Overstay Penalties

Hi Everyone! I’m new to these forums and I’ve been in Taiwan for close to two months now.

I’ll be heading back to the States on August 31, but I’ve run into a problem. I have a multiple entry visitor visa, but my 60 day limit is approaching. Immigrations is asking for an insane amount of documentation (which I’m sure most of you are familiar with) in order for me to be granted an extension (not to mention the fact that the guy I talked to said faxes and copies are illegal and they must see all original documentation), and taking a trip to Hong Kong is just way too expensive. At this rate, I’ll have overstayed for about 11 to 12 days.

My question is, other than the $3000NT fine, the possibility of my visa being terminated, not being able to enter Taiwan for a year, and apologizing and promising I won’t overstay again, are there any other things I should be concerned about? I’m sure this question has been asked numerous times, but I just want to make 100% sure I’m not going to get screwed over for overstaying because immigrations asks for documents that no sane traveler would ever carry with them. Thanks for any help!

You may find that you are no longer granted access to numerous other countries aswell. Overstaying a visa is not taken lightly

I’m just curious, why would you delibrately choose to overstay your visa?
When you know when your visa expire, why not use THAT day to leave? :idunno:

edit - you could perhaps have somebody to fedex/DHL your papers? That might work and make it in time to get an extension

I actually tried to leave early. I called my airline and every flight was booked solid until the 31st, which is the day my flight leaves for Los Angeles anyways, rendering that option pretty pointless. Also, by the time my folks DHL or fedexed the papers to me, I’ll have overstayed the 60 days anyway. People who work government jobs like this really work THAT slow in America. Also, I don’t know how safe I’d feel having such sensitive documents being sent to me via FedEx or DHL, especially when they could very well be lost and/or damaged.

Believe me, it’s not like I deliberately want to overstay my visa, but the Taiwanese government clearly isn’t all that friendly to foreigners, especially when they request an insane amount documents just so I can stay an extra two weeks before I go home. I think it’s ridiculous, everyone in my family thinks its ridiculous and unreasonable, and all of my family friends think it’s ridiculous and unreasonable.

Perhaps you just asked the wrong questions …

Would you care to elaborate?

I’m unclear as to why you made flight arrangements that exceeded your visa validity in the first place without a solid “plan B”.

Aside from the fine and trouble coming to Taiwan in the future (and I thought it was like a 5-year ban, but that might just be those deported for working illegally), I don’t know other problems you may have. I doubt it would affect entry into other countries. I don’t think countries share such data with each other except the US & Canada.

I also don’t think the visa rules are that unreasonable. They are far easier here than in the US.

In the past I never had to show a load of documents to get my visa extended … that’s a long time ago tho but I’ve never heard of many documents needed for that … the only thing you needed was a good reason and maybe documents to proof it … but never, ever documents that have to be sent from abroad …

And if you have a multiple entry than just search for the cheapest return flight … Manila or so …

BTW, a multiple entry is valid as long as the date shows … so every time you leave the country and return the 60 days will start running again until the expiry date of your visa … 6 months, 1 year or 5 years … with a 1 year visa you can actually stay almost 14 months in Taiwan if you return let’s say one or two days before your 1 year expires …

You have to extend it a few times and go abroad a few times but you don’t need to get a new visa for 14 months …

I’m unclear as to why you made flight arrangements that exceeded your visa validity in the first place without a solid “plan B”.

Aside from the fine and trouble coming to Taiwan in the future (and I thought it was like a 5-year ban, but that might just be those deported for working illegally), I don’t know other problems you may have. I doubt it would affect entry into other countries. I don’t think countries share such data with each other except the US & Canada.

I also don’t think the visa rules are that unreasonable. They are far easier here than in the US.[/quote]

I’m also currently in the process of doing an unpaid internship that is required by my university. In order for me to get credit for the internship and to get my diploma, I have to stay for 10 weeks, which explains the later plane ticket. I was originally told by a family friend that I would be able to get an extension easily from a local police station that has a foreign affairs department. However, after doing some research with my uncle, we found out that all of the local police stations near us no longer have any foreign affairs departments and closest place I could go was the immigrations building on Guangzhou street.

My main concern was that whether or not this overstay would have any effect on my traveling to other countries for short periods of time (generally one week or less) as my cousin is getting married in New Zealand on January. Based on the research I’ve done and the responses posted thus far, I guess I don’t have to be too worried.

Come on now, don’t burn bridges my friend. Drop $5000 NT for a quick run to HK. That is only $2000 more than the penalty, do you really think it is worth it over $2000NT?

Last I checked, the cheapest flight I could find to HK was $7000NT. I have to take a weekend flight because I need to be in the office monday through friday for my internship, and we all know weekend flights are more expensive.

Yes, your family friend gave you incomplete information. Tourist visas can be extended for a specific list of reasons which, last time I had to do it, included studying Chinese, visiting family and doing missionary work.

Yes, your family friend gave you incomplete information. Tourist visas can be extended for a specific list of reasons which, last time I had to do it, included studying Chinese, visiting family and doing missionary work.[/quote]

When I went to the immigration office on Guangzhou st., I told them I was visiting family, which is technically true as my grandfather was at the office with me, and I have a sick aunt who is currently hospitalized. The second I said “visiting family” they slapped me a sheet of paper stating that they need that huge list of documents. When I asked if I could have my parents fax the items or email them to me, one guy immediately cut in and said doing is illegal and that they absolutely have to see original documents.

book.cebupacificair.com/Search.aspx
Taipei to Manila and back
1948NT each way

less than 4k

almost the price of the 3000NT fine for overstaying, but no stamp in your passport that says NO RE-ENTRY.

Why would they need documents from the US when family you’re visiting is in Taiwan, doesn’t make sense …

And you need to set priorities, what’s more important … a day off from work to get keep a spotless passport and record or paying a fine and get the dreaded stamp?

[quote=“Surly”]http://book.cebupacificair.com/Search.aspx
Taipei to Manila and back
1948NT each way

less than 4k

almost the price of the 3000NT fine for overstaying, but no stamp in your passport that says NO RE-ENTRY.[/quote]

Good find, I may have to take that into consideration. As for the stamp, I’m actually not that concerned about that as the next time I would actually have the chance to come to Taiwan probably won’t be for another 5 to 10 years. My overstay period is just a little over a week, so I don’t see why I would be prohibited from coming into Taiwan for more than a year anyway. It’s not like I’m trying to exploit the job market or anything. I’m trying to visit my sick aunt and finish my bloody internship.

In that case just overstay. And tell them a big “screw YOU, Jack!” if they ask you for an “excuse.” Whatever they can do to you, it will have long since expired before you want to return to Taiwan.

This is just another example of people trying to find loopholes to take advantage of what they desire to do at the moment. Most posters here know that this does not work in the long run. So, what we repeatedly see is a question of HOW DO I . . . . . . Followed by a a few suggestions of DONT DO THIS and a few that give advise of how to thwart the system. Then we have a post of, SHIT! How can I get out of this jam. Of course, everybody jumps onboard to give advise to fix the problem.
I guess, I am terribly tired of this “thumb my ass at the procedures” attitude and will do what I can. Thus, I suggest, that folks stop trying to get these people out of their pickles. If they are told and told, but still do their flauntlaw crap, well, suffer the consequences

Simply get your passport “stolen in a mugging”, apply for a nice, clean new one with no ugly black stamps.