P86 fraud: Brits alert!

be aware :

BTCO has just emailed this to us…

Dear British community

Please be alert to receiving a P86 tax form for staff “not normally resident in the UK”.

This form is bogus and is being used by criminals as part of an identification fraud.

If you have already completed and returned such a form or have recently received one, the British Assistance and Services Section would be interested in hearing from you.

British Assistance & Services Section
British Trade & Cultural Office
9F, No 99, Fu Key Bldg., Ren Ai Rd. Sec. 2, Taipei 100
Tel: +886 2 2192 7000
Fax: +886 2 2393 1985
Email: info@btco.org.tw

Yes, and just so it’s easy to find out who the ‘British community’ are the BTCO emailed their entire list with the adress list visible! :fume: TWICE! :fume:

They released their list of confidential email addresses a year or two back as well. As a result I am still getting SPAM from the Tavern, although BTCO claim to have asked the Tavern to stop it.

BTCO - what a bunch of criminally negligent incompetents! :fume:

It gets worse…

BTCO now expects us brits to sign up for their information service to keep them uptodate, which I guess is okay, but I have two caveats…

1. why do they require us to state our religion?
    britishembassy.gov.uk/servl … 1038501618

2. and The Foreign & Commonwealth Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998 (which may be consulted at www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk). Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK Departments and public authorities.

What thinks thee?