Ouch! Over 5,000 score "zero" for English composition in joint exam

Ouch! Over 5,000 score “zero” for English composition in joint exam

The College Entrance Examination Center last week released the results of this year’s Advanced Subjects Test. …and the average score was 48 out of a possible 100.

The task in the composition section of the English test was very different from previous years,
… choose one of three community activity plans — including providing services to the elderly, and organizing a fair with distinctive features or an art and culture event — and then elaborate on their pick.

As many as 5,525 students scored “zero” on the English composition section, the highest number in recent years.
According to cram school teachers, the English test this year attached importance to students’ critical thinking and creativity, …

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/archives/2018/07/26/2003697362

Over 5000 scored 0? How is that statistically possible?

They probably just skipped it.

1 Like

We had a 20 year old student try out my schools writing composition class (average age is about 14) and he was to write a 120 word composition on his favourite thing to do during summer break and all he could write was:

"my team, the team there are basketball, attack
attack. attack.do the another team. attack "

It was one of the most alarming things I have ever read.

8 Likes

Thanks. Shouldn’t the news venue verify that then? Oh wait, nevermind. It was meant to sensationalize the news.

Wow, what kind of basketball is he playing? Sounds so much fun!

1 Like

So my question is: they go to school 14 hours a day, and may have 12 to 20 hours of English lessons a week. What the putisima are they learning?!

Did you read the article? The statistics was released by the College Entrance Examination Center. And they scored “zero” on the English composition section.

I’ll take that as a rhetorical question…

Sleep in class, zone out in class, talk Chinese in class, don’t want to learn so just ignore you, ask their friend what to say and then repeat it, whole class tells them what to say and they still fuck it up etc

4 Likes

They are attending. Not learning. And later they bring this attitude to the workplace.

4 Likes

Don’t see much of this from the locals at my workplace haha

They don’t care, they’re gone look for a job in China anyways. No need for English.

2 Likes

The ban on teaching English to children under the age of 7 is starting to show.

This ban is about 16 years old now!
Good job!
Keep up this nonsense, and then require the kids to pass an English test before they can go to the high school, college/university of their choice.

1 Like

This country must have some crappy English teachers.

3 Likes

This country has no English teachers, they are glorified animators.:wink::thinking:

Just left a public, English Magnet School.
They’re learning bad methods of rote memorization and have little to no reinforcement outside of the classroom.
And the majority of them, as already said, always rely on the “smart” kid to tell them the answer, then butcher it when they try to repeat it.
I only had emersion classes with them once a week, and they have 3 classes with local teachers a week. Definitely not enough time, especially at what they called an English specialty school.
Very disenchanting, but that’s why I’m moving into an International School this year instead.

One more time:

The schools perform the duties of parenting that parents cannot do because they are working. The teaching part, focused on passing illogical standardized tests for which you need the answers to understand the questions, is left to buxiban or cram schools. The best schools have the tests and answers and kids memorize the stuff. The others are left to struggle and or drown.

Has anyone worked in technical or professional schools, you know, where kids learn a trade instead of purely academic? Maybe it is different there.

I have the worst impression of international schools, from bullying to content. But I have never worked there, so I only have 3rd party feedback.

English is irrelevant to most ppl’s daily lives and their living surroundings.
you can’t really acquire a language if it’s not of use.

I had to learn French from 7th grade all the way up to 12th grade, I did well on tests/exams and all. But truthfully, I don’t remember a thing now.

4 Likes

French is irrelevant to this discussion. Most Taiwanese actually do get to use English at least a little bit in their jobs. No one ever gets to use French, it’s no longer a lingua franca whereas English is.