Don't be overzealous (Family Mart shoplifting case)

Reopened because an update is expected soon. Don’t make me close it again, guys. :slight_smile: :rainbow:

I would also suggest changing the title. A store proprietor filing a police report or deciding to press charges is by definition not abusing the legal system if the legal system provides for these rights.

When rights arise in a rule of law jurisdiction, then how can making use of them be abuse? OP needs a reality check.

1 Like

Just my 2 cents–abuse of a legal system implies that actions are being taken which are allowed under the legal system but not in the spirit of the law. If the rights were not provided for, the actions would actually be impossible under the law and we’d be talking about something else. As such, whether the legal system provides any particular rights is besides the point. I’m not saying this case is in fact abuse, or anything else besides clearing up that misconception.

Whoa, what’s the expected update? You got an inside-scoop, @yyy ??

I’m in as much suspense as you are.

:popcorn:

Your suggestion is accepted.

Is it extorted from you by the victim?

Extortion is not legal. The OP’s language is not nearly harsh enough for this execrable woman.

What does the statute for theft/shoplifting say?

In most common law countries, the definition would require intent to take the item and intent to convert it to personal use. Neither is present here.

I would look to filing a claim of extortion against the shop owner. Assuming moderately rational statutes, the elements should be easy to prove after a single conversation.

By the way in Taiwan accusing someone falsely of a crime is a criminal offense.

If you beat your case he can get into a lot of trouble.

Taiwan is usually pretty trusting. I’ve accidentally walked out of restaurants without paying sometimes if I’m just by myself on my phone. I bring a reusable bag and put things in there while shopping. Have to remind myself you can’t do that in Italy, they will think you’re stealing putting things in your bag. And they check. In Taiwan they just let me take it out on my own and never look inside.

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Why so much 𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓? :dvd:

Is the statute of limitations on extortion less than 2 years in Taiwan?

Thanks for the update. I’m sorry you lost but glad that it seems you’re in a better mental state regarding the incident.

they don’t care. The money is collected from tax payers.

Thanks for the update, though.

5 million NTD fine? :no_mouth:

2 Likes

You can see why it took 5 full days to work it off :wink:

1 Like

Quite an interesting post. Amazing that people think the old girl has a scam going on because she catches 10 people a week stealing , and then has the temerity to go to the police. I won’t comment on the OP

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: There go our reputations… :doh: aka the shamehouse of the bear