PARC advantages

I have spent 7 years in Taiwan, working for the same company. I now want to apply for PARC. But I am wondering what the advantages are of a PARC? The obvious one is that I would not have to renew my ARC every year. How does it effect my job options? Can I work for any company or school (kindergarten or bushiban?) without having to worry about work permits?

I’m pretty much looking for an answer for the same question. AFAIK, you still need WP for working regardless of holding PARC/ARC. Don’t know how it effects status of my dependents etc.,.

You will need to apply for a work permit from the Council of Labor Affairs after you receive your PARC. This is a formality and the application procedure is very simple. With your PARC-based work permit you can work for any company without worrying about a work permit. A few years back there was an issue with working for schools in some counties and cities (Kaohsiung City was one) where the local education bureau required that foreign language teachers have a degree. If this rule is still in effect, you may not be able to work at some schools without the school applying for a work permit to employ you (the way regular work permits,um, work). You could still sell betel nuts at the stand outside the school since there are no special qualifications for that job.

Get your APRC if you can. It’s a hassle but worth it.

[quote=“Feiren”]With your PARC-based work permit you can work for any company without worrying about a work permit. A few years back there was an issue with working for schools in some counties and cities (Kaohsiung City was one) where the local education bureau required that foreign language teachers have a degree. If this rule is still in effect, you may not be able to work at some schools without the school applying for a work permit to employ you (the way regular work permits,um, work).[/quote]I have it on good authority that this is still the case, even in Taipei. I’m not sure if getting a work permit in that situation would also mean having to go through the whole health check/tax examination caboodle, and whether they’d still apply those rather complicated primary/secondary permit rules, with the associated minimum levels of hours.

Apparently the idea is that since locals need a degree to teach in a buxiban (is this actually the case?), APRC holders should too. It’s about ensuring that anyone working in situations regulated by the MOE has a certain basic level of education.

What the MOE would like and what actually happens in practice may be quite different. But if I were an APRC holder who wanted to teach, I’d try to get an appropriate permit, just for peace of mind.

Thanks for replying. I got my APRC. Still need to get the open work permit but I hear it is a simple procedure. I have a degree. Does that mean that even though I have an APRC, open work permit and degree, some schools might still require me to get another ARC? That sounds ridiculous.

I’m afraid so.

What are the other advantages of APRC (besides the ones that are generally known) ???. Im not married to TWnese. Im on my own job here.

1. Can I qualify for a bank loan to buy a new car without needing a guarantor ?
  2. Status of my dependents ? can they get APRC too ? My daughter was born this April…
  3. Can I apply for a mobile phone with Chung-hwa without sans the NT$2900 deposit required for Aliens ?
  4. Can I get loans from local banks to start my own business ?

If you know of other Pros/Cons kindly update !! :help:

You can renew a driver’s license and have it valid for 6 years. I just did today! :discodance:

Btw, a friend with Far East Tone found out recently that it’s now illegal for cell carriers to withold those deposits on foreigners. His was refunded. No word yet from Taiwan Dageda about mine… :frowning:

[quote=“citizen k”]You can renew a driver’s license and have it valid for 6 years. I just did today! :discodance:

Btw, a friend with Far East Tone found out recently that it’s now illegal for cell carriers to withold those deposits on foreigners. His was refunded. No word yet from Taiwan Dageda about mine… :frowning:[/quote]

Sorry. Could you specify please? Is this for PARC holders or all ARC holders or all foreigners period?

[quote=“joesax”]

Apparently the idea is that since locals need a degree to teach in a buxiban (is this actually the case?), .[/quote]

Not for Bushibans but public schools. Bushibans can legally employ any local they see fit, regardless of qualifications.

How can you have two ARC’s… erh you can’t.

[quote=“sulavaca”][quote=“citizen k”]You can renew a driver’s license and have it valid for 6 years. I just did today! :discodance:

Btw, a friend with Far East Tone found out recently that it’s now illegal for cell carriers to withold those deposits on foreigners. His was refunded. No word yet from Taiwan Dageda about mine… :frowning:[/quote]

Sorry. Could you specify please? Is this for PARC holders or all ARC holders or all foreigners period?[/quote]

I would say it’s probably for APRC holders as they are permanent and not temporary residents such as those with ARC’s issued due to short term employment visa’s, which are the most commom ARC’s.

I just got my licences re-issued for 6 years as well… but then I forgot I’m not a foreigner anymore either. :discodance:

The driver’s license is for PARC holders.

The cell phone business, apparently for all residents. Could you even get a contract if you didn’t have at least an ARC?
Again, it was something mentioned to me in passing, so verify it if you intend to pursue it. The guy in question got back a 3 grand deposit that FET had been holding for about 10 years.