Palm OS screw up

My Sony PDA sat unused for a while, and after repowering it it seemed to have forgotten who it was. So I went ahead and hotsynched without first checking that the desktop software was set to the right username.

At least I think that’s what happened. I don’t know really.

Anyway, the username on the handheld is now different from the one with all my data on it on the desktop. And I can’t figure out how to change it.

I already tried deleting one profile from the desktop and changing the name of the one I want so that it matched the handheld, but no joy there.

What do I do?

Try the reset button on the back ? :idunno:

Done that. That’s the ‘soft’ reset.

There’s some special combination of manouvres for a ‘hard’ reset, but I don’t even know if that’s the right thing to do.

A hard reset should do the trick. Just have to find the proper keystroke sequence, then make sure you choose the right user name when you hotsync it again.

On Palm Handhelds, it’s usually the reset button while holding the power key. Not sure if it’s the case for Sony branded handhelds, but worth a try.

Yup, hold the power key and press reset. Then say yes to the prompt.

Fixed it. Now all I need to do is find the email with the software key for my Oxford English-Chinese thingy.

Thanks all.

You should be able to ask them for another key if you can provide proof of purchase. The key is based on the built-in Id of your Palm.

I had to do that for my “Palm Dragon” Chinese OS.