Owning chickens in Taipei city, is it legal?

Does anyone know where I can find city regulations that concerns owning animals in Taipei city? I was curious as to whether it was allowed to own chickens on a rooftop apartment for example.

Thank you.

1 Like

Idk for sure. But when I went to elementary school in Taiwan back in the late 1990s, we had a pet chicken in class. And my cousin had a few chicken on the roof top. Don’t know if anything has changed though.

Unrelated but my class pet chicken got murdered one night. We came back into class and some animal must have got it. Blood and feathers everywhere. Possibly a cat.

1 Like

I can’t imagine it’s illegal. There are chickens all over the place in TW, even in Taipei city.

It would have to be a really big cat, possibly a fishing cat.

Regular housecat isn’t big enough to kill a grown chicken.

It looks city government is somehow promoting it.

In Chinese

3 Likes

I think this is such a good idea that you should just go right for it and not wait to figure out if your illegal apartment can have an illegal chicken in it.

7 Likes

What about the bird flu? I thought having chickens in the city was a big no no.

I know live slaughter is not allowed. Idk about pets

If the apartment is an illegal building then the OP should be cautious about introducing something that could cause complaints. A bunch of chickens on the roof could annoy some other residents.

2 Likes

Yes, they are legal unless considered toxic to health or a noise nuisance. It is the same with pigeons.

Would pigs be a goer?

1 Like

you can have a mini pig i am not sure about a full grown hog. lol :rofl:

1 Like

I know someone in Taipei with a full grown full size pig,

She was sold a mini pot-belly pig during the craze a few years back.

turned out just to be a regular piglet with a huge price tag.

and appetite.

8 Likes

There’s a nutty bloke where I live who has a pet pig (normal one) he takes for walks.

2 Likes

A good way to enforce social distancing.

3 Likes

It’s actually clean and very friendly. I try to distance myself from the owner, though.

3 Likes

I am thinking a pig, some chooks, a little pond with hama (sic - those clams that are farmed here), and a vege patch. Now that’d keep you busy…

2 Likes

Is it that guy in danshui? I remember seeing someone walking a pig there.

1 Like

There’s probably a few around.

I understand this is the case for all so called “mini” pigs.

I once saw people taking their absolutely massive one for a walk. It took an epic leak. Ambled up to me for a hello, maybe it was more like a chomp on the leg because the people agitatedly grabbed him back.

2 Likes