Oscars on tube? (2007)

Does anybody know when the Oscars will be shown on TV over here?

Oscars on live. Watch The 79th Annual Academy Awards ceremony live on MM1 from 09:00am

Who will walk off with the movie industry’s most coveted awards this year? Catch the Academy Awards Pre-Show and the glamourous event itself right here!

The Academy Awards have been held since 1929, and after three-quarters of a century of recognising excellence in cinema achievement, the annual presentation of the Oscars has become the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ most famous activity.

All voting for the awards is conducted by secret ballot and tabulated by the international auditing firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers. Secrecy is maintained by the auditors - the results of balloting are not revealed until the now-famous envelopes are opened on stage during the live television programme.

Because the Academy numbers among its members the ablest artists and craftsmen in the motion picture world, the Oscar represents the best achievements of the year in the opinion of those who themselves reside at the top of their craft.

i think Star Movies will air them.

Yeah Really hard to find if you dont look a the schedules

startv.com/schedule/daily.ht … h=2&day=26

TV Schedule for STAR MOVIES in Taiwan on 26 Feb 2007.

09:00 THE 79TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS 240 mins

Who cares!

asdf

I laughed, I cried, I picked my nose. It was heartwarming and it made me feel all oozy inside when I saw what the vastly eclectic list of documentaries - or Rockumentaries! to steal from MTV- were about:

1. We are about to die from global warming (theory? F&$* No!),
  2. Story about a religious (Christian) pedophiliac,
  3. War in Iraq,
  4. Damning critic of small religious (Christian) schools,
    …and of course to add a little flavor to the porridge, he says with a wink-wink, nudge-nudge, I think you know what I’m talking about: something really different…
  5. War in Iraq

I think the Oscars did a spectacular job of showing the world what America is about: saving it from CO2. All this mess about Aids and Malaria killing people is so 90’s. After watching the Oscars, I cannot see any reason why the people of the world are not, at this very moment, smashing their AK-47s apart against their SUVs and placing the pieces into furnaces, taking this raw metal and hammering out plows (or sickles, but that might bring up bad associations).

[quote=“Groo”]I laughed, I cried, I picked my nose. It was heartwarming and it made me feel all oozy inside when I saw what the vastly eclectic list of documentaries - or Rockumentaries! to steal from MTV- were about:

1. We are about to die from global warming (theory? F&$* No!),
  2. Story about a religious (Christian) pedophiliac,
  3. War in Iraq,
  4. Damning critic of small religious (Christian) schools,
    …and of course to add a little flavor to the porridge, he says with a wink-wink, nudge-nudge, I think you know what I’m talking about: something really different…
  5. War in Iraq

I think the Oscars did a spectacular job of showing the world what America is about: saving it from CO2. All this mess about Aids and Malaria killing people is so 90’s. After watching the Oscars, I cannot see any reason why the people of the world are not, at this very moment, smashing their AK-47s apart against their SUVs and placing the pieces into furnaces, taking this raw metal and hammering out plows (or sickles, but that might bring up bad associations).[/quote]

alicublog.blogspot.com/2

[quote=“MikeN”]

And another thing I want to bitch about… how about that cultural sophistication of Hollywood. I almost choked when I heard them announce that the original movie “The Departed” was based on (“Infernal Affairs”) was made in Japan! Hong Kong, Japan same difference, right.

Why do you assume I’m a right-wing nut? Oh yeah, it’s because I’m complaining about Hollywood being too political.

My wife was the translator for this years broadcast, they watched it live at 9am on a live feed then translated it and rebroadcast it at 9pm.

Is she sick of America now too?

How do those jokes come across to the Taiwanese? Some of the jokes were quite funny, but culturally specific, right?
Jerry Seinfield cannot open his mouth without causing me to split my gut.

How do those jokes come across to the Taiwanese? Some of the jokes were quite funny, but culturally specific, right?
Jerry Seinfield cannot open his mouth without causing me to split my gut.[/quote]

Mostly they don’t; she also translates the Simpsons and when it is stuff like,“Toss his salad!” writing in Chinese “lick his asshole” is just not as funny as the original. Many times she has to stick with a literal translation and the joke is lost.

But then again when I watch local tv the hilarity is lost on me as I don’t really find hitting slutty hello kitty girls on the foot with a stick all that amusing.

:wink:

Jerry Seinfield cannot open his mouth without causing me to split my gut.[/quote]

Mostly they don’t; she also translates the Simpsons and when it is stuff like,“Toss his salad!” writing in Chinese “lick his asshole” is just not as funny as the original. Many times she has to stick with a literal translation and the joke is lost.

But then again when I watch local tv the hilarity is lost on me as I don’t really find hitting slutty hello kitty girls on the foot with a stick all that amusing.

:wink:[/quote]

I heard the comedy movies that succeed in most any country are slapstick.