Ozzy Osbourne to support Taiwan's entry to UN!

I don’t know why nobody thought of such a publicity stunt earlier :bravo:

Ozzy Osbourne to help Taiwan in U.N. membership quest
TAIPEI (Reuters) - After 14 failed attempts at joining the United Nations using media campaigns and presidential appeals, Taiwan is turning to a local goth-style rock band backed by Ozzy Osbourne in its quest for membership to the world body.

The band, named ChthoniC, will travel to at least 80 cities in four countries by the end of the year, supported in part by the Taiwan government, which is providing pro-U.N. literature and a slogan-painted truck.

The band will visit Canada, Germany, Britain and the United States.

ChthoniC has also recorded a song urging the United Nations to let Taiwan join, even though its bid for membership keeps getting knocked down because of objections from Beijing.
“I’m not for any political party, but I’m for my poor country’s joining the United Nations,” band lyricist Freddy Lim told reporters on Wednesday at the tour’s launch.

Ozzy Osbourne, a satanic-theme rocker known for biting heads off bats on stage, is helping set up 20 of the U.S. gigs, paying some transport costs and letting the Taiwan band promote U.N. membership as it wishes, Lim said. He said the band hooked up with Osbourne through personal connections.

Taiwan’s leadership came up with the idea as it prepares to reapply for U.N. membership later this year, the cabinet’s news office said on Tuesday.

China blocks self-ruled Taiwan’s applications every year because it sees the island as part of its territory and not a separate country. The two sides split after civil war in 1949, and Taiwan left the United Nations in 1971 under Chinese pressure.

ChthoniC

amazing that that the Taiwan “government” didn’t think of this sooner, this plan is almost as good as the “turn the world map 90 degrees” knee slapper… This must be where Chen Shui-Bian’s stolen millions went to, kick starting a dilapidated Ozzfest tour with a lamer than lame Taiwanese support act that nobody in Taiwan has ever even heard of, let alone the rest of the world…

I’m sure the Taiwanese public will be glad to know their tax dollars are being so wisely spent, the government obviously did their homework and decided that washed up metal head concert goers must hold considerable clout within the UN… I mean let’s face it what self respecting UN security council member doesn’t look to utterly unknown, amateur hour support acts of senile 80’s rockstars for their political direction… :roflmao:

is this actually serious?.. is it April 1st all over again or something?.. I know A-Bian and his cronies have intellects rivaled by certain species of algae, but are they really this ignorant and out of touch with reality?..

Of course it’s serious :unamused: :loco:
And so is this:

Beauty pageant targets UN
The Taiwan United Nations Alliance is planning to hold the first “Mr and Miss UN” beauty pageant in September to help boost the nation’s bid to join the UN using the name “Taiwan.” Candidates must be aged between 18 and 30. The two winners will travel to the US and join the country’s UN bid when the annual UN General Assembly meeting is held in September. http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/06/14/2003365177

You think you seen it all and they still can come up with something and top the other stupid stuff they did already. Do they actually have a special “task force” for that here? :noway: :noway: :noway:

Apparently so. Google search, “Taiwan United Nations Alliance” .
But it looks dangerous to open as it’s been hacked.
Anyone dare open it?

The GIO is billing Osbourne as an American as well as “the godfather of American rock”. Isn’t he British?

He is from Birmingham so I guess he should be British.

The “GIO” obviously have a bad case of cranial-rectal insertion syndrome.

Nah not British, the Queen’s British, he’s a Brummy.

HG

Anyway, he seems to be the man for the job.

Osbourne admitted that, at the height of his drug addiction, he shot 34 cats:
“I was taking drugs so much I was a fucker, The final straw came when I shot all our cats. We had about 34, and I went crazy and shot them all. My wife found me under the piano in a white suit, a shotgun in one hand and a knife in the other”.[5]
While on tour in Texas, drunk already at 11am, he stopped to urinate by the Alamo. A police officer arrested him.[4]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozzy_Osbourne

He really is the man for the job than, I mean, he will never be allowed to travel to this nice island or he would be arrested for drug abuse and so on, but hey, he just need to represent them abroad anyway. :smiley:

How do you say that? :s

I couldn’t find that on thier website but I am a little confused now. Is this a bank or a band?

Minister Shieh praised ChthoniC as being the first Asian bank to take part in the Ozzfest concert, adding that the band is the pride of Taiwan. He said this also shows that ChthoniC as a private organization will help speak up for Taiwan internationally.
gio.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=3369 … 462&mp=807

How do you say that? :s[/quote]

Its pronunciation is somewhat awkward for English speakers—for this reason, many American dictionaries recommend that the initial “ch” should be silent. However, most other dictionaries, such as the OED, state that the first two letters should be pronounced [k]. Note that the modern pronunciation of the Greek word “χθόνιος” is [xθonios], though the Classical Greek pronunciation would have been something like [ktʰonios].

Got that?

Their website looks like a scene out of The Rape of Nanking :help:
chthonic.org/

Minister Shieh said he believes that ChthoniC embodies the spirit of Taiwan…

Good Lord, and what spirit might that be?

Say, what an original idea… a rock band where the members paint their faces in white and black kabuki-like make up…

How do you say that? :s[/quote]

Its pronunciation is somewhat awkward for English speakers—for this reason, many American dictionaries recommend that the initial “ch” should be silent. However, most other dictionaries, such as the OED, state that the first two letters should be pronounced [k]. Note that the modern pronunciation of the Greek word “χθόνιος” is [xθonios], though the Classical Greek pronunciation would have been something like [ktʰonios].

Got that?[/quote]
No…how the f*ck does one pronounce their name?

I couldn’t find that on thier website but I am a little confused now. Is this a bank or a band?

Minister Shieh praised ChthoniC as being the first Asian band to take part in the Ozzfest concert, adding that the band is the pride of Taiwan. He said this also shows that ChthoniC as a private organization will help speak up for Taiwan internationally.
gio.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=3369 … 462&mp=807[/quote]

It was in the Chinese article. They’re a band.

So are they a bank or a band? :s

edited:
Never mind. Looks like they corrected the spelling :slight_smile: