Owning a "big bike" has made me a "non-biker"

Last year I owned a 600cc sports bike. I sold it because my work cut my hours and I was just getting by.

I’ve had the last week off like everyone else and normally I’d be going for looong scooter trips on a bi-daily basis.

Problem is now that I’ve felt what it’s like to pass anything, at anytime, anywhere…it’s really hard to enjoy going for long rides on a scooter where you just keep the gas full open all the time.

Kinda sad actually…or to be honest it might just be the fact that I’ve almost been here 8 years now.

For the first few years I would wake up EVERY morning and just try and get myself good and lost…once lost I’d tree to work my way back using different roads than the ones I rode out on. I’d try to make a triangle, if you will.

Not much point to this. Just wondering how much you guys used to ride…and how much you ride now.

I’ve been riding every day this week, except for one :smiley: (had a bad night the night before and couldn’t get out of bed) :blush:

The weather has been fantastic and the roads great, once out of Taipei.

I love my bike and once i get my new WP suspension i’ll love it even more. :wink:

There are so many roads to explore, i got lost today and it was great fun :wink:

My advice to you is, GET ANOTHER BIKE, i couldn’t live without mine :rainbow:

Dude, Just bite the bullet and get yourself another bike…If that’s what will keep you happy in Taiwan, then go for it…

A bit of good news for you: The 2006 Yamaha FZ-1 is selling for 420,000$NTD…and that’s before trying to bargain a bit…That’s quite reasonable for a 1000CC street bike with lots of goodies on it!

here are pics of the faired and naked versions…

I’d ride any bike as long as it’s not a scooter. Last week I rode around Taiwan and camped out over the nights. Took me three days and 1,300Km to do the job and when I got back I thought about doing it again.
My friend nearly dropped his machine into the harbour in Kaohsiung while going across to the island on one of those little boats. We were both holding the rear wheel while the front wheel and handle bars were being splashed by the water. :laughing:

Yesterday, I found something on Google Earth that aroused my curiosity so today I typed in the co-ordinates in the GPS and went to find out what it was.

A nice sunny day with some nice riding. Shame I have to go to work now.

Get yourself another RZ* or an NSR, Mordeth, for the time being. A nice cheap bike to razz around on. You don’t need to get a big bike yet and it beats a scooter.

I’d agree with Dangermouse… You can have one hell of a good time on any bike, of course once you know what big capacity, weather protected, all terrain touring/scratching/exploring/blasting are like it’s hard to go back but you really can still have a hell of a good time on any bike…

Just look at the Guy Damon D’Ianson from BIKE magazine… Whilst Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman rode around the world with schmancy BMW’s loaded with a million pounds worth of expensive kit and backup cars etc. in the Long Way Round to mass ooooh’s and aaaaah’s and “isn’t Obiwan a proper biker, I’m going to go out and buy a BMW” public rapture… this Damon guy (a proper bike enthusiast with years of big bike experience and track days, road testing etc.) has been riding around India for the last 6 months on a Pulsar 150cc and we’re not talking about pissy little “Lonely Planet” trips around India, he’s ridden around the entire perimiter of the country through all types of terrain and conditions from freeways to smooth asphalt to dirt roads, dessert, rocky footpaths, salt pans, you name it, all through the real deepest, darkest, nastiest and most beautiful parts of India that even the Lonely Planet had no idea existed from Dehli all the way around and back up to the Himalayas 15,000km so far, by himself, with all his gear and no backup on a Pulsar 150cc…

Just goes to show…

but I’d still thoroughly encourage you get one of those faired FZ-1’s Skylark posted so I can see if they’re any good… :wink:

And coming off at 60kph into a mess of creme caramel is NO joke! Or more likely kulchi. Either way, that stuff gets EVERYWHERE.

hardly a laughing matter… it was actually a very tricky little section down the west coast between Mumbai and Gujarat where the only available route is up and over the Coconut Shrikhand pass… strained coconut yoghurt lightly flavoured with cardamom can be quite tricky terrain to ride over fully loaded, even with offroad tires…

apparently the hot, sandy desert stretches were quite tough too… :blush:

I got stuck on a jalebi once on my Enfield. Bad combination of ruts and sticky goop. Took four chai wallahs and a Sikh engineer to get her out. It was 'orrible.

You had an Enfield?

Bastard.

Yeah - so you had the Indian mfg version of the Enfield Bullet?

That’s the bike that I learned how to ride on…what memories… Almost killed me since everything is backwards.

I think the heart of this thread is that scootering and motorcycling through Taiwan streets is an absolute joy- on a small bike.

I used to have a 150 cc. Yamaha motorcycle…great for scooting through neighbourhoods or powering up the mountains. You need a small bike that hops curbs and has a tight turning-ratio in Taiwan to enjoy yourself.

