Painkillers for headaches

I need a painkiller for my headaches but everything in Taiwan is a watered down version of what I can get back home? Any advice?

(It’s a stress-related headache, not a migraine and is located around the sides and back of my head. I had 4 prescribed medications which were OK but prolonged usage apparently causes liver damage)

Have you ever tried B1 (500mg) , salt and potassium?
Cheaper and most importantly healthier! :wink:

I have never tried that. Is B1 combined with salt and potassium, or do salt and potassium have to be taken seperately, and if so in what amounts?
Also, I read on www.diagnose-me.com that B1 (thiamin) is for migraines. So, will it affect me at all?

They are taken separately. B1 is usually taken from 250 to 500 mg and salt/potassium you can experiment with 2 tabs each, then 3 etc. When I have a headache i usually take 500 of B1 and about 5 to 6 tabs of salt/potassium, more if I feel the need.

As far as I know, no. But this is my own experience of vitamins and mineral use. If you lack any B1 or salt and potassium, I have plenty at home and I don’t mind giving you some for you to try. It’s worth a shot.
PM me if you want to drop by.

I frequently get bad headaches too, especially when the weather changes suddenly (I think because of the drastic change in air pressure or something). But anyway, none of the over-the-counter stuff they have here works, so I get my folks to send me jumbo size bottles of Ibuprofen from the states. 800mg (which is prescription strength) of that, and my headaches are gone in about 20-30 minutes.

Other things that help are hot showers (which help the blood vessels in your head to relax – many types of headaches are caused by the constricting of blood vessels in your head) and hot coffee. You can also try running really hot water over your wrists for a while (again, the blood vessel thing).

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]I frequently get bad headaches too, especially when the weather changes suddenly (I think because of the drastic change in air pressure or something). But anyway, none of the over-the-counter stuff they have here works, so I get my folks to send me jumbo size bottles of Ibuprofen from the states. 800mg (which is prescription strength) of that, and my headaches are gone in about 20-30 minutes.

Other things that help are hot showers (which help the blood vessels in your head to relax – many types of headaches are caused by the constricting of blood vessels in your head) and hot coffee. You can also try running really hot water over your wrists for a while (again, the blood vessel thing).[/quote]

Thanks. I have looked online and can’t find anywhere to buy that online without a prescription, or anywhere that will allow me WITH a prescription to buy outside the USA. That dosage, 800mg is prescription online as far as I know. Any advice? Also what’s the Chinese name for Ibuprofen?

As far as I know, they don’t carry Ibuprofen in Taiwan (at least I haven’t seen it anywhere). They might have it at hospitals. Doctors here all know the English names of medications. If you want to go to a pharmacy and see if they might have it (I’m almost 99% sure they won’t), just write the name in English and show it to them. If they have it, they’ll know what it is.

As for getting it shipped here, I don’t get the 800mg strength tablets. You can get the 200mg tablets (which is the over-the-counter dosage) and then just take four of them. Most people do fine with 400mg, but I’m very resilient to drugs, so it takes prescription strength for me.

I use Tylenol which I buy online and have sent to my P.O. Box address.

They work fine for me.

Reaper Jim said: It’s a stress-related headache, not a migraine and is located around the sides and back of my head.

Ever try a good neck, head and shoulder massage? It always does the trick for me!

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]As far as I know, they don’t carry Ibuprofen in Taiwan (at least I haven’t seen it anywhere). They might have it at hospitals. Doctors here all know the English names of medications. If you want to go to a pharmacy and see if they might have it (I’m almost 99% sure they won’t), just write the name in English and show it to them. If they have it, they’ll know what it is.

Ibuprofen is quite easy to buy here. You normally won’t find it on the shelves, just ask the pharmacist for it. No prescription is necessary. Overall though, I prefer aspirin.
[/quote]

I have cluster headaches (inherited) which are like migraines but recur every day for a set period of time then go away until they decide to come back…

Anyway, after much investigation and many expensive prescriptions that didn’t work too well, I find that one Tylenol and one Excedrin Migraine work just right for me. I take them, lay down for about 30 minutes, and usually I’m 90% okay.

The trick is having caffeine with the painkiller for a headache. You can get the same effect in an emergency from a can of Coke (first rub the cold can all over your aching head, then pop it and get the caffeine into you).

I’ve actually been stuck in the sticks in Taiwan with only Green Oil and Tiger Balm around – can’t say they were great but I guess better than nothing (long live the placebo effect!)

Hope this helps.
il

Nah, I’m sure the taste would put me off of that. :wink:

Does anyone know the Chinese name for Ibuprofen?

Ibuprofen. Almost every drugstore has it as far as I know but it is expensive. There is a little drug store around the corner from Caves (go north to the first intersection, turn right, walk straight ahead till you come to the first 7-11, cross the street, turn right, walk about twenty yards and there it is - if it took more than two minutes from caves you went too far or are a very slow walker) that sells 400mg at NT5 a pop.

I still swear by aspirin.

Usually something like this:"*&^% me gently what was I *&^ing drinking last night!? Where’s the bloody aspirin!?"

[quote=“ironlady”]I have cluster headaches (inherited) which are like migraines but recur every day for a set period of time then go away until they decide to come back…

Anyway, after much investigation and many expensive prescriptions that didn’t work too well, I find that one Tylenol and one Excedrin Migraine work just right for me. I take them, lay down for about 30 minutes, and usually I’m 90% okay.

The trick is having caffeine with the painkiller for a headache. You can get the same effect in an emergency from a can of Coke (first rub the cold can all over your aching head, then pop it and get the caffeine into you).

I’ve actually been stuck in the sticks in Taiwan with only Green Oil and Tiger Balm around – can’t say they were great but I guess better than nothing (long live the placebo effect!)

Hope this helps.
il[/quote]

If you’ve got cluster headaches, you might want to try indomethacin (sold in Taiwan under the trade name Indocin). Very inexpensive drug and can be bought over the counter (at least in Taiwan). It won’t make the headache to away quickly, but if you’re having attacks day after day, it can stop it (usually in about 24 hours). I have had cluster headaches twice (triggered by an allergy to certain cold medicines!). The headaches were with me for a week and I couldn’t get rid of them until I took indomethacin (suggested by my doctor - he knows his stuff).

cheers,
DB

My headaches have been around for years, since when I started university. I only realized something was wrong when I had been here for a year. Stupid.

Anyways, I just found some proper Asprin, and my mom is mailing me 500 x 200mg Ibuprofen over from the UK, pretty cheap from Costco (I was surprised that she could get them there). Buying over the Internet is way too expensive as the taxes and shipping almost triple the cost of the pills.

I hope this works, as my doc has me taking Bromazepam, Gasgel, Diclofenac and Depakine, and whilst it reduces the pain about 40% its still not enough as my headaches are still affecting my memory amongst other things…

He is probably just trying to ensure that you don’t go spreading your genes around.

ReaperJim: I have an unopened bottle of Tylenolfrom Canada that I’d sell to you if you want it. I’m leaving to go back to Canada on March 30th so be quick if you want the bottle. Just give me a call and we can arrange where to meet.
Suzanne
0919-471-790

For me, Ibuprofen is still the best way to go. I’ve tried aspirin, Tylenol, Bayer, Exedrin, etc., and only Ibuprofen does the trick for me. I’d suggest starting at 400mg, and if that doesn’t work, then go up to 800mg (four 200mg tablets). A cup of hot coffee (caffeinated) will also help it work more quickly, from my experience.