Papago camera points and decent radar detector

just wondering everytime the papago says a camera point is coming up…is it pretty accurate?seems to me there are tons of cameras in taiwan…also how fast over the speed limit do you have to be going to get your picture taken?
lastly I think I will want to get a radar detector…can someone recommend me a good one?

God no! Such things are illegal. Forumosa doesn’t allow such discussions.

Radar detectors are not illegal in Taiwan.

Speeding is. Which is what the OP is asking advice on.

I find that covering my body in tin foil makes me invisible.

can I ask what’s a decent radar detector, and I saw on news that you can buy those highway toll booth ticket at beetlenut stand is that true…

I must be getting confused with the camera detectors then – I used to have one and the cops took it off me and fined me for having it.

WTF? Who said that?

They also sell laser gun deflectors in Taiwan and GPS + radar dectors with the ordinates of the cameras, plus the backup of radar dectection. Unless you get the laser gun deflector, they can always nail you, but they only use that on the highways, so you can still speed like a mutha on the normal city streets, just get a strong car with good breaks. BTW, has anyone ever seen a cop with a radar or laser gun on a regular city street, or are they always on expressways and highways?

I’ve only ever seen them (laser guns) on the freeways.

On this note, does anyone know what is in the blue van in Chiayi? There’s a blue Ford van, looks civvie, that hides in one of those police speedtrap locations on freeway #3 just over the Chiayi county line. That’s somewhere around Dongshan IIRC. I usually see it while going south, in the mornings, but I’ve seen it once close by that location on the northbound side. The back door of the van is up, so I can’t see if it has civvie, cop or whatever plates. There’s a large black device in the back that looks like a horn-loaded subwoofer enclosure and takes up pretty much 2/3 the back of the van. Usually one or two heads are just visible over the top.
I’m guessing it’s some kind of radar gear, but I haven’t seen any cameras in there and there’s no way in hell that crappy van is pulling anyone over…

WTF is it?

I’ve seen cops with laser thingy detectors on street roads. i passed one this sunday on my way down to Taichung, i slowed down and smiled. :smiley:

He was facing on coming traffic leaning out of an opened car door. Question, as i’m riding a motorcycle and i don’t have a plate on the front of my bike, can he still get me?

on another note, i had to go out late tonight to help a friend whose car had broken down, i passed 8 road blocks with about 4-6 police at each one stopping every car in sight, from mucha to Tiamu. Any idea what the big deal might have been on a Tuesday night? (about 11pm-1pm)

Haven’t seen that many road blocks since the abduction of Bi bing bing’s daughter. (then i had a cop jump out infront of me with his gun drawn, least to say i left a nasty stain on my motorcycle :blush: )

I once had a cop point an M-16 at me while ridding a plateless big bike. I stopped. We chatted. No ticket.

how did you get out of the tix

Well they dont’ usually give tickets for a no plate bike. If they do anything they confiscate the bike…but that’s a bit of a hassel…so the norm is (or was) for them to let you go. I’ve been stopped 3 or 4 times on no plate bikes…no problems.

It helps if you say “lang mmm she wah tie eh” which in Taiwanese means “It wasn’t me who killed the person” and is always good for making a pig…erm…cop laugh.

my guess is that they will call up ahead and tell someone else to pull u over…

as for radar detectors… valentine 1 is one of the best on the market… gotta look for it though, can’t remember where to get it in taiwan… radar detectors are legal in taiwan and i even got one as a gift with my car when i bought it new…

and for papago… forget it… half the time when it tells you there’s a speed camera, the camera is already right next to you…

[quote=“x08”]my guess is that they will call up ahead and tell someone else to pull u over…

as for radar detectors… valentine 1 is one of the best on the market… gotta look for it though, can’t remember where to get it in taiwan… radar detectors are legal in taiwan and i even got one as a gift with my car when i bought it new…

and for papago… forget it… half the time when it tells you there’s a speed camera, the camera is already right next to you…[/quote]

valentine 1 does it work in Taiwan? this guy says the frequency is different in Taiwan? and about how much they cost in Taiwan?

[quote=“ironfist”][quote=“x08”]my guess is that they will call up ahead and tell someone else to pull u over…

and for papago… forget it… half the time when it tells you there’s a speed camera, the camera is already right next to you…[/quote]

valentine 1 does it work in Taiwan? this guy says the frequency is different in Taiwan? and about how much they cost in Taiwan?[/quote]

i haven’t got a valentine 1… but i saw them advertised in a car magazine (specR or option i think) once…
my detector is just a crappy one… but it does the job most of the time… in better words, my car has never sped :wink: :wink: :laughing:

ok valentine one is 28000 in Taiwan…but I found some US sites that will ship to Taiwan…

1-radar-laser-jammers-detectors. … /index.php 490+70shipping

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … L:RTQ:US:1 530 total…

[quote=“ironfist”]ok valentine one is 28000 in Taiwan…but I found some US sites that will ship to Taiwan…

1-radar-laser-jammers-detectors. … /index.php 490+70shipping

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … L:RTQ:US:1 530 total…[/quote]

cor… talk about a difference in price… wow…

I just bought a Garmin C320 Roadpilot for the car… Quite impressed with it really, although I haven’t gotten to grips with it 100% yet, the maps are half a notch below excellent and amazingly right out the box, without me having to upload anything to it, it warns me of approaching speed camera’s way in advance and gives accurate distance count downs to where they are positioned… Even the recently erected one near my house and the sneaky one’s near the freeway are all there, even one’s I didnt know about… On this feature alone I’ve got to give it 10/10, I mean it’ll pay for itself in avoided speeding fines before long… :bravo: