Parents in Taipei - what to do?

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“wasabipeanut3”]Hi,
my folks are here for a week. Any suggestions of places, things to do, restaurants, good bars etc.
I know the obvious ones like Chiang Kai Shek & the Museum but was wondering if anyone had any good ideas.

Cheers
Ants[/quote]
Take them on an MRT ride on the Brown line. It’s scenic, and they’ll get a good sense of Taipei and Muzha. Also, ice cream at Haagen Dasz when they’ve had enough of the exotic cuisine - the air con is great after time in the sun. The gift shop at the National Palace Museum sells great stuff - some of it quite elegant. I would also take them swimming on a hot day - try the Taipei Country Club, but you’ll have to buy coupons I think. You could also take them to Baishawan… FInd out what’s playing at the National COncert Hall. They have good air con there as well. Basically, keep them cool. THat’s what I do with my folks, who always come over here at the hottest time of the year.[/quote]

Yup thats the way to shelter them from everything. If that is your bag. If your going to the National Palace you might as well take them fishing for shrimp for dinner. Just bite the heads off for them :wink: .

If on MRT Muzha line, get off at Linguang and walk to FuYang Eco park (about 5 minutes slow walk). Walk south two blocks from station (next traffic light after 7/11) and take a left…go one block and you will see entrance.
Early morning treat is abundance of birds. At dusk you might see flying squirrels.
Park is easy stroll but plenty of Taiwan mountain feel. Then head out of FuYang park up to adjacent park to get great view of 101. Lots of people head there for fireworks at New Years.
fuyang.sow.tw/

That’s one of the best kept secrets of Taipei, Flakman, and you just let everybody in on it. :no-no: Well, now that’s out in the open, Fuyang park is really a hidden jewel in the city. Daan “park” is nothing compared to Fuyang, which is more of a well preserved jungle than a park. It’s amazing how easily accessible it is from downtown. Yes, highly recommend it. :thumbsup:

I luv it, but my Taiwanese friends fear it because they say there are tombs still there.

Sigh

My coworkers’ parents have been to Taipei several times. I asked what they liked the most and she said: coffee shops! They love walking around the city and when they are tired, just popping into any cool looking cafe, sip some java and enjoy.

They say that if it wasn’t for the language, they would enjoy the city even more.

Wasabi, I am preparing for a parent visit, too, and I was thinking that since we are working, most of the time they wil be out and about by themselves. Planning a few “routes” in their schedules should keep them busy.

Whoops. Sorry Incubus. But I have faith in our Forumosa members…I am sure they will respect the nature found at Fuyang park. We will right?!

As for the tombs…yes, there is are a few tombs up on back side of park. You will not find them unless you go off the established paths…which is not recommended as this is an Eco park trying to protect the nature.

By the way, Fuyang used to be an ammunition storage depot from Japanese occupation time to post-WWII time. In a way, that helped to preserve the area somewhat…that is until the army moved out and locals starting taking over the park. Locals started hauling in furniture, clearing out areas for recreation, planting all sorts of non-native species plants, etc. Since that was getting out of hand the park was converted into Taipei’s first “eco park”. Now the “flow” of people in park is somewhat controlled through established paths. Interested people can sign up for free park tour on the Wilderness Society of Taiwan (SOW).

fuyang.sow.tw/
sow.org.tw/

I’m going to third the suggestion to spend a day/evening visiting the hot springs in Beitou, it’s been a big hit with visiting family members. It’s the really basic stuff they seemed to enjoy most - walking early morning in Daan park watching the groups of people exercise with radios hanging from the trees, shaved ice in the night markets. Also, pandas at the zoo. Easy to get to and so cheap that you can just go for 20 minutes at opening, see the Pandas, and head off to enjoy the rest of the day elsewhere.

awesome help guys,
parents are loving it and the Brown line is the plan for tomorrow.

Icon, my parents are staying (no room in my house) at the See You Hotel on Chong Ching South rd, section 1. It’s near the train station so lots of food, cafes and generally interesting walking around for them. The love exploring by themselves in the morning and then we meet up in the afternoon to see all the “big stuff” so they are really enjoying being based there.
Cheers again all, much appreciated.
Ants

Take them to Carnegies tomorrow night and tell them to dance on the bar.

[quote=“Flakman”]If on MRT Muzha line, get off at Linguang and walk to FuYang Eco park (about 5 minutes slow walk). Walk south two blocks from station (next traffic light after 7/11) and take a left…go one block and you will see entrance.
Early morning treat is abundance of birds. At dusk you might see flying squirrels.
Park is easy stroll but plenty of Taiwan mountain feel. Then head out of FuYang park up to adjacent park to get great view of 101. Lots of people head there for fireworks at New Years.
fuyang.sow.tw/[/quote]

Many thanks for the info on that. The website doesn’t seem to work properly, but from your description it sounds like my kind of place. Will check it out later in the week.