Our neighbor hates our dog

Alright, so this story is ridiculous.

We moved into our apartment 4 months ago now, my girlfriend, my dog, and me.

Within the first week, the neighbor was at the door yelling at my girlfriend about how we can’t have a dog and how she doesn’t like it and we need to get rid of it. Now, our landlord has seen the dog and has no problem with it.

A month later, the neighbor runs into my girlfriend on the elavator, and spends the whole time talking under her breath about how much it stinks and it’s making the hallway between our apartments smell. Ok, sure, we can’t smell anything, but we go and buy one of those machines that sprays air freshener and leave it in the hallway.

Last night, this neighbor, she talks to our landlords (they used to live here before, and apparently she has complained a lot about past tenants).

Our landlord is saying we should move out, and that she’ll give us back the deposit.

Here’s my issue though- f*** this neighbor. She doesn’t get to tell me how to live my life or make me move. And, as far as I’m aware, we can’t actually be kicked out for this issue, we’ve done nothing wrong. And as far as I understand things, you cannot be evicted because the neighbor doesn’t like your dog.

Also, I like my apartment and we’ve only been here 4 months!

So what do you guys think? Do we have to move? Can our landlord make us?

[edited by mod]

Fucj her tell her she stinks up the place,makes noise etc. Start complaining about her to all your neighbours and your landlord too.

Fire with fire. Also tell your landlord you aren’t going anywhere you just moved in.

1 Like

I swear I just saw this exactly similar story on FB posted just a few minutes ago

I think the key question is: Are you and your gf dog pram pushers?

If so, perhaps your neighbor has toxic dog pram pusherism

2 Likes

Your neighbor probably has a longstanding relationship with your landlord, which is more valuable to your landlord than the rental income. If your landlord suggests you move out and your neighbor hates you, you have three options:

(1) Stand your ground and be confrontational. This might backfire, especially if your neighbor owns her apartment and argues that you having a dog lowers the “value” of her (and your landlord’s) place.
(2) Avoid engaging and just ignore everybody.
(3) Move, move on and don’t waste your energy with this.

2 Likes

Send a gigolo over to her house. It sounds like needs it.

Try to talk to the landlord. Explain about moving fees, extra rent incurred when moving, etc. If she didn’t have a problem with the dog, what’s the problem? Is there something she’s not telling you? Can anything by done to ameliorate the situation? Don’t be confrontational. What does the contract say if they break it?

2 Likes

This.

Let the landlord understand very clearly that you expect them to cover the cost of your move. This is a huge inconvenience they are placing on you. Not the other way around. Hit em in their pocket books and that should do the trick. Money talks.

2 Likes

i would take the advice and not go crazy. but exact revenge in secret. does your neighbor do anything illegal? if i needed to exact revenge on my neighbors i don’t think it would be too hard. my neighbors are up to a whole bunch of s***, i think most Taiwanese people are. is your dog loud btw? what is this persons beef?

[edited by mod]

Yup, I’d say I’ll move but deposit back and 2 months rent in addition for my moving costs and inconvenience.

2 Likes

Better move before the neighbor harms you or the dog. Next tenant will have a different problem. The neighbor is most likely looking to buy the property and that is why the harassment won’t stop.

It is bad luck. Sure, you can stand your ground. But you do not have your own landlord’s support. There is a reason for that.

2 Likes

Not sure this part is a good idea.

Just tell the neighbor you don’t have a dog. And that she must be smelling a dog from somewhere else. If she sees said dog then say its a friend’s that is visiting.

1 Like

I our elevator it’s mostly people that stink it up. Betel nut, cigarette odor, sweat ass. I should complain and have them asked to move out.

Don’t let them bully and drive you out OP. You’re well within your rights to live there and shame on that landlord for saying you should move. And they say Taiwan is friendly…

I’d start by putting a wreath on her doorstep. If that doesn’t work try putting a horses head there instead. The neighbor, if she’s seen The Godfather will take the hint and back off. Or she may view it as a tasty morsel if she’s ever tried Japanese Basashi. Either way you can’t go wrong.

2 Likes