Overstay

Hi all,

I am currently here on a student visa and have just realized i should have gone to the police station yesterday. (Yes i know i’m an idiot!). Is there any possible excuse they will take? Like being in hospital or whatever?

Thanks in advance!

[quote=“zhu ba jie de di di”]Hi all,

I am currently here on a student visa and have just realized I should have gone to the police station yesterday. (Yes I know I’m an idiot!). Is there any possible excuse they will take? Like being in hospital or whatever?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

You’ll need a valid reason and proof. They won’t simply take your word for it.

My advice is to get down there right now instead of wasting time.

Thanks for the replies, just wanted a little heads up before i left. What my questions is then is what constitutes a “valid reason” here?

Obviously i’m going to need some proof… just wondering what kind of reasons they’ll accept?

I don’t think you’re going to be able to tell them anything other than the truth. And be VERY apologetic about it. You’re looking at getting booted out, btw, without being allowed to come back for a while quite possibly (sorry to be the bearer of bad news).

Thanks for the help irishstu. Does anyone else actually have any experience or know of anyone who has managed to beat the rap on this one?

It wouldn’t be so bad but i was over by one day a few months back and i think i’m gonna get fried this time when i try to come back!

I’ve heard you can make decent money in Korea.

Ouch! I don’t think that’s very solid advice for a serial overstayer, Sandman.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Ouch! I don’t think that’s very solid advice for a serial overstayer, Sandman.

HG[/quote]
Well, it’s either that or back home to Canada – there’s not much chance he’ll be getting back into fair Taiwan anytime soon.

Thanks Sandman. Maybe i should’ve posted this in the careers forum? Look save the sarcasm for someone who might be able to appreciate it. I just wanted to know if there was anyone out there who had had a “valid reason” and what it was, that’s all.

No sarcasm intended. Valid reason is pretty much limited to a hospital stay. Proof in the form of an admissions form signed and chopped by the relevant authority would be required.
You overstayed before. What did they tell you that time?

Miss Juba’s lil’ bro’?

Once is forgivable, twice you are in the shit. The advice was solid. Plan for not coming back but get in there ASAP on bended knee and see what you can do. Claim stupidity, speak as much Chinese as your studies suggest you can and hope.

HG

You are a student - I think they will be lenient. If you just say “I forgot” I think they will let it go - with or without a fine. Alternatively, fake a heavy cold and say you were too ill to go to the police station. Try wearing one of those surgical masks for dramatic effect.

Make friends with a Middle-Easterner who’s married to a local and owns an Indian restaurant and is having an affair with someone at the FAP. That’s how I’m able to get back in.

Younger brother of Zhuba’s elder sister,

Tell us what happened with the visa overstay. The forum needs a few more posters willing to give both before and after info on visa issues.

HG,

You’re looking handsome today. That boob tube suits you.

Sandman,

You have to distinguish between upper and lower Shenkeng (sp?). The lower Keng is a toxic waste dump, but well served with public transport (including the 236 - bus of legends). Upper Keng has some better places to live, but public transport is shitty beyond the Shenkeng Laojie. Off topic I know, but I can’t be f**ked looking for the original thread.

But . . . how? . . . Damn that webcam live feed again!

HG

They’ll let you back in. You’ll just get a 1 year ban on Visa Exempt Status and pay a fine. Meaning that you have to buy a visa before you come back.

They’ll let you back in. You’ll just get a 1 year ban on Visa Exempt Status and pay a fine. Meaning that you have to buy a visa before you come back.[/quote]

Sorry, what exactly does that mean? A guy in my company overstayed his visa accidentally (don’t know how, he’s a sharp guy) but anyway, he is in Okinowa right now and they will only issue him a 14 day visa. He was also told he had one year visa exempt status. Any idea what he should do? His work permit won’t be ready within the 14 days when he returns.

They’ll let you back in. You’ll just get a 1 year ban on Visa Exempt Status and pay a fine. Meaning that you have to buy a visa before you come back.[/quote]

Sorry, what exactly does that mean? A guy in my company overstayed his visa accidentally (don’t know how, he’s a sharp guy) but anyway, he is in Okinowa right now and they will only issue him a 14 day visa. He was also told he had one year visa exempt status. Any idea what he should do? His work permit won’t be ready within the 14 days when he returns.[/quote]

I just meant that you can usually buy a 60 day single entry visa (I got one in Canada just a few months ago and I had an overstay stamp in my passport) and then get a job and change to a resident visa.

If your friend has a job lined up then he should have enough time. But if not then he will have to go to Hong Kong or somewhere with all the paperwork from his job to get his resident visa.

Why do people always ask Forumosan folk how to lie to the authorities?

Are Forumosan folk known as liars and cheaters?

Do we all do illegal stuff?

Ok, yeah, just tell the truth.