Overseas Americans in Taiwan

plz delete

Hey moderators… can we split this into ‘JasonLin’ and ‘Non-JasonLin’ threads? What started out as what could have been an interesting/informative discussion, has been once again hijacked by the trollings of JasonLin, and the people that take his bait. If he wants to say whatever, fine, but when yet again a decent conversation is sidetracked…

http://www.barbneal.com/wav/ltunes/daffy/Daffy29.wav

I don’t agree with him either but I have a feeling his views may be representative of many here in Taiwan. Jason Lin and his bigot ways of thinking are one of the main reasons why attempting to change things here is so difficult.
As for the web site I was looking at Geo Cities because it is free and easily found with most search engines.
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=75285#75285

US citizens abroad are “voting residents” of their last state of residence. There is a federal form which you can use to register from abroad. AIT has it. US citizens seeking absentee voter eligibility is solely determined by a state law, not federal. If your last state residence was Puerto Rico or other insular area, you cannot vote for the Presidential elections. However, these areas do have an non-voting representative in Congress. If they wanted to vote with the 50 states, they’ll have to join the Union of States. I read that 10 Republican voters obtained special attention from Congressman Dana Rochabacher of California, and they lived in Taiwan. He is one of the Chairman of the Taiwan Caucus. So the US citizens in Taiwan will have more clout than the Taiwan foreign lobby of 23 million. Over 113 members of Congress and still growing in the Taiwan Caucus means their “constituents” in Taiwan do get special rights of access. You are the eyes and ears of the Congressional staffers and can validate or even impune the statements of the Taiwanese foreign propagandist. Probably could call it ‘FAPA Watch’.

plz delete

I don’t expect the same privileges as an ROC citizen (which is just as well, since I sure as hell don’t get them). However, my Taiwanese wife expects me to provide for out family and would very much like to kick you hard in the testicles for your suggestion that she should be the sole breadwinner in our house. And she, unlike you, is a REAL Taiwanese and not some jumped up little draft-dodging twat.
Also, I’m past draft age, so in your twisted and bigoted little world, I guess that should mean I’m forever barred from Taiwan?

No, it’s the Taiwanese who believe that who are naive, and there seem to be quite a lot of them.

No, it’s the Taiwanese who believe that who are naive, and there seem to be quite a lot of them.[/quote]

Count me among the naive. A–if it wasn’t for the US a seperate Taiwan would be a distant memory by now. B–China didn’t have to lob more than a few obsolescent missles around a few years back before we were steaming carriers over here. C–Bush said very clearly a while back “We will do whatever it takes to defend Taiwan.” Gee I may have been watching too much CNN lately but I tend to figure that Bush means what he says and is prepared to do it regardless of what anyone thinks.

plz delete

TI vanguard extremists? What is stopping you from becoming a Taiwan citizen? :blush: You can’t be a Taiwan citizen in ROC Nationality Law and Art. 10 of Treaty of Taipei. Sorry, but you’re not any true Taiwanese either. :stuck_out_tongue: Overseas ROC Passport of Second-Class Citizens?
Now that is bizarre especially just because you lack permanent residency rights.

Here it is. I had a few hours this afternoon and published a page. Any recommendations? I picked tripod because it is free. Still looking for a good, cheap web page to fulfill the requirements. The problem is there is no way to know what those requirements are yet.

overseasamericans.tripod.com/
Does anybody know the procedures for registering an NGO of this kind so we can become official.

[quote]If we as a group all registered to vote in one congresspersons electoral area and agreed to vote en masse, we would in fact have a voice in congress.

[/quote]

Wouldn’t we also have to be considered residents of that area and thus liable for local taxes and unable to declare the $80,000 federal exemption?

The main reason to register to become official is if you are soliciting donations and want to be considered a non-profit for tax purposes. You are not doing so, plus even if you were, your donations wouldn’t be tax deductible (I think) because it’s a political lobby. So there’s not much practical reason to register at this stage, however you cut it. Use the Descartes method for becoming official: “I think, therefore I am.”

