Parents. Speak to them often?

We only talk every 2 months or maybe 3. Just about right, as we don’t have that much to chat about. And I don’t need to hear the “when are you going to start going to Church again?” stuff… :unamused:

i’ll echoe what a few have said,make her understand that too much is too much,but also think about when you won’t be able.

when i first left france to live in UK it did cost me a fortune too in calls,but after a longer time calls had spaced,since she’s not with us anymore i don’t get much news from home,not feeling like i need to anyway,but for sure i miss talking to her

I’m 6000 miles away and suddenly I get Love dad on each email. Mind you when I was last living with him he kicked me out the house 2x for not doing the dishes. :unamused: Yell constantly about my alarm going off( I had to be at summer school at 8am and lived an hour away.) Now he wants to call me about every other day. And the conversation is always the same 1)all about the weather 2) my alling aunt 3)whatever new house project he’s doing. The conversation always last 2 mins. Because if I were to share about my life would be 10 mins too long about all the stuff “I should” be doing with my life and how I shouldn’t be living in Taiwan.

I’m such a bad Catholic :unamused:

I usually talk to my mom two out of every three Sundays. We talk for about an hour each time. Aside from the constant nagging about returning to Tennessee and the misinterpretations of any hint I give that I’ve thought of moving back to the states as some sort of plan to do so, I enjoy the conversations. They and my oldest brother are the only people back home with whom I keep in normal contact. With our first child on the way, it has started to bother me that I don’t have many ties to my home. My parents are not too old (late 60s), but they are not in very good health. At the end of every visit home, they see us off at the airport. After we’ve said our goodbyes and my wife and I are waiting in line to go through the metal detector, I cry when I look back to watch my parents walk away. I look, and I cry, because I know it may be the last time I see them.

If my mother wanted to talk to me every day, I’d try to indulge her as best I can. Maybe a mother who wants to talk every day is obsessive or has no life other than her kids. So what. I’d rather waste some time talking to my mom now than wish more than anything after she dies that I could go back and give that time to her.

[quote=“Jive Turkey”]I usually talk to my mom two out of every three Sundays. We talk for about an hour each time. Aside from the constant nagging about returning to Tennessee and the misinterpretations of any hint I give that I’ve thought of moving back to the states as some sort of plan to do so, I enjoy the conversations. They and my oldest brother are the only people back home with whom I keep in normal contact. With our first child on the way, it has started to bother me that I don’t have many ties to my home. My parents are not too old (late 60s), but they are not in very good health. At the end of every visit home, they see us off at the airport. After we’ve said our goodbyes and my wife and I are waiting in line to go through the metal detector, I cry when I look back to watch my parents walk away. I look, and I cry, because I know it may be the last time I see them.

If my mother wanted to talk to me every day, I’d try to indulge her as best I can. Maybe a mother who wants to talk every day is obsessive or has no life other than her kids. So what. I’d rather waste some time talking to my mom now than wish more than anything after she dies that I could go back and give that time to her.[/quote]

We must share a mother… I too hate saying goodbye, knowing that each visit could be the last.

Fortunately, however, I see my folks several times each year… five times last year. I usually attend at least two meetings a year in the States and they fly or drive to wherever I am and we have a nice week together, even if I am attending meetings and receptions. I also see them when I take my boy home for the summer and when I go to get him at the end of the summer. We went home for Christmas last year, and my folks visited us here the year before, and will again next year.

I don’t do much telephone talking, however. But, I do keep in touch with frequent e-mail messages.

Strictly email for me. And only with my dad, since my mom’s hopelessly computer illiterate. My dad passes on the messages.

The only exceptions would be holidays and emergencies, in which case it’s the phone.

My Dad is one of my best mates. We SMS a fair bit.

The messages from those of you who’ve lost one or both of your parents were enough to make me want to call mine.

Remember, Sunday is Father’s Day!

I forgot, but my mom phoned to remind me. :lol:

Well, let’s see, I was finally able to track down my father after not having seen or heard from him since I was 4 years old. Blame lies on both of my parents’ parts…my mom never gave me his contact and he had custody rights (my mother had to force visits on him, though) and is still friends with my mother’s relatives so he has had easy access to my contact information, yet not a word, even when I had cancer. I haven’t heard from him since a month after I made initial contact. That was 3 years ago. I’ve actually heard more from my half-sister who he gave my info to when I asked if I had any siblings from him.

My mother? I get tired of the lectures of how I’m living my life wrong so I haven’t bothered talking to her since I think April or so when she told me my best friend from high school was expecting upon seeing her at a cousin’s baby shower, but didn’t bother to get her contact info so I could finally talk to her after not seeing her for 6 years. The time before that, she got pissed off and hung up on me because I made the mistake of telling her my employment situation and she made it to be entirely my fault, not understanding that Taiwan is not like America. She was also mad because I had asked her to send a copy of my diploma and she had misplaced it.

It doesn’t help that she has never called me, not when family members have died, not when family members have been born, not when someone has been hurt or sick. I have to spend my money calling her and hope she’s not in one of her moods and pray that I won’t be finding out that someone close in my family has been killed or died.

Maybe I’ll call her if I have to move back home next month, although I’d rather not. (neither call nor move back) :unamused:

At least I hear from my brother and sister often, mostly through e-mail and photographs.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]

My mother? I get tired of the lectures of how I’m living my life wrong [/quote]

My father is single, you wanna hook them up :laughing:

TM- are your parents Deadheads? :smiley:

My family has passed one way or another. Consider yourselves lucky.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“ImaniOU”]

My mother? I get tired of the lectures of how I’m living my life wrong [/quote]

My father is single, you wanna hook them up :laughing:

TM- are your parents Deadheads? :smiley:[/quote]

Nah, my mom got remarried in Jamaica two years ago. I like my stepfather. He’s a really cool guy. And he’s working on my mother, but she’s pretty stubborn. Actually, I look forward to talking to him when I call home as he’s usually the one to pick up the phone. It helps that he’s an amazing cook.

Will Smith had it right when he said parents just don’t understand. Even at the age where I can see where she’s coming from it’s like we’re still talking two different languages. Although she is good for gossip on our relatives like on one cousin’s recent ghettofied wedding. Or the scandals behind unexpected babies. But we only get along on the phone as long as we talk about what happens on her side of the planet.