Overstaying penalties

so, i stupidly overstayed by one day. i don’t have any idea how i lost the ability to count when i ordered my leaving ticket back in may, but its done and now i have to deal with it.

firstly, i was fined NT$2000. and then i had a nasty stamp put in my passport revoking my visa-free, saying i had to leave on that date(yesterday) and saying i need to enter with a visa.

my flight was to korea and they told me in a kind of laid back way, that i just had to get the tourist visa from the taiwan embassy in korea. i wasn’t sure it was going to be so easy as that and sure enough, about 5 minutes before boarding i found out that the embassy was going to be closed the entire time i was going to be in korea. that flight was cancelled, i have the option to get a refund on it or change the flight to another day. both come with a charge i think.

after that i had to take another trip to the immigration desk(4th time going through customs that day). they said i had to get another flight to korea, or elsewhere to get the visa and re-enter. i explained the situation and i need to find out the best way to get a visa and flight, instead of just jumping on a plane and hoping i will get one even though the embassy is closed… (i think it is most likely i will go to hong kong) and they said i have 10 days to sort it out. they never gave me a ten day stamp or anything like that… which makes me wonder, will i get into more trouble in the airport when i return for my flight out?

anyway, i have found a page with a list of charges. my guess is they said ten days because after ten (according to this chart) i will be charged more. and that the NT$2000 is all i will be charged up until then(i hope) could anyone who has been through the same thing confirm that this is up to date? thanks for any help.

immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 30085&mp=2

1. Penalties:
    (1) Foreigners who have overstayed their stay for 1~10 days are subject to a fine of NT$2,000.
    (2) Foreigners who have overstayed their stay for 11~30 days are subject to a fine fine of NT$4,000.
    (3) Foreigners who have overstayed their stay for 31~60 days are subject to a fine of NT$6,000.
    (4) Foreigners who have overstayed their stay for 61~90 days are subject to a fine of NT$8,000.
    (5) Foreigners who have overstayed their stay for above and over 91 days are subject to a fine of NT$10,000.
    (6) Minors aged below 14 are exempt from the penalty; while those aged between 14 and 18 are subject to a fine cut by half.