Outlook Express questions

I’ve searched but not found solutions to two problems I’ve had with Outlook Express for a donkey’s age, and since people on this board seem so knowledgeable and come up with such great answers to questions I’ve had in the past, I thought I’d throw these two things out to you.

1. The space between the salutation and the first paragraph of my email messages gets deleted automatically when i send messages. This happens when I use “rich text (HTML).” Sometimes I remember to go back to just under the salutation and hit the Enter key once again, which seems to do the trick, but I don’t always. This is annoying, and it makes my outgoing email messages look bad. Is there a fix for this?

2. Is there a way to format the font and font size of my signature?

Thanks for any help!

[quote=“rousseau”]I’ve searched but not found solutions to two problems I’ve had with Outlook Express for a donkey’s age, and since people on this board seem so knowledgeable and come up with such great answers to questions I’ve had in the past, I thought I’d throw these two things out to you.

1. The space between the salutation and the first paragraph of my email messages gets deleted automatically when i send messages. This happens when I use “rich text (HTML).” Sometimes I remember to go back to just under the salutation and hit the Enter key once again, which seems to do the trick, but I don’t always. This is annoying, and it makes my outgoing email messages look bad. Is there a fix for this?

2. Is there a way to format the font and font size of my signature?

Thanks for any help![/quote]

Well, I don’t use Outlook Express, but I’ll try to help anyway.

Can’t help you with the first one (yet), but for the second, you could try writing your signature in a Word document and saving it somewhere. Obviously you could choose whatever font you want there. Then in Outlook Express go to Tools > Options > Signatures and in Edit Signature, instead of editing the “Text”, check the “File” checkbox and browse to that Word file.

If you do this and the font doesn’t carry across, I’m afraid you’re probably shit out of luck.

[quote=“irishstu”]Can’t help you with the first one (yet), but for the second, you could try writing your signature in a Word document and saving it somewhere. Obviously you could choose whatever font you want there. Then in Outlook Express go to Tools > Options > Signatures and in Edit Signature, instead of editing the “Text”, check the “File” checkbox and browse to that Word file.

If you do this and the font doesn’t carry across, I’m afraid you’re probably shit out of luck.[/quote]I think you can just directly copy/paste text from Word including formatting.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“irishstu”]Can’t help you with the first one (yet), but for the second, you could try writing your signature in a Word document and saving it somewhere. Obviously you could choose whatever font you want there. Then in Outlook Express go to Tools > Options > Signatures and in Edit Signature, instead of editing the “Text”, check the “File” checkbox and browse to that Word file.

If you do this and the font doesn’t carry across, I’m afraid you’re probably shit out of luck.[/quote]I think you can just directly copy/paste text from Word including formatting.[/quote]

For sure, but I think he wants this to be inserted automatically each time. Or do you mean into the bit where you define the signature in the settings? Cos that’s in plain text in Outlook Express (as far as I can see (I’m definitely no Outlook Express expert, btw)).

I’d recommend Thunderbird over Outlook Express. It’s free and it will even import your old Express messages.

mozilla-europe.org/en/products/thunderbird/

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“irishstu”]Can’t help you with the first one (yet), but for the second, you could try writing your signature in a Word document and saving it somewhere. Obviously you could choose whatever font you want there. Then in Outlook Express go to Tools > Options > Signatures and in Edit Signature, instead of editing the “Text”, check the “File” checkbox and browse to that Word file.

If you do this and the font doesn’t carry across, I’m afraid you’re probably shit out of luck.[/quote]I think you can just directly copy/paste text from Word including formatting.[/quote]

For sure, but I think he wants this to be inserted automatically each time. Or do you mean into the bit where you define the signature in the settings? Cos that’s in plain text in Outlook Express (as far as I can see (I’m definitely no Outlook Express expert, btw)).[/quote]
Oh yeah, just realised that. I’m a dumbo.

Well, nothing works. It appears that the formatting for my signature defaults to whatever the formatting was in the message to which I’m responding. Most times I select the block of text that makes up my signature and change the font face and size manually, and other times I can’t be bothered. Though it bothers me, still.

The disappearing blank line between the salutation and the first paragraph is a real puzzler, too. Maybe it’s time I tried a new email program? Problem is, I’m lazy, and prefer to minimize how much time I spend working on the nuts and bolts of my computer setup. Maybe I’ll feel motivated one of these days to do it, though.

Use something, anything other than Outlook Express. It’s not worth the free you paid for it. You actually took the time to post a question about it on an Internet forum. Doesn’t that tell you something? No self-respecting email program I know would subject its user to having to do that.

This is true. I used Outlook Express for ages because when I started it was better than crap like Pegasus Mail ten years ago. But the formatting always annoyed me in a variety of ways. It adds line breaks when you post on newsgroups for example. So you can edit text in what seems like WYSIWYG mode and get it looking ok, post it and get something butt ugly because of added breaks. Now you can learn to work around stuff like this, but what’s the point.

Install Thunderbird. Import all your messages from Outlook. Use something where the text editor actually works in modern way. Thunderbird has a spam blocker too. And it has support for format=flowed too. That means you can reply to people and quoting works automatically, with no need to fix line breaks and move >'s by hand. Wow.

And if you desperately want to stick with M$, Windows Live Mail is the latest free software.

Live mail sucks badly and now Outlook Express simply wont work. Used to like it, now its trash. Thunderbird is the way to go (have to set up a gmail account tho, no biggie).
easy to set up and works fine

It was me that started this thread a year ago. Here’s another question: Say I’m a freelance guy with a desktop at the home office and a laptop for doing crazy things like doing some work or correspondence at a cafe. In the past I’ve accessed email via Outlook Express on my laptop, and even configured my laptop so that the messages I receive remain on the server so that I can have them all there at home, but the messages I send out from my laptop can only be copied to my home office computer via a cumbersome and complicated process that I don’t have the stomach for.

So I’m thinking I’d like to do all of my email in a web browser and have the messages saved online. Gmail is an obvious choice for that, and I do have a Gmail account, but I’d also like to use my business email address, the one with dot-com at the end of it.

Can you configure Gmail so that you’re sending and receiving email messages with the email account that you used to use Outlook Express for?

EDIT THE FIRST: Actually, d’uh, I just figured it out. Hmm…I’m thinking of using my Gmail account exclusively to deal with my POP email so that I don’t have to worry syncing messages between my laptop and my desktop. Or would anyone have any other suggestions?

EDIT THE SECOND: Okay, I haven’t used Gmail much at all, and am realizing that I’m a very linear person when it comes to keeping track of messages: I like them lined clearly by date and time and in separate categories for in and out, none of this fancy “conversation” for me. Does Gmail insist on these “conversations,” or can it also basically act like Outlook Express?