Our own portfolio...?

Should our discussion group put forward ideeas for our very own p/f of stocks and other kinds of investment instruments?

I think that’d be pretty neat.

edited* of course, I mean a virtual p/f. Unless… ;0

Kenneth

Are there any sites that allow you to build a virtual portfolio of the stocks you would have bought if you had any money?

It would be good to see how our various investors compare over time. Everyone could start out with the same amount of notional money, and see who has most at the end of an agreed time period.

Good idea, Ken.

I’m in.

What’s the amount?

100K?

List buy and sell dates and amounts.

Are we talking about ANY stocks, funds, indexes?

let’s set the rules. :slight_smile:

Start 1st of March 2005.

Amount US$10,000 - let’s keep this at a level that is feasible for the average forumosan.

Your virtual portfolio must be managed through an online trading service, or services, that will factor in transaction costs. Picking the best site(s) to work through is part of the challenge.

Invest in any freely tradeable shares, stocks, commodities, bonds, currencies etc. worldwide. ie anything that can be bought/sold on a recognised exchange through your broker.

Portfolios will be valued in US$s but may be invested anywhere and in any currency.

For simplicity, let’s keep tax out of this. I know it’s an important issue, but it would be complicated by nationality, residence, domicile, etc.

Post your brokers, trades, reasons, and net worth here whenever anything happens.

Duration? Suggestions? Six months?

Prize pool: Non-obligatory pledges of NT$1000 per participant. 50% of prize money goes to the winner, 25% to second place, 15% to third, 10% to nominated good cause.

I’m just going to watch, because I don’t know anything about investing. Let’s try and make this educational for the lurkers.

Enjoy.

[quote=“Loretta”]

I’m just going to watch, .[/quote]

:slight_smile:

edit: ok I’ll edit that. Come ON man. We need the bucks at the victory party…the more people, the more beer. Or must I shake a bottle in front of your face and say, “Whiiiiiiiskey!”

[quote=“Loretta”]Start 1st of March 2005.

Amount US$10,000 - let’s keep this at a level that is feasible for the average forumosan.

Your virtual portfolio must be managed through an online trading service, or services, that will factor in transaction costs. Picking the best site(s) to work through is part of the challenge.

Invest in any freely tradeable shares, stocks, commodities, bonds, currencies etc. worldwide. ie anything that can be bought/sold on a recognised exchange through your broker.

Portfolios will be valued in US$s but may be invested anywhere and in any currency.

For simplicity, let’s keep tax out of this. I know it’s an important issue, but it would be complicated by nationality, residence, domicile, etc.

Post your brokers, trades, reasons, and net worth here whenever anything happens.

Duration? Suggestions? Six months?

Prize pool: Non-obligatory pledges of NT$1000 per participant. 50% of prize money goes to the winner, 25% to second place, 15% to third, 10% to nominated good cause.

I’m just going to watch, because I don’t know anything about investing. Let’s try and make this educational for the lurkers.

Enjoy.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback…

Okay. My intention was not a competition, but a kind of virtual investment club, for people to share ideas on stocks, and together we pick a stock or group of stocks, etc. to create a portfolio together…

BUT…

A competition is a great idea, but we wouldn’t be able to make our pf’s available to anyone else for viewing, checking, boasting… Yahoo! Doesn’t have that feature… I don’t know any system that does.

Let’s see what others say…

Kenneth

quicken will do it…but dat costs money

One thing we should really consider…are we trading? Or should we buy and hold our picks…the latter would be far less complicated…and no one could cheat and buy the highest jumping penny stock every day

[quote=“Loretta”]Are there any sites that allow you to build a virtual portfolio of the stocks you would have bought if you had any money?

It would be good to see how our various investors compare over time. Everyone could start out with the same amount of notional money, and see who has most at the end of an agreed time period.

Good idea, Ken.[/quote]

I think there are several. Here’s one that’s apparently free: game.marketwatch.com/Competition … onHome.asp

www.fool.com used to have a tracker, and they are one of the best sources for info … but i seem to recall that the changed to a semi-pay site a while back.

in any event, they are worth a look before you make any picks, virtual or real.

i’d like to get in on this, but time is not available till summer, so i’m out till round 2. i’ll keep an eye on what happens though.