No, it’s the Taiwanese who believe that who are naive, and there seem to be quite a lot of them.[/quote]

chinapost.com.tw/detail.asp?ID=38188&GRP=A

‘Decrepit tyrants’ running mainland, Bush ally DeLay says

One day after U.S. President George W. Bush invited the new mainland Chinese president to the United States, his key congressional ally said China was run by “decrepit tyrants” and placed it among U.S. foes in the war on terror.

Republican House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, who like Bush hails from Texas, also said Monday the one-China policy followed by the United States since the '70s was “a diplomatic contrivance” that “unfortunately … has been elevated by some to the status of ‘doctrine.’”

The People’s Republic of China “is a backward, corrupt anachronism run by decrepit tyrants: old apparatchiks clinging to their dying regime,” DeLay said in a speech before the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank, where Lynne Cheney, wife of Vice President Richard Cheney, works as a senior fellow.

“The notion that these oppressive and dangerous men could convince the United States that their murderous ideology should be imposed on a free and independent Taiwan is absurd. And refusing to say so, for fear of upsetting Beijing, is not tact: it is infantilism,” DeLay said.

[quote]The People’s Republic of China “is a backward, corrupt anachronism run by decrepit tyrants: old apparatchiks clinging to their dying regime,” DeLay said in a speech before the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank, where Lynne Cheney, wife of Vice President Richard Cheney, works as a senior fellow.

“The notion that these oppressive and dangerous men could convince the United States that their murderous ideology should be imposed on a free and independent Taiwan is absurd. And refusing to say so, for fear of upsetting Beijing, is not tact: it is infantilism,” DeLay said.[/quote]

Thanks for posting this, blueface. It’s a great article.

This is the most honest and accurate statement I have ever heard about China/Taiwan policy from a high level US official. My opinion of Tom DeLay just got a huge boost. I hope this is a precursor to Bush actually revisiting the whole “One China” Dogma and replacing it with something more consistent with reality.

You are already considered a resident somewhere in the US, even though you don't live there now. It is usually your last residence in the US. All US citizens are eligible for the overseas Tax Deduction on the federal level. It is at the state level that you may still be required to pay income tax depending on where your legal residence is in the US. There are only two states I know of that have no state income tax. Those being Florida and Washington. Some states allow for overseas tax deferments and others don

Can you introduce the names and brief biographical data of the persons who will be running this proposed project? How is funding being organized? Will a secretary be hired and office space arranged in Taipei?

You will have to forgive me but I am a little hesitant to do that at the moment. I have seen what happens to foreigners who interfere in local politics.

[quote]It’s difficult because you’re asking Taiwanese to shoot themselves in the foot. What’s not clear? A non-dual citizen (of ROC) can NEVER work in Taiwan no matter who he marries and can be imprisoned for refusing to serve in the military.

On the other hand, a loophole in the immigrations law allows foreigners to work in Taiwan and avoid military service by being married to a Taiwanese.

Who’s eating the cake and making money when some poor Taiwanese is serving ~two years in the military? And now you want to rub more salt in the wound by saying you’re entitled to the sames rights as people who have fulfilled their obligations as citizens? It’s not because the laws are against foreigners; non-citizens don’t have certain rights because they have NOT EARNED those rights. It’s not because laws should discriminate against non-citizens, but laws should not confer rights to people who have not earned them.][/quote]
The likes of Jason Lin are predominant in the local goverment
/circles of power in Taiwan.
This movement right now consists of my wife, a close friend and myself. When we are little more secure there will hopefully be a great many Americans wanting to be associated with this movement. How about you Mr. Hartzell?

Don’t worry about Jason Lin. He’s hotair and immature. If the ROC or its proxies want to screw with passive US citizens, then they’re playing with fallout on Capitol Hill. What goes around will come around.

This is an issue which does not grant anyone “diplomatic immunity” nor a political rights license to go outside the legalistic boundaries of “hot air”.

If there is any credible threat of harm posed by any TI extremist, then it will be dealt with promptly under consular relations. A threat against one is a threat against us all. I would just suggest you contact Mr. Hartzell by telephone for a private conversation.

I’ve found the selected “orthodox blockvoters” to be very credible in their effectiveness.