Painkillers for headaches

[quote=“autumn489”]ReaperJim: I have an unopened bottle of Tylenolfrom Canada that I’d sell to you if you want it. I’m leaving to go back to Canada on March 30th so be quick if you want the bottle. Just give me a call and we can arrange where to meet.
Suzanne
0919-471-790[/quote]

Thanks for the offer but I think that I will go with Ibuprofen. I have been looking for some and will go to the drugstore near Caves to find it. It really sucks that the Taiwanese are so tame when it comes to medication, especially considering that their own stress levels appear very high.

Before I go to the drugstore near Caves, I just need to check that this is the Chinese word for Iboprofen:

布洛芬

Is that right?

[quote=“Reaperjim”]Before I go to the drugstore near Caves, I just need to check that this is the Chinese word for Iboprofen:

布洛芬

Is that right?[/quote]

Dude, you don’t need to be so concerned about the Chinese name for Ibuprofen. Pharmacists and doctors here all learn the English names for illnesses, medications, etc., since the majority of their text books are all in English. If you don’t speak Chinese, just give them a piece of paper with 止痛劑 (pain-killer) written on it, followed by “Ibuprofen” in English. It’s highly unlikely they wouldn’t understand. If you’re still that worried about it, write the Chinese that you have above, but I don’t think you’d have any problems. When I’ve gone to doctors and/or pharmacists and asked for (or written down the name of) a medication in English, I’ve never had any problem with them understanding. However, keep in mind that it might be a lot cheaper to get a super-size bottle of Ibuprofen shipped to you from overseas by your relatives. My mom sends me a big bottle a couple times a year and I’m all set. Ibuprofen is dirt cheap (especially the generic drug store brands) back home.

My mom just told me that she can’t get it shipped from the UK as the post office won’t allow it. God only knows why… However, my TW friend found it for me at 10NT a pop, but that seems a little expensive, don’t you think?

For Dog’s Breakfast:
Thanks for the advice – but I’m now back in the States, where I can’t even buy the kind of anti-cavity mouthwash my Taiwanese dentist recommended to me because you need a prescription here (and of course I don’t have any health insurance HERE – don’t even get me going…)

So I guess I’ll stick with the one Excedrin migraine, one Tylenol routine. Works pretty well. The other good news is that you tend to grow out of cluster headaches. I’ve had them far less frequently lately than when I was younger. My dad eventually stopped having them entirely (although I can’t imagine what he went through without anything stronger than aspirin…but then he talks about having his teeth taken out by an Army dentist without Novocain too…) :noway:

That’s very expensive. And why won’t the UK let you ship it? My mom has no problem sending it from the US. Don’t tell me she actually told them what was in the box when filling out the little customs declaration??? Just tell them the package is “daily necessities” or “beauty products for personal use” or something like that. No need to get too specific.

I have nothing but sympathy for those who suffer from severe headaches.

During my first year in university, I was randomly assigned to a roommate. We shared a dormitory room that was approximately 4m x 3m.

Turned out that my roommate, Tony from Long Island, NY, suffered from severe migraine headaches. Tony never knew what brought them on, but on the basis of empirical evidence we narrowed it down to two main culprits. One was any bright, sunlit day that followed several cloudy days; the only window in this dorm room faced the setting sun. The second was peanut butter, which was ubiquitious in the dormitory dining room. Peanut butter was served along side ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper, etc.: it was a standard-issue condiment in dormitory life.

I don’t know how many times I saw Tony do this. Late in the afternoon, he would show up suddenly, dragging behind him the commons-room trash bin, one of those blue 30-gal. plastic things that in a pinch served as a perfect pony-keg 'n ice container. The drill was for me to get the hell out as he pulled the heavy blue drapes (his parents bought them for us) shut and, after dragging the blue trash bin right up next to his bed, lay down to die.

Then he lay there moaning and barfing as necessary, for up to 24 hours at a time (usually no more than eight). The poor bastard.

At the end of my second semester, my GPA was in the high twos. Tony had nothing to do with that fiasco, though. My low GPA was rather due to my inept first business venture. Another friend, a Japanese-American from Biloxi, Mississippi, and I bought two sheets of windowpane acid at $110/100 panes/sheet - a great buy. We should have made a fortune. Two weeks later, after selling like six hits, we ran an intense closing inventory and to our abject disinterest discovered the count was, like, ten hits remaining. I concluded that certain inventory consumptions were not conducive to longer term memory.

Christ, what a rotten deal migraines must be.

I got up this morning and went to the bathroom only to see blood, blood and more blood. Went to the hospital and it turns out that I have a stomach ulcer, and need to have an endoscope examination in the morning. I will probably not be able to take the like of Ibuprofen even if I get it, so it looks like I am stuck with these headaches forever… :frowning:

Sorry to hear about your stomach problems. For what it’s worth generically, I looked up the drug interactions for ibuprofen and there was mention of ibuprofen causing GI bleeding in some cases. Not that it happened to you, but it might not be good medicine to take in your case as you’ve said. In case your doctor disagrees, and you need to find ibuprofen in Taipei, the link below from a prior thead has some info:

[Ibuprofen?

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Seeker4

I just had an endoscopic tube rammed down my throat this morning. I have a 1cm diameter ulcer in my stomach. My doc thinks that this is a result for taking an NSAID (Diclofenac), which reduces the protective mucus coatng on my stomach walls. Now I am on Nexium, which reduces my stomach acid, and hopefuly helps the ulcer go away. I just hope that this doesnt plain rule out the use of NSAID painfillers like Ibuprofen. That would really suck…

Reaper,

Before you do anything else, get someone to teach you the acupressure points for headache…they actually do help. Combine that with circular breathing and believe it or not you have a fairly effective drug-free treatment. It might take some practice to get it all right (and it’s hard to do it under that kind of pain, especially the first time) but after you’ve learned and know that it does work, it will be easier for you.

The points I was told to use are the web of the hand between the thumb and fingers, a point just behind the elbow, the middle of the forehead between the eyebrows and then out along each eyebrow, but you might get something more specific or different that would work for you.

HTH it is ghastly enough to have severe headaches without being told you can’t take anything.

il

Sorry to hear about your ulcer. I don’t think you’d want to take any drugs right now but just to let you know, Tylenol does not dissolve in the stomach but lower down in the intestines. If anybody has a “delicate” stomach, then I recommend Tylenol for headaches. Ibuprofen will irritate the stomach.

Try Extra-Strength Tylenol (coated tablets). It may not be as good as Ibuprofen on the headaches, but won’t disturb your ulcer.

BTW, I learned the acupoints for headaches when I was studying Qigong on the mainland. The ones Ironlady mentioned are correct, but there are some other ones as well. There’s a set of three that when used in conjunction with each other have worked very well on people I’ve done it for.