I also own a 1000cc. BMW which is currently in Germany. Motorcycling in Germany is a totally different animal: even the city roads are very fast and almost like highways in Taiwan.

I would hate to have my big BMW in Taiwan. Give me a 125 cc. Sangyang or a 150 cc. Yamaha for Taiwan riding…and of course there is nothing to worry about when you park your local 125 or 150 cc. Taiwan bike…no one will try to steal it (ordinarily) and if you crash it or it breaks down, easy to fix.

[quote=“plasmatron”]I’d agree with Dangermouse… You can have one hell of a good time on any bike, of course once you know what big capacity, weather protected, all terrain touring/scratching/exploring/blasting are like it’s hard to go back but you really can still have a hell of a good time on any bike…[/quote]I also agree with Dangermouse apart from the anti-scooter stuff.

For me, a good machine is something that does what it is supposed to do in the simplest, most practical way. While I did some nice trips on the FZ150, a wannabe sport bike, it was too heavy, underpowered and frustrating because of the constant gear-changing.

Small capacity two-stroke motorbikes are nice but of course they tend to lack the weather protection and storage capacity of a scooter.

I don’t do so much recreational riding at the moment but I’m having fun on my BWS scooter. Of course I’ve got it running nicely, and it’s a fun, lightweight, zippy machine that’s good in town or in the tiny twisty backroads. It also takes my Oxford Sport pannier bags so I may well do a bit of touring on it at some point. Only thing is, next time I’ll do most of the riding in the early-ish morning before the traffic gets too bad. I find it pretty tiring focussing on defensive riding for long periods of time along busy roads.

[quote=“plasmatron”]Just look at the Guy Damon D’Ianson from BIKE magazine… Whilst Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman rode around the world with schmancy BMW’s loaded with a million pounds worth of expensive kit and backup cars etc. in the Long Way Round to mass ooooh’s and aaaaah’s and “isn’t Obiwan a proper biker, I’m going to go out and buy a BMW” public rapture… this Damon guy (a proper bike enthusiast with years of big bike experience and track days, road testing etc.) has been riding around India for the last 6 months on a Pulsar 150cc and we’re not talking about pissy little “Lonely Planet” trips around India…[/quote]My Mum gave me the DVD special edition of “The Long Way Round”. It’s great. I’m not really bothered if other people in other places have done longer journeys for less money on mopeds held together with bits of string. It’s still fascinating watching, especially the stuff going through Kazakhstan and Mongolia. And I think even Damon D’Ianson would have been in trouble had he been doing the Road of Bones in Siberia.

McGregor and Boorman were just two guys who like motorbikes doing a world trip on nice bikes because they could. And they made a TV series about it, a) because it helped with the costs, b) as a memento and c) because, rightly as it turned out, they thought quite a few people would want to watch it. I don’t see what’s so bad about that.

But then, I also think that the “Lonely Planet” guidebooks are a useful resource.

agreed Joesax, 100%…

I wasn’t knocking the Long Way Round at all, very respectable guys, great idea, one hell of a trip, fantastic DVD (or so I’m told I’ve still not seen it)… And boy did it increase the popularity of BMW GS’s!.. I only compared it negatively to the guy from Bike’s Indian antics for the sake of highlighting how you can still have a full scale, epic adventure on a motorbike without fancy bikes and kit… Oh and I think the Lonely Planet is a great resource as well, but I suspect India is just one of those places where you could live and research a LP book for 20 years and still just be scratching the surface…

Every time I leave Taiwan for whatever reasons and I’m in Europe, Africa, the US etc. it really strikes home how even though the traffic is horrific, the roads are rubbish and the teeming hordes of CRV’s packed with screaming families infest every corner of this island… Taiwan is in many ways a mini riding paradise… I mean the roads are all twisty, all the time… great rides are right on your door step without the need to ride down 500km of motorway to get to a descent mountain pass… plus not only are the mountains the most beautiful, cleanest and quietest part of the island by far, but they’re also where there are the least people per km, a truly win win situation…

Plus to access the joys of swooshing around the mountains you don’t need anything more than a half decent scooter and some basic gear, which are practically free here compared to the first world… If you want to open an entire new world of fun, exploration and experience you can get a bike that has offroad capability as well since a lot of the best sights and rides only really start once the paved road stops… luckily enduro 150cc’s are also cheap as chips if you want to start small… I guess my point is that there are many levels to enjoying biking in Taiwan and almost anyone can find the right balance of enjoyment vs. investment if you try…

:sunglasses:

[quote=“plasmatron”]I guess my point is that there are many levels to enjoying biking in Taiwan and almost anyone can find the right balance of enjoyment vs. investment if you try…[/quote]Right. Absolutely.

