Parenting the good old way

litefm.com/cc-common/mainhea … le=9738000
There is a lot of controversy about this-I think this is great!
I agree with what the father did. Except for the 45-bullets are pretty pricey these days and he just spent $$ upgrading. All in all a great way to treat a spoiled child a great lesson.
Reminds me of the time my sister was 15 and kept slamming the door-after three warnings, her bedroom door was taken off for a year-cold in the winter!

Mmmm… I saw that and at first I thought, yeah, go dad! But then I thought some more and I wondered, why is his daughter like that? Maybe he should spend some time with her rather than fiddling around on computers all day? Isn’t he being just as childish and vengeful as her by going public in that way? Only of course she has the excuse that she is a child. I can see why he’s angry, but I asked myself if I would ever publicly humiliate my children like that, even if they had done so to me? The answer was no, because I like to think I’d be bigger and better than that. He should call her out on it, of course, and punish as necessary, but I hope I’d be asking myself how I’d managed to raise a child who would do that, and what I could do to improve things, not make things worse. I wonder if he’s regretting what he did now.

Posting private issues on facebook? to her friends? If she has issues bring it up with her counselor. Those issues presented are quite common to a teenager, most are dealt with in house. Who pays the bills? Puts bread on the table? Works 9-5? (or 8-night in Taiwan)

I like the take the door off thing. Lesson learned I would think. :thumbsup:

But this Dad seems like a douche. Be a better man, man. You punked out your kid, in public. That’s a big no-no in my book. :noway:

Just sounds like a teen grumbling and venting about her chores. Kids do this every once in a while. Then they get over it. Pretty normal. Kids are rebellious. Get used to it, Dad.

Dad shouldn’t be smoking in the video. :no-no: Bad role modeling.

[quote=“Chris”]
Dad shouldn’t be smoking in the video. :no-no: Bad role modeling.[/quote]
That’s putting my kid through college. :thumbsup:

Really? No fooling?
:aiyo:

Oh, No! Say it isn’t so!
:cry:
Bad role modeling would be any moralizing projection upon the parent, perhaps by quite a few that have not even spawned.

As for the OP’s original topic: while I certainly wouldn’t punk out me kids in public, one best believe that a certain amount of comeuppance will happen once in our private abode. And that’s a two way street, without a doubt, I get milked for payback at their discretion.
Gaining!
After all, one is better off in the long run raising goats over sheep…
:smiling_imp:

Don’t those in the southern states prefer sheep?

That video was offensive. Hurt me deeply.

Dude should definitely have used a .357, .44 or shotgun. Those little holes are SO pussy. :no-no:

[quote=“baberenglish”]http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9738000
There is a lot of controversy about this-I think this is great!
I agree with what the father did. Except for the 45-bullets are pretty pricey these days and he just spent $$ upgrading. All in all a great way to treat a spoiled child a great lesson.
Reminds me of the time my sister was 15 and kept slamming the door-after three warnings, her bedroom door was taken off for a year-cold in the winter![/quote]

I liked it. :laughing: :bravo:

[quote=“jimipresley”]That video was offensive. Hurt me deeply.

Dude should definitely have used a .357, .44 or shotgun. Those little holes are SO pussy. :no-no:[/quote]

little hole in the front, big hole in the back. kinda like you, dude.

[quote=“justreal”][quote=“jimipresley”]That video was offensive. Hurt me deeply.

Dude should definitely have used a .357, .44 or shotgun. Those little holes are SO pussy. :no-no:[/quote]

little hole in the front, big hole in the back. kinda like you, dude.[/quote]
Is that a compliment? I’m not sure whether to thank you or not.

This is not the old way of parenting. Trust me, my family use to live the “old way” of parenting. It would have never gotten to this point. The kid would be too busy doing real work or getting it with a belt or cane depending on the father.

“Old way” I don’t think that word means what you think it means.

Not so smart.

Waste of money on a laptop. It also appears he has more money than brains IMO.

About as smart as the idiot that bought a new Iphone 4 just to put a bullet in it. Not original at all, and a total fail for everyone.

youtube.com/watch?v=fcnQ72sPZAI

Kids vent about stuff. That’s why they are teenagers. The Internet has changed how we communicate and now she (his daughter) has done something quite normal which is vent about being a teenager. Had this father overheard a conversation twenty years ago over the phone would he have put holes in the phone? If he saw a notebook or diary 30 years ago would he have put holes in all the books. If he overheard a conversation 50 years ago would he have put a hole in her head.
The way he started that and spoke about it was fair. Had he ended it by saying that being a teenager is difficult and that she is still loved by her parents regardless of what she said or did, I would consider it parenting the good old way.

…Nice Gov’t model…

Child whines on the internet about parent, parent retorts on the internet in a childish manner. I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

[quote=“jdsmith”]I like the take the door off thing. Lesson learned I would think. :thumbsup:
[/quote]
Yeah, but when I was growing up it was my dad who was always slamming the door. Don’t know how we could have taught him a lesson.