[quote=“xtrain_01”]www.fool.com used to have a tracker, and they are one of the best sources for info … but i seem to recall that the changed to a semi-pay site a while back.

in any event, they are worth a look before you make any picks, virtual or real.

I’d like to get in on this, but time is not available till summer, so I’m out till round 2. I’ll keep an eye on what happens though.[/quote]

Fool.com does have a tracker portfolio…but I’m a member so I don’t know if it’s available to all…

OK, here’s my list and reasons:

75 shares of MO: Big MO is going to rock and roll this year IMHO. The price is 10-20 dollars below where it should be. Once the racketeering charges are gone, Kraft is cut off, the stock should rocket up. And rumors are that MO will split this summer. The dividend is sweet. Safe play in my book.

50 shares of BIIB. Biogen just got hit with bad news. A drug for MS was voluntarily withdrawn from the market. The stock dropped 45% overnight. The thing is, that drug was new to the market and it has had little effect on earnings. Market is way overreacting on this one. Should get a decent bounce if not a complete return to sensibility.

75 shares of CREE. The chipmaker is in several very good spots for growth in the coming years, LED makers and RF chips. With the LCD TV thing picking up, and wireless becoming more and more the standard in every toy, PDA and phone out there, CREE should do well.

1450 SCON. This is another chipmaker. It’s a daytrader for sure. It regularly fluctuates between .90 cents and 1.20. A man has to have some fun. :slight_smile:

So, there I am, as of 3/1/05

MO 75 shares @ 65.65 = 4,923.75
BIIB 50 shares @ 38.65 = 1932.5
CREE 75 shares @ 23.52 = 1764
SCON 1450 shares @ .92 = 1334

pluse 28$ for online trades using Scottrade.

cash: 17.75$

500 shares ELN @8
220 shares PFE @ 26.29

Thats my portfolio. Good luck!

Here’s my first recommendation…

1. AMTD

finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=AMTD+

no debt, profit margin 30% despite tough competition, …

My wife’s recommendation

1. TWX

finance.yahoo.com/q?s=TWX&d=t

Kenneth

[quote=“panda”]500 shares ELN @8
220 shares PFE @ 26.29

Thats my portfolio. Good luck![/quote]

PFE maybe

ELN, not much chance…

hugh decline in stock price, no profits, declining inchome, and the reason for buying is…?

Kenneth

[quote]KenTaiwan98 wrote (end of March 2005 !!)

1. AMTD

finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=AMTD+

no debt, profit margin 30% despite tough competition, …
[/quote]

then the price was a little over 10, now it is a bit under 15.
Are we proud of Ken ??

PS. Ken just moved to his new house in Monte Carlo…

ECA-TO
also listed on the
NYSE
100 shares@74.12
Split 2 for 1 @82.??
now
200 shares@49.20

ca.finance.yahoo.com/q?m=c&s=ECA&d=v1

Ski

http://www.virtualstockexhange.com

nm… jeff already posted it.
( http://game.marketwatch.com/Competitions/CompetitionHome.asp )

[quote=“panda”]500 shares ELN @8
220 shares PFE @ 26.29

Thats my portfolio. Good luck![/quote]

Ok its the end of the year and time to check our portfolios.

Mine is now worth:
500 ELN @ 13.40 - $6700
220 PFE @ 24.00 - $5280 + dividend

11980 or roughly 19.8%

Im selling my ELN and keeping it in cash one month cds at 3.6% for this moment.

Nice work Panda.

[quote]
MO 75 shares @ 65.65 = 4,923.75
BIIB 50 shares @ 38.65 = 1932.5
CREE 75 shares @ 23.52 = 1764
SCON 1450 shares @ .92 = 1334 [/quote]

Now:

MO @76.81 = 5,760.75 plus dividends
BIIB @ 45.47 = 2,273.5
CREE @ 26.42 = 1,981.5
SCON @ .46 = 667

eh…

Nice move in MO though. (Good thing I have that in our real portfolio.) :slight_smile:
BIIB did a little bounce
CREE squeaked up a bit
SCON crapped out. :raspberry: (But this is why I rarely buy pennystocks; most of them crap out; some of them don’t: the first penny stock I bought was SIRIUS satellite radio.)

Are we gonna continue this into 2006?

I’ll sell BIIB and CREE, put that dough into MO, and keep SCON. Hopefully they’ll get bought.