Overseas Americans In Taiwan, Whitepaper

Finally started to solicit ideas for the whitepaper and wanted to hear what people thought about them before it’s written up.
This is the core issue that seems to garner the most support.

1. Reciprocation of Status
a. Legal agreement or Treaty between the United States of America and the Republic of China on Taiwan.

Does that mean the US will have to have a Chinese native speaker in most kindergartens teaching Chinese?

I think you are missing part of your white paper… it appears to be cut off at the bottom. Also, did you double up on one of the sections? I am interested, but too confused to vote yet. Thanks.

I edited the main text but by doing so caused the phpBB program to delete the poll. I guess they haven’t worked out all the bugs yet.
Yes, the document is incomplete and long way from becoming the basis for a petition.
I was hoping to get input from people in the process so as to encompass as many perspectives as possible.

Does this mean I’ll be able to turn right on red and take my motorcycle on the freeway here?

If I am not mistaken I believe you can already do all of those things or will be able to soon enough.
Provided your motorcycle is over 150cc. I remember reading something about the traffic laws changing concerning turning right on a red light last year. Not that it matters everyone drives anyway they like here no matter what the traffic laws state.
In San Francisco it is a 300US$ fine for turning right on red and they do enforce it.
That would be one of the benifits however in that the reciprocation process would include how laws are implemented as well as written.

[quote=“Boomer”]1. Reciprocation of Status
a. Legal agreement or Treaty between the United States of America and the Republic of China on Taiwan.

Sorry, foriegners are not allowed to own firearms in the US. Besides Taiwan has enough guns floating around shooting people.
etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2004/ … 896323.htm

Man, I wish I were German, then I could drive as fast as I wanted on the highways.

Reciprocity can be often a double edged sword. Be full of care where you swing that thing!

No offence to the Germans but we are not directly advocating the rights of Germans per se.

It should be a double edged sword. It has to cut equally both ways in order for it to be effective. In the past he United States of America has given citizens of the Republic of China exceptionally open and hospitable treatment when compared to American citizens in Taiwan. We have opened our markets. Allowed most any Taiwanese to enter and reside as immigrants extending to them the full rights and privileges that our constitution used to guarantee to all within it

Sorry, foreigners ARE allowed to own firearms in the U.S. I know some very nice Mexicans who are more heavily armed than even I am, which is nothing short of astounding. And it’s all entirely legal. Some states require licensing, but then again, some states (cough ILLINOIS cough) require Americans to get permits too.

[quote=“Boomer”]Besides Taiwan has enough guns floating around shooting people.
etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2004/ … 896323.htm[/quote]
Wow. That gun just jumped right out and started blasting itself into people, didn’t it? I guess the drunken “serviceman” had nothing to do with the incident.

That’s a real damn shame, though. IIRC, Taiwan has the death penalty for firearms offenses; at least the serviceman won’t be shooting anyone else. . . .

Don’t know where you’re getting that from. I haven’t heard of any visa problems, and Taiwan isn’t on the “fingerprint and photograph” country list. A friend had her luggage searched by the TSA when she visited over CNY, but my luggage got searched too, last time I flew. And I haven’t heard of any Taiwanese being held on suspicion of selling nuclear materials to North Korea. . . .

[quote=“Boomer”]
Citizens of the Republic of China are becoming increasingly regarded as stateless people or being put into the terrorist state categorisation. The Republic of China

Persecution and humiliations? Like what? I haven’t seen American’s being flogged on the street in a while now. I did see one guy actually get a traffic violation ticket recently in spite of his trying to pretend he didn’t speak Chinese, but I don’t think that counts as persecution, humiliating though it may be.

Huh? I’ve never heard of this.

Which treaty was that? Please tell me it’s not that old SFPT stuff again.

This is beginning to sound as though old Aristotle’s got himself a new hobby horse.
I’d be careful with your wording Boomer, if you’re really hoping to get yourself a US representative all of your very own – I can’t imagine they’d respond favourably to unsubstantiated hysteria.

Section 414 of the Patriot Act gives the Attorney General any and all authority to decide which foreign nationals get screened and in what form.
With the ever increasing pressure from the PRC the probability of the Republic of China being grouped together with other undesirable states is very likely. The PRC is in a much stronger position to aid the United States in it

Then why doesn’t the PRC simply order the US to repeal the TRA and agree that China can do as it pleases with regard to Taiwan?

You can honestly say that you don’t see that coming or at least a possibility. How much would it take for the US to put Taiwan on the table if it hasn’t already?
The only legal agreement giving the citizens of the ROC any rights at all is the Taiwan Relations Act. That is not even based on a treaty.

Well, that’s your opinion.
In my opinion, that’s a very UNlikely probability – so unlikely that its bordering on the ridiculous.

And this is just nonsense. The PRC asks – nay, demands – that the US do things that are not in the ROC’s favour all the time. More often than not, they get a politely worded “fuck you” from Washington.
I don’t know where you’re going with this, but I’d advise you to focus more on facts and less on speculation and (apparently ill-founded) personal opinion.