Overcharging for CNY

Two years ago my parents came to visit me in Chia Yi during Chinese New Year. We got a cab from the train station and they bumped the price up $100nt, not alot but my dad was pissed. He said “The meter says $250 and that’s what I’ll pay.” I had to translate this to the cabbie and he said the extra money was for working during Chinese New Year.

Here’s my problem. If someone doesn’t want to work during the holiday they don’t have to. If they choose to work then they should charge the same price as any other day of the year.

Work or don’t but don’t overcharge people…that sucks!

[quote=“Grasshopper”]Two years ago my parents came to visit me in Chia Yi (Jiayi) during Chinese New Year. We got a cab from the train station and they bumped the price up $100nt, not alot but my dad was pissed. He said “The meter says $250 and that’s what I’ll pay.” I had to translate this to the cabbie and he said the extra money was for working during Chinese New Year.

Here’s my problem. If someone doesn’t want to work during the holiday they don’t have to. If they choose to work then they should charge the same price as any other day of the year.

Work or don’t but don’t overcharge people…that sucks![/quote]

Eh, it’s part of the Taiwanese culture. As much as you don’t like it, if the Taiwanese people cannot change the taxi drivers, do you think the foreigners can??

yep, that is Taiwanese Taxi driver for you, I feel bad for you but sorry… nothing we can do… sigh… :unamused:

Charges get bumped up all over greater china during cny.

Hotels, planes, taxis, just enjoy that you get to spend another festive season here. :mooh:

I’m not against the overcharging as such - better to actually get a taxi when you desperately need one rather than there being none. I suspect the thing you’re actually annoyed about is that they didn’t TELL you beforehand and let you make an informed decision whether to pay it or not. However, I expect if it is something all Taiwanese traditionally get stuck with then they already know about it, hence the taxi guy probably assumed you did as well (it would be different if they specifically overcharged you because you weren’t a local). Service personnel back home often get paid a holiday loading for working Christmas (although yes, taxi drivers don’t) so I can sort of see the basis for it. It would still be annoying though :slight_smile:

Well, the way things often work in Taiwan is that people “know” that the natural price for a taxi ride during CNY is twice the normal amount or whatever. They will often not say: “remember that it’s CNY, so you are going to be charged a lot of money”. They just go ahead and do it, as “everybody” knows about this.

Moreover, they will have trouble comprehending that you don’t know. If you are very corteous, then you might get it cheaper than that, but if you raise a stink? No way.

Try taking a taxi in Edinburgh on Christmas Eve or Hogmanay and see how much you get charged.

I thought there is a law that stipulates that taxis can only charge you what’s shown on the meter?

no law for taxies during cny!

no law for taxies during cny![/quote]

ditto and with taxi drivers, you better not messed with them!

You guys have got it all wrong. There is an official surcharge for taxis for CNY (and maybe other holidays). There’s nothing underhand about it whatsoever.

I’m not sure if it’s national or regional, but in Taipei during the New Year period, taxi drivers are supposed to use the nightime meter rate (the button on the right of the meter) during the day. After 11PM (?) they then charge an extra amount, which I think is 20NT or 50NT. Your 100NT seems steep, but it may be regional and Jiayi may be different.

Try not to gte pissed off at them until you know you’re right. I used ot get pissed off at getting charged 10NT for them to open the boot, until I found out that it’s an official charge. I think they also charge for you calling them by phone, and maybe a couple of other things.

Compared to other Asian countries I’ve been to, taxi drivers here are remarkably honest considering that this is Taiwan, and half of them are ex-convicts. (Just watch out for the one that wait for the airport bus).

Brian

Or a Saturday night in the West End. You’d beg the guy on bended knee to charge you

There may be a law in Taipei, but outside Taipei there is no law for the taxis during CNY, be prepared to be charged A LOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

a few days ago, I went for a haircut…the sign read 250NT…after the cut, the woman said to me it would be 500NT because of Chinese New Years…

YES, stick it out a little longer… that’s the way things work during CNY…hehe
(Get a haircut one month before the CNY next year. :wink: )

Yes, you really need to avoid haircuts in the 2-3 week runup before CNY. Everyone wants to get their hair cut right before the holidays, so the discounts go away and the prices get jacked up. At the more poplular places they will turn you away without an appointment. The prices in this case are all about supply and demand. My wife works 12+ hour days, including Sunday for 2 weeks before CNY because of the demand, so she deserves a bit extra for it.

But according to tradition, if you DON’T get a haircut, you’ll uncle will die. Better off paying a little more, you’re uncle will thank you.

So… if you don’t have any uncles, you can go unshorn with impunity? :slight_smile: I actually got a haircut on the weekend, just because I needed one, and was not charged extra, so I suppose it’s up to the individual. How much extra is normal anyway?

I’d agree with that, but not because of their charging extra. Three days ago, I went to get a haircut at a popular and high-priced joint that I’ve been patronising for the last year or so. Knowing how busy they are at this time of year, I made sure to fix an appointment first. The place was unbelievably crowded (people with towels around their heads waiting to be cut were standing around and sitting on the stairs because there weren’t enough seats for everyone, and there was hardly room to move in the place). The girl who usually does an excellent job of cutting my hair (hence my being willing to pay a premium for her services) was evidently rushed off her feet and close to exhaustion. Unfortunately, she whipped her scissors through my hair in half the time she usually takes, and did an absolutely terrible job. Now I’m stuck with an appallingly ragged and lopsided mess on my head for the next few weeks until it grows long enough for me to get it repaired.

My wife’s cousin washes cars as a sideline down here.

He got a visit from the other car washers telling him to double his prices due to CNY.

unofficial policy I guess. He complied, as he only dows 3-4 cars a day and don’t want 200 customers.