Passionfruit: Can you eat local ones unripe or can it be toxic? Or just bitter and not very sweet?

Some passion fruits unripe are toxic, was not sure if you got local wild ones less than ripe are ok other than being bitter and not as sweet? Also how to tell passion is ripe. In Hawaii they told me unripe ones may make you feel not good so was not sure this true?

Where have you seen unripe ones? >98% of the passion fruit I see here are the purple ones, which are usually ready to eat (or almost ready to eat) by the time you buy them. I usually try and wait until they’re a bit wrinkled, or at least becoming soft, but I also sometimes eat them while they’re still firm and they seem fine. I only really use them in smoothies though.

I’ve seen the yellow ones (I believe they’re a different variety/cultivar) in one or two fruit stores around Ximen/Xiaonanmen. I prefer those because they’re a bit sweeter, but they’re quite hard to find as well and I usually end up buying the purple ones.

I think I’ve seen green/unripe ones occasionally at the big fruit and vegetable market in Wanhua, but I’ve never tried them (because they did seem unripe, and I wasn’t sure what you’re supposed to do with those).

Depends on what species.

Edit. Sometimes the acidity also mkaes people feel stomach aches. I do. But i do for lemons and ither ultra acidic foods. Seeds are also very different than pulp when comparing species.

A common wild one is P. foetida which is everywhere and commonly said to be “toxic” if not ripe. Tastes great ripe but would want more clarity if eating in quantity.

1 Like

As Andrew mentioned, a little bit (not too much) wrinkled is one indicator. Another way is to hold the fruit in your hand and feel how heavy it is (that is, how much liquid has accumulated inside). If it’s super light, with little liquid, it’d not yet ripe.

Guy

I heard this. Is that true?

Sometimes the best ones are almost dry inside. Sweeter as the sugar has been concentrated.

They taste horrible if not ripe (green). I assume normal passionfruit do, also, so not really sure why you’d want to eat an unripe one. Passionfruit store and transport very well when ripe anyway, so you’re unlikely to see one that isn’t ready for eating.

@Explant: never seen P. foetida growing wild in Taiwan. I’m guessing it’s more common down south?

ya, they are pretty common in Taiwan lowlands. see them up north as well. my phone is busted cant take a pic. but they tend to hang around [human] disturbed areas a lot. they need more light, so they arent a forest type species. road sides and such with a place to climb and also sun exposure. dry areas too, they dont need much water. we just cleared out a few fields with a decent amount of that, wild hops and morning glory having fun with the grasses. prolific little buggers! i eat them when out and about in the sun as a quick sugar fix. they are pretty tasty in my opinion, but very small.

i am not sure how true the toxic aspect is. i would wonder also how much it may be the pulp or the seeds.

I just eat them skins and all, and spit the skins out. They’re too small to try to scoop out the pulp. I ain’t dead yet :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Braver man than I! i split and tongue out the inside. seen too many different forms of poop on the skins to want to try and prawn peel inside the mouth :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, need at least wash them and skin is ok. Most Taiwanese do not eat skin on any fruit,

its a fair habit given how many toxins we spray on our food. wild food, less logical i agree. i am guilty of this habit when eating stuff now too

1 Like

True, on the west coast got wonder if can have true organic food growing with what is in the soils in the lowlands.

indeed. instead, the definition of organic is quite fluid. it’s better to just consider it more just a certifier against spraying toxic chemicals. according to the soil guys in the gov, the natural heavy metals are already quite high in certain areas, especially mining areas. it’s not all the farmer.

the hardest one to control is wind and rain. I feel these 2 variables are the main reasons “organic” doesn’t exist in Taiwan with the exception of certain deeper mountain areas. only way to solve this issue is curb our pollution. ag technology is already going more organic. not fast enough, but a HUGE difference every year. the ag extension near us gifted us this bacteria to prevent certain fungal infections on vegetable type fruits. they used to laugh at us just a decade ago about not spraying. now we get a serious meeting. it’s a promising sign :slight_smile:

1 Like

some pics of P. foetida. clearing a couple trees for the neighbor.

yellow skin, black seeds are the golden zone. the fruit go orange and tend to harbor fungi, so that might be avoided.