Overstay warning - no 90 day visas

Today I once again heard of someone overtaying on a ‘90-day visa’. This time it was a friend of mine, and I’ve tried looking at he overstay threads, but it’s all very unclear about what could happen.

I just wanted to warn everybody again. Check your passport very carefully. If you have a visitor’s visa and are under the impression that it’s a ‘90-day visa’ - it’s probably not. I don’t think there is any such thing as a 90-day visa, but I sometimes hear people say they have one. It’s not. It’s a 30 day or 60 day. There’ll be a date saying that the visa is ‘valid until xxxxdate’ (90 days from the day you applied for the visa). This is not the date that you can stay until! This is the date that you must use the visa to enter the country by. Nowhere in your passport is there a date that you have to leave by. You have to figure this out by looking at the arrival date stamp, and adding 60days or 30days depending on what it says on your visa. So many people look at their visa to see when it expires and see the ‘valid until xxxx’ and figure that’s when they have to leave by and then end up overstaying.

Anywhay, here’s a few of the links to the cautionary, but sometimes contradictory threads about overstaying:
segue.com.tw/3/viewtopic.php … t=overstay

brian

Included in Forumosa.com Knowledge Base