🪂 Paragliding | Paragliding in Taiwan

But they are good at fining SUPers outside cordoned off areas. :+1:
:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Possibly the operator and/or owner might be aboriginal, and possibly less safety and law enforcement.

My bet is they are Han people and outsiders to the community.

This is based on no facts, just patterns of tourism development in Taiwan in such areas, especially those goddamn campgrounds.

Guy

1 Like

There are a lot of indigenous people in Hualien, but this is speculation. Are you suggesting that indigenous people are more relaxed when it comes to safety measures and law enforcement is less strict when indigenous people are involved?

Better not go into stereotyopes like that without stats to back it up.

Buckles not buckled.

God, “out of hospital cardiac arrest” at 27. What a terrible way to go. I’ve been paragliding once in New Zealand and went under the assumption it was much safer and less extreme than bungee or skydiving. I’ve always wanted to do it in Taiwan, but now not so much since it seems once again the infamous “cha bu duo” rears its ugly head.

2 Likes

Something I had thought of trying in Taiwan a while back. One time, with some friends, we were on the beach in Yilan. In the mountains behind us we could see paragliders. I mentioned to my friends that it was something I wanted to try but was concerned about cha bu duo. They laughed at silly me. And just at that moment as we were watching, one of the paragliders lost control and quickly got hung up in the trees. Fortunately, it didn’t look like anybody was seriously injured. However, after that it was clear to me that I would never participate in any risky sporting activity in Taiwan. Nope, no way. Lots of river tracing mishaps here too. They often end in tragedy. There is zero chance I would ever do that in Taiwan.

1 Like