Own an iPod? Check out the new, low-cost mini-iPod and weep

A bit dearer than I expected though. May have to wait until the price comes down, or just buy the HP ones that will be made by apple.

spack wrote:[quote]Holds 800 songs as opposed to 10,000 but is a fraction of the cost. [/quote]

a fraction of the cost :unamused:
yeah, 1/2 is a fraction…

but how many times does 800 songs go into 10,000?

i have a 30GB that has over 3000 songs on it and still has 16GB free for more music, files, or whatever…

the new ones are cute, but even if i were looking at buying one today, i’d still get the biggest one i could. 800 tracks would hold me for a couple weeks, but i plan on getting some stuff from my brother that he’s ripping from vinyl. things you can’t buy anymore… then i’ll just leave it archived on the ipod…
and will it to my kids :wink:

a fraction of the cost :unamused:
yeah, 1/2 is a fraction…

[/quote]

Don’t blame me! Blame the article I linked to. Also, you will notice in a later post that I put a link to an article on Yahoo news which said the whole cheap miniIpod was just a rumour. You missed that didn’t you? :unamused:

Besides, the minI pod can hold 1000 songs, not 800, which is still way more than I could possibly have any need for.

if 1000 songs is way more than you could ever need then i guess you fit the target market for the miniipod …me i’m up to 600 in two weeks and aim for 2000 by end of CNY…mind you the 40GB version seems pretty excessive…my 600 songs (which includes “songs” an hour in lenght) uses less than 3GB…to fill 40GB you’d need a hell of a lot of cd’s and downloads

One thing I think people may be forgetting — the target market for the mini iPod is NOT people who would rather have the larger iPods, otherwise the price would be lower. Think about it — if you could have a 4GB iPod for US$100, woould you really REALLY think about the 15GB iPod? No one else would, either, which would SERIOUSLY hurt Apple’s sales of their low-level high-end iPods.

However, if you were originally going to go spend 175-200 dollars on a FLASH Media, solid state mp3-player/USB key-chain drive, wouldn’t the extra 50 bucks sort of make you go “hmmmmm?” For 50 dollars more, you get 4 GIGS of space… :sunglasses: as opposed to more than 100 dollars more for all that “extra space” on the 15 - 40 GB iPods.

So, if you were into the market for an iPod to begin with, get an iPod… if you were the run-of-the-mill consumer who wanted something small and portable and were prepared to blow your load on a solid-state crap machine, go iPod mini.

that way no one is disappointed.

Travis

[quote=“MaPoDoFu”]You folks may want to hold off a bit until you can see the new model. News reports from the last couple of days indicate that many iPod users are thinking of filing a class-action lawsuit against Apple.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … h_apple_dc

[quote]Meanwhile, a video making the rounds of the Internet shows a man spray-painting the message “IPod’s unreplaceable battery lasts only 18 months” on iPod posters.

The filmmaker, Casey Neistat, said in a note on his Web site, ipodsdirtysecret.com/ , that he decided to make the film after his unit essentially died in September and he was told the battery could not be replaced.

Apple offers a $99 battery replacement service.[/quote]

Apparently the battery has a limited lifespan of about 18 months, which means that it fails just outside of the warranty period. It requires Apple technical service to replace it, at a cost of about US$100 – not a “open the cover and slip a new one in” type of battery.

If it’s a lithium-ion battery like my Nikon 995 uses, they’re dead accurate on the lifespan problem. I’ve had to replace two batteries so far, and they’re bleedin’ expensive.[/quote]

http://www.ipodbattery.com/

Regarding size, I guess it depends on what you’re using it for. If you are building a pocket library of your entire music collection then of course more memory is the way to go.
I would just be using it like a Walkman when I need to be away from my CD collection, which is only going to be a few weeks at the most, so a mini is enough. I can just rip as required.

The whole battery thing does seem a bit disturbing though.

The smaller iPod for $249 has a 4 GB storage capacity compared to the $299 15GB iPod. Wouldn’t people prefer to pay $50 more for an extra 11GB storage capacity? Even if you didn’t need to store that many songs, you can use it like a portable HD and hold photos, files, and other kinds of data. So the new iPod definitely is not something to get worked up about (although the color selection is very cool) unless it came down to a much cheaper price.

one bright idea of mine…those of us with the bigger versions should organise an ipod party so we can rip each others songs…i guess we’d just need one pc pour all the pods into it and then pick and mix whatever albums, playlists etc. you wanted…

That is a great idea. I might end up getting a regular ipod anyway isince they’re not that much more expensive than the mini version.

ipod ripping parties are bound to become commonplace - they probably already are!

Volume control is a bit awkward.

nytimes.com/2004/02/15/fashion/15IPOD.html

after you read this news article, tell me: is the iPod any really different than the Walkman etc? I think this article is a total puff hype piece with no real news value? But what do iPod users think? Quirky?

[Idea for a sci-fi horror flick: Taipei is invaded by zombielike robots. They ghost along the sidewalks, oblivious of pedestrians, and have frequent near misses with taxis and cyclists, causing chaos. They carry a secret weapon

no i go completely with what the writer says…there is a big difference to walkmans because of a) the size and weight of the thing and b) the sheer number of songs within it and the instant accessibility of them…

you really can tune the world out for very long periods of time and i have found myself doing transactions completely deaf cos i’m in the middle of a thumping good chune…the problem with walkmans is that unless you carried a large stack of cd’s with you or bought new cd’s every day the music you had access to got stale fast…i walk around with my ipod on random play and get songs coming out of nowhere…you forget half the stuff thats in there (10,000 capacity remember) so can be totally stumped sometimes when some obscure bside blindsides you…best thing since sliced bread i say

Interesting article from Yahoo News about the high cost of the mini iPod.

Cost of mini iPod raises questions

[I should change the title of this thread really…Nothing to weep about!]