Panic attacks

I’ll get some blood work done before going to see a psychiatrist. I’d really prefer that it have a physical origin. That makes it easier.

That makes sense. At least you stay in shape. Working out regularly gives you a big leg up on things.

Let us know how it goes. Everybody’s pulling for a girl with big guns.

How’s your BP?

Low end of healthy. Always been like that.

Do you notice these attacks after you eat things with a lot salt and carbs? My BP can spike the next day if I do. A lot of water weight for me. I can literally gain 5 or more lbs overnight.

I can’t say I’ve really been able to find a pattern. They happen seemingly senselessly. Then the ones following happen because I enter the loop caused by the first one.

Def check it out. I was basically paralyzed for more than a week because of health issues due partly to thyroid issues this last week.

It was a thyroid issue that put you in the hospital?

Partly.

No shit? Wow. Hope you’re ok now.

A book that may be worth checking out; apparently it’s recommended by more than a few therapists, although the study cited in Wikipedia is about depression. The main focus is on depression, but there’s also plenty about anxiety:

Same author has a book that focuses more on panic attacks and anxiety:

Tried breathing into a bag but that doesn’t seem to be the issue.

Thanks for the rec. I’ll try downloading it to my e-reader.

It was a combination of thing. One was the amount of carbs in ate was hard on my kidneys that tanked my potassium levels. Potassium so low my muscles actually couldn’t move.

My diet changed so much. I ate nice before but never this much carbs.

In total, I probably ate 400-500g of pasta a day. Which is like the entire bag. I ate bread which I never eat before I came to Italy. I ate paninis for breakfast. And often pizza.

Thyroid also can effect potassium. Hyperthyroidism made me even more hungry and I compensated the fast metabolism by eating more and more. Add that it seems some genetic stuff.

Weight loss and weight gain from all of this.

Some scary stuff. I literally wake up paralyzed in the leg. And extreme weakness of my upper body and arms. No potassium, no muscle contractions.

1 Like

I don’t have direct personal experience with this. The people listed at the Community Services Center might:
https://www.communitycenter.org.tw/counselingandassessments/

You can also try to consult a psychiatrist at the psychiatric hospital in Xinyi (near where the ramp to the tunnel that connects to the highway). Or the Out-Patient Department of any major hospital

I think the hospital is called Taipei City Hospital Songde Branch

https://english.tch.gov.taipei

The link above is for all the branches of the Taipei City Hospital group, which is a collection of formerly independent public hospitals. It isn’t very helpful.

This is a page on that website specifically about the Psych Dept at Songde
https://english.tch.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=7CFFF52251AD7D0D&s=AFE67612EB293270

(A friend/former student of mine did her residency there, which is why I know of it)

This page is the appointment booking but I don’t see any for psychiatry for adults
https://webreg.tpech.gov.tw/eng/RegOnline1_1.aspx?ChaId=&tab=&ZCode=K

I had panic attacks prior to exams when getting my engineering degree. In the end, I just accepted them as they would pass after a few minutes. I would then complete the exam and usually did well. Except for maybe about five instances, the situation disappeared after finishing school. It’s now been years.

I imagine your situation is different since you seem puzzled as to the cause.

I agree that you should see a doctor. If it’s not a physical condition, just accepting them might be very liberating, as it was for me. Something to consider.

1 Like

Agree with the others that you should see a medical doctor and a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist. It does sound precisely like a panic attack, although obviously a doctor will give you a proper diagnosis.

My mum had this kind of thing: it had both a physical and psychological component, and there usually is an underlying cause, which means it’s treatable or may resolve itself (my mum’s attacks were due to stress, bereavement, and a pacemaker issue).

In circumstances like this, pills can actually help as long as they’re only understood as a temporary measure.

@Hanna Try drinking chamomile tea or peppermint tea. Also try using lavender essential oils in your home. They have a relaxing and calming effect.

Thanks for the info. I’ll do some research today.

One of my coping techniques is remembering that the feeling will pass. Sometimes I even set an alarm on my phone for about 30 minutes because usually by then it has ended and it helps me realize that the attacks have a short lifespan.

Maybe I’m having a worse time with my grandma passing away than I thought? I suppose it could have a lot of exacerbating factors. In any case I’ll be seeing a doctor to determine if there is a physical cause first because that’s vastly preferable to trying to deal with a psychological cause.

Thanks all

3 Likes

Sometimes drinking anything feels impossible at the height of an attack but I have found it does help me to chew minty gum.

I already implement lots of soothing smells in my home, though. It’s just my habit.

This is a very cool idea :+1: