here, right? [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]