Parents in Taipei - what to do?

Hi,
my folks are here for a week. Any suggestions of places, things to do, restaurants, good bars etc.
I know the obvious ones like Chiang Kai Shek & the Museum but was wondering if anyone had any good ideas.

Cheers
Ants

Take 'em out for a burger.

I was going to say ditch for Ilan 'til they go, but I guess I misunderstood the title…

[quote=“wasabipeanut3”]Hi,
my folks are here for a week. Any suggestions of places, things to do, restaurants, good bars etc.
I know the obvious ones like Chiang Kai Shek & the Museum but was wondering if anyone had any good ideas.

Cheers
Ants[/quote]
Take them on an MRT ride on the Brown line. It’s scenic, and they’ll get a good sense of Taipei and Muzha. Also, ice cream at Haagen Dasz when they’ve had enough of the exotic cuisine - the air con is great after time in the sun. The gift shop at the National Palace Museum sells great stuff - some of it quite elegant. I would also take them swimming on a hot day - try the Taipei Country Club, but you’ll have to buy coupons I think. You could also take them to Baishawan… FInd out what’s playing at the National COncert Hall. They have good air con there as well. Basically, keep them cool. THat’s what I do with my folks, who always come over here at the hottest time of the year.

Take 'em to Danshui, and look around Old Street and the Red Fort.

Take them for a ride at night along the bike paths, starting from Bitan.

Take them up to Maokong for tea.

Hot spring at Tienlai on back side of Yangmingshan at night.

Rent a car and drive out to the coast.

Hike the Jiajiuliao Trail near Wulai. Easy for anyone and so lush and beautiful. They’ll be amazed just how quick the jungle starts in Taiwan.

Or take the bus to Wulai and walk to Neidong Forest Reserve to see the canyon and the waterfalls. This is a great one on a foggy slightly drizzling day.

Don’t forget to show them all the offal and guts on a stick on display at the night markets. Too obvious worth mentioning and the morning markets as well. Even a walk through Carrefoure should be an interesting experience - Whiteman toothpaste, Coque de Ass cookies and live frogs.

“It’s the little differences” ~ Pulp Fiction

When you take them to CKS Memorial Hall, take them to the Nanmen Market, right behind CKS MRT exit 2.
Yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy.

It’s a big place where people sell ready to eat foods to go. The varieties you can get are endless. I was just there and I bought meat-stuffed hot peppers, squid rings, and some cooked mushrooms in this sause that the nice lady said I just had to try.

I saw about a million trillion other things that I wanted to eat too. :lick:

But truly, your parents will be fascinated. And you will be HUNGRY.
:lick:

Back to chowing down. I got some mushrooms left! :lick:

My post was a joke, by the way, on account of wasabipeanut has the best burger joint in the town, IMO.

Yong Kang Jie would be good perhaps, then Ding Tai Fong or any one of the ickle places along Yong Kang?

What about one of the "Pi Jiu Wu"s on Xinsheng near Heping / Da An Garden?

Do they like Japanese food? A mince up Linsen followed by a spot of dinner?

An evening in one of the Wenquan places up Beitou way?

Bolt them to the balcony for the phoon - a real Taiwan experience! (Are they insured :astonished: ?)

What is it that every time I glance and see this thread i keep seeing "Peanuts in Taipei - what to do ? "

p.s. I guess its because it was started by wasabipeanuts

cheers all,
thanks Sandman LOL at that one :slight_smile:
folks will be stoked
thought about bolting too but it’s been 5 years so they may not forgive me
cheers
Ants

Teahouses in Maokong
Jioufen (mining town south of JinShan)
Coutless temples in the mountains that you can basically just drive up to and have a look around.
An afternoon at The Top (teaspot/restaurant) on Yang Ming Shan.
So many things! :slight_smile:

Guys, don’t you think Jioufen or Maokong would be hard on older people, because they have to walk all those hills/stairs?

The observation deck at the top of 101 if it’s a clear day.

Maokong is great on a week day if you have a car. That lessens the walking.

Jioufen is a bit of a hike, so it might be a consideration of if they can handle a pretty long flight of stairs.

Good point, Icon.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]…
Bolt them to the balcony for the phoon - a real Taiwan experience! (Are they insured :astonished: ?)[/quote]
There should be some kind of rule against adding this to a serious post :fume: , eating soup and reading this is not good for my computer. :cry:

Darn, I was going to say Ding Tai Feng!

I know, take them to the Grand Hyatt (near 101) for a buffet. It just costs about 1000NT per person, considering it’s a 5 star hotel I’d say that’s a pretty good price (plus you can get them to pay for it), they have a wide selection of Western, Chinese and Japanese food… they even have a cheese selection! The desserts are pretty good as well - they also have Hagen Das.

take them to …

Bar - Barcode (very new and nice), In-house
Live Jazz (mostly foreigners performing) - Brown Sugar
Live House (mostly taiwanese singer) - EZ5

and then night market and try the most local food!!!

take them to Hua-Lian and enjoy the beautiful scenary if you have time to go outside of taipei.

Tooo bad the Gondola is kaput. Do a whirlwind of the best that TAipei offers and then do Hualian, and down the coast , stay in ROyal chihpen for a great sulfur hotel experience and then trot down to kenting for some tropical sunshine? Come back via ktown , spend the nite there (its usually worth it) and then HSR it back to the north.

Slide in SunMoonLake if they want to see a lot of CHINESE people :slight_smile: