P3 Motherboard/PCI vid card

Hey kids…
I’ve got a Taiwanese friend with an older P3 computer with integrated vid crd. It’s gone ape. He and the lady who are making a team effort at “DIY” business from their home, and can’t really afford a new one.

Anyone know where to find either a P3 motherboard or PCI Video Card?
Nothing spectacular…They just need it for basic book keeping and e-mailing. I’ve looked around but local suppliers don’t seem to be too co-operative with such things. Each makes his or her attemp at selling me an altogether new computer. Including my current supplier.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Nam”]Hey kids…
I’ve got a Taiwanese friend with an older P3 computer with integrated vid crd. It’s gone ape. He and the lady who are making a team effort at “DIY” business from their home, and can’t really afford a new one.

Anyone know where to find either a P3 motherboard or PCI Video Card?
Nothing spectacular…They just need it for basic book keeping and e-mailing. I’ve looked around but local suppliers don’t seem to be too co-operative with such things. Each makes his or her attemp at selling me an altogether new computer. Including my current supplier.

Thanks. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Hmm, never had that problem before at Kwanghwa. Last time I upgraded I just bought the motherboard and CPU, nothing else. You should be able to upgrade to a basic Celeron, older AMD or even Via C3 cpu and motherboard pretty cheap. Your memory is probably SDRAM, so it probably isn’t compatible with newer motherboards which are pretty universally DDR these days.

Anyways, you best bet is to just get a PCI video card. Your best bet for this is to go to a 3C shop where you can pull one right off the shelf. At Kwanghwa there are a bunch of smaller 3C stores along Pateh Road that don’t provide official receipt (thus no tax). Only problem is most places sell AGP these days, but if you can find PCI it should be pretty cheap. Another option is to check if the motherboard has an AGP slot. Most P3 motherboards do. However it is probably 1X or 2X speed. You should be aware that 1X/2X runs at a different voltage than 4X/8X, and are incompatible because of this.

Another option is to try to pick up something used from someone else who is upgrading.

Yes, I have what is wanted and would gladly help, but I don’t plan to upgrade to a P4 until January or February (I’m hoping the arrival of the new P5s will drive down prices of P4s even further).

I have a P3 board (ASUS TUSL2c) with a Celeron 1.2 Ghz and 384 MB of SDRAM. The video card is a GEForce4 MX440, but I also have an older ASUS 8MB card lying around. If you can wait until then, let me know.

Thanks guys but I’ve already looked around the Kuanghua area.
It’s actually for my mechanic’s freind. He can’t afford an upgrade to anything for the moment and that’s pretty well why I’m helping him out.
The shops that he went to all said that its the board and processor. I’ve checked it out and it’s really just the onboard Vid Card.
If you hear of anyone throwing away an old comp tell them that I may buy it off of them(just for the PCI vid card)

Thanks.

Hey Nam, I just realized I have an old PCI video card from my sister in law’s old computer. It’s an ET4000 chipset and I think has only 2mb, but it might be good enough for what you want. I don’t have drivers, but a quick search shows there’s plenty of places to download them. If you want it it’s yours.