The combination of watching “The Long Way Round” and your positive comments about biking roads in TW are making me want to do some more bike trips…

My BWS is nice and shiny and running well so I’m a bit wary of messing it up, but I would like to try some offroad stuff sometime. Apparently they’re not too bad for that although my friend says that they have a tendency to topple over in jumps. :astonished:

Speaking of toppling over, there are quite a few shots in the DVDs of Ewan McGregor trying to right his fallen, fully-laden GS! They seem to be brilliant, strong bikes, but I don’t like the thought of trying to pick one up.

The Pulsar would be an ideal bike to get around India on. I doubt you’d find many parts for a Honda Goldwing in the backwaters of Vidjayawada. Nice, simple and easy to fix.

I was watching “The Greatest Ever” on the Discovery Channel and it showed the greatest ever bikes. Now while I don’t take these programs at their word - they serve only as mild entertainment - the Honda Cub came in as number 1.

50cc displacement, nearly 50 years old.

They drove it and drove it and drove it. They put the weight of three men on it, then drove it again. Then they went to a chip shop and changed the oil in the sump with the oil in the fryer and drove it again, with the weight of three men.

Then they threw it off an 5 storey building. The engine still worked and it started first time. Ideal bikes for third world countries and Amahs going to the market.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]I was watching “The Greatest Ever” on the Discovery Channel and it showed the greatest ever bikes. Now while I don’t take these programs at their word - they serve only as mild entertainment - the Honda Cub came in as number 1.

50cc displacement, nearly 50 years old.

They drove it and drove it and drove it. They put the weight of three men on it, then drove it again. Then they went to a chip shop and changed the oil in the sump with the oil in the fryer and drove it again, with the weight of three men.

Then they threw it off an 5 storey building. The engine still worked and it started first time. Ideal bikes for third world countries and Amahs going to the market.[/quote]I used to have a Honda C50. Rode it 30 miles a day during an English winter. Very strong, reliable machines. C90s are slightly more exciting – my mate claimed to have outrun a 125 “sport” bike on his.

On the topic of touring on improbably small bikes – my friend has just come back from a camping trip. Him and his wife, their tent and stove and probably too many changes of clothes including footwear, went round Taiwan on a BWS100 for ten days. They had a great time and the bike did fine, though they didn’t push it too hard.

Honda Cubs are still made brand-new in Japan and sold here on the domestic market. They maintain the retro styling; only the paint is a little different. You can see them everywhere…at first I thought there were a lot of old bike lovers in Okinawa who had 60s and 70s era scooters, but then I realized that you can buy a Honda Cub at the motorcycle shop. Not cheap! They are about 2500. US new, much more than the other 50 cc scooters around here.

For me I don’t think one bike does it. The humble scooter has it’s place here for sure.

I’ve recently bought a 150cc Hartford. It’s great for blasting around town and going up into the moutains. It does around 120 km/h max.
But get some stuff at the supermarket or take the dog out? No way, the scooter is ideal for that.

I’d love to have a big bike, but the price of them here seems to be exponential :loco: . I’d never ride a 150cc back home, but here it seems appropriate. I’ve done a fair bit of riding around northern Taiwan and while I agree it would be awesome to have a big bike, it must be frustrating as hell not being able to really open it up. The day the freeways are opened up to big bikes it the day I go to the big bike shop. Anytime sooner just seems like a waste of money to me.
As for home, all those open stretches of wonderful sweeping highways with virtually no traffic? A 150 cc bike would drive me nuts - but here in Taiwan it seems perfect.

[quote=“Truant”]For me I don’t think one bike does it. The humble scooter has it’s place here for sure.

I’ve recently bought a 150cc Hartford. It’s great for blasting around town and going up into the moutains. It does around 120 km/h max.
But get some stuff at the supermarket or take the dog out? No way, the scooter is ideal for that.

I’d love to have a big bike, but the price of them here seems to be exponential :loco: . I’d never ride a 150cc back home, but here it seems appropriate. I’ve done a fair bit of riding around northern Taiwan and while I agree it would be awesome to have a big bike, it must be frustrating as hell not being able to really open it up. The day the freeways are opened up to big bikes it the day I go to the big bike shop. Anytime sooner just seems like a waste of money to me.
As for home, all those open stretches of wonderful sweeping highways with virtually no traffic? A 150 cc bike would drive me nuts - but here in Taiwan it seems perfect.[/quote]

As far as I know the 68, and 72 expressways are still open to big bikes. And in the very near future the rest of them will be opened. And the 68(…or is it the 72) is close to where you live Truant. I got my CBR up to 275km/hr on the speedo quite a few times.