PAD Thai - Here we go again!

The problem is they seem to have the support of the military, and more importantly, elements of the royal family. Note the military refused the elected government’s orders to move on the protestors on Friday night. The Queen personally attended the funeral of a protestor killed in earlier clashes last month.

HG

I don’t know what to make of this :unamused:

Imagine where the KMT and DPP would be without the wonders of vote buying?
Before everyone thinks that this is an end to the Thai madness, apparently the politicians can just
start a new party and take control all over again :loco:
It seems that Thailand will be taking over from the Flips in the madness stakes soon.

I think the Thais are streaking ahead of the more sober Philippines on the political front at the moment. But anyway, PAD have vowed to move away from the airports today.

PAD supporter cheers the end of Somak’s government.

“I lub my KING soooo long time, I trash the economy of his kingdom! Yea!”

Having successfully bullied two elected governments out of office, PAD, rather laughably have decided to go up country and teach the peasants about democracy. The problem, as PAD perceive it, is the peasants keep voting for the wrong party. I for one look forward to these middle class wankers from Bangkok venturing into northern villages and explaining themselves. It should promise quite a show!

HG

A popular rebellion against PAD would be welcome, IMHO.

One thing I wonder is what rotten role the king and his coterie have been playing in this.

Well, PAD had said they would not leave the airports until after a new government was announced, you know, to be sure it met with their acute sense of taste, but suddenly they announced last night they were leaving by 10am this morning. Pundits suggest that was due to royal intervention.

The reason the military and the police refused orders from the elected government to disperse PAD protestors was largely due to the perception if not the reality that PAD had royal approval. The King speaks today or tomorrow for his birthday or some such, so indications will be clearer just where he wants things to go, at least publicly. However the Queen’s appearance at the funeral of a PAD protestor killed when police tried to break up a rally last mmonth is a very clear signal.

Basically PAD represent the conservative old twats of Bangkok who were disenfranchised by Thaksin shifting the political emphasis to the economy. Thaksin was a complete arsehole, to be sure, and he really should have gone. However, what was needed to replace him was not PAD. The royal meddling in all this has increased the risk of an ultimate civil war, in my opinion. The revised fault lines are now north and south, rural and urban, in addition to those supporting the Queen and Princess (army) and the Prince (police) for power once the King drops off the twig. I’m starting to better understand how the Bolsheviks viewed the Csar and his family.

HG

OK we have an ailing old king about to leave the stage, supported by the military, reverence from the people and then some thugs.

We have a new king getting ready, who’s known for a messy family life and not that much else.

Fast forward to after Bhumnipol’s end, picture a new not popular king and the rural mmasses feeling very unhappy.

Tinderbox, the risk that the lamp posts of Bangkok will gain some additional adornment is clearly there.

Hmm. PAD have finally left the building, and flights are back on, but the concern now is that the King didn’t make his birthday speech. Palace officials are saying he’s alright, just a little unwell. The Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn gave a speech in the place of the King, which is further evidence he’s being bolstered for the top role, although because of the laws of lesse majeste, no one is supposed to discuss what haoppens when the King dies.

The Prince is famously despised by most people who consider him a womanising thug and rumoured to be HIV positive from all his shenanigans. His appeal is his status with those elements of the military which managed to kick any Thaksin leaning officers out of key posts.

Meanwhile, irony of ironies, schools are encouraging kids not to wear the yellow shirts which are supposed to be worn as a mark of respect for the King. Nothing sinister in all this, it’s just to prevent accidental beatings, as anti PAD protestors have been beating up people wearing yellow on suspicion of being PAD protestors. Needless to say, wearing red is also ill-advised for the same reason.

Here’s a suspected pro-Somchai supporter being beaten by PAD wankers at the airport earlier this week. He was found in a ditch, naked, shot and barely alive yesterday.

Ah yes, the Land of Smiles.

HG

Very good article in the Economist. Bet it’s banned in Bangkok!

HG

My Thai friend says the King is known (and contrasted with previous kings) for enriching himself and the noble classes more so than previous kings especially in “land grabs” directly or indirectly, but nobody wants to criticize him, because of the king-worship in Thailand.

nice.

No one CAN critcise him because of lesse majeste laws. I mean you can, it’s just that you’ll go to prison.

HG

Yes the Thai Malarky…eerrr Monarchy.

And again . . .

Protestors disrupt ASEAN summit in Thailand

HG

Happy Songkran!

Doh! They called it off. Songkran, that is. Mercifully Missus Huang and the lil’ Thai princess are here with me in HK. Apparently the redshirts (pro-Thaksin UDD) have been offered Bt500 a day, and a bonus if they can get footage of them thumping anyone in the government. I reckon the wankers that had Abhisit’s car trapped in the interior ministry will be very handsomely rewarded. Always the way in poor places: short term gain for long term pain. Way to go, guys!

Yes, that is an armoured PC, the crew have surrendered it to redshirt protestors.

Welcome to the Land Of Smiles - we love you looong time!

HG

Apparently, the chap that jumps on this APC and rather sensibly takes control of the business end is looking to receive a bonus of Bt5,000.

Thai protesters take on tank

HG

Here is a regular update on the goings on in Bangkok. http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1013746

These are in Thai time, so add an hour if in Taiwan.

Apparently King Power duty free in Rangnam has been torched.

[color=#FF0000]I personally would not be flying into Bangkok at this point in time if I really didn’t have to[/color]. Aside from the obvious- military trying to break up demonstrators by firing live rounds from machine guns and assault rifles into the “air” (bear in mind the law of gravity, the one law no one really can break). the possibility of hijacked LPG trucks being used against targets of opportunity, etc, It could, as often happens, dissolve into yet another unresolved muddle up, but it could also be the beginning of something very ugly.

Thaksin has called on his supporters to top the government. He is throwing a great deal of money at people to get them on the streets. The missus reports family members are being offered Bt500 a day, plus Bt300 for food, with free travel and hotels to join the demos. If you manage to insult the government on international TV, you may receive a Bt5,000 bonus. Same for leading a prty that takes a government building.

These gangs of redshirts are getting tired, drunk, and fueled by Red Bull and no doubt yaba. There are as you’d expect, oodles of rumours circulating and the possibility for nasty paranoid internecine fighting is high.

If you are in Bangkok, get indoors.

HG

Al Jazeera show the army shooting live rounds in the streets near Pratunam. Apparently the soldiers have been pulled down from the Thai-Burma border, and are considered to be the most likely not to be caught up in the red vs yellow thing, and presumably the most capable of firing into a crowd if asked. The reds are goading the military, burning buses and trying to run them down with hijacked buses and taxis.

In Chiang Mai, the roads in and out of the city and train station are blocked by redshirts.

Thaksin should die for this.

HG

Is there a reason why Thailand seems to do this every other year or so?

Hopefully the King will denounce Thaksin as a traitor and support the military, or I see no end but civil war here…

From CNN’s website:

Meanwhile, Thaksin, in a video-link speech from an unknown location, urged his supporters to revolt, according to a report from military-run network MCOT, a CNN affiliate.

I’m sure you’ll be pleased to know that our dear Lord Lucan reports the limes are fresh and the ice plentiful, so no shortages of G&T at the Peninsula.

Elektronisk, that CNN article is misleading, these are not riot police, but soldiers firing automatic weapons. The police are nowhere to be seen, in other words, this is serious, mum!

HG