Passive Index Investing in Taiwan

Do passive index tracking funds exist in Taiwan?
I like the idea of passive index investing. In the US it is easy to find low-cost (starting at 0.10 expense at Fidelity) no-load, Total Stock Market or S&P 500 funds.
I don’t want to beat the market; I just want to “get” the Taiwan market.
No one I have spoken to knows anything about this in Taiwan.
If any of you aren’t sure what I’m talking about exactly, type in “Vanguard”, or “VTSMX” into Google and you’ll get an idea of what I’m after.
Many thanks for any responses or even good guesses as to what the closest thing to this in Taiwan would be.
Zender

I doubt there are too many index funds in Taiwan. In the years I have lived here if had bought such a fund when I arrived and held it until today I would have halved my money. The Taiex is not on a rachet, it’s on a rollercoaster.

There’s a Taiwan index fund. I bought into three funds but not this one since two of the three have good percentages in Taiwan (that just got higher recently). I can only tell you my experience. The bank on the first floor in the building where I work has three or four employees that work with customers interested in investing. I just asked about an index fund and was given a pamphlet (I think it was a local firm- Fubon?). I decided against it for now but may go for it in the future because of the low fees you mentioned and because I have faith in Taiwan for the long-term. You can go as low as NT$3,000 a month at the place where I bought into funds.

True but you have to put it all in context. Prior to the DPP coming into power the TAIEX was essentially a bank for KMT funds. I am not saying the DPP have turned it into a totally transparent western standard bourse but it certainly operates a little more realistically these days.

Yes, as ETFs
Look here [Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … hlight=etf](ETF: Does anyone have any experience with these?

And search for ETF up in the search box

It’s good to get the lowdown on the TTT. It sounds like it’s close to a Taiwan equivalent of a Dow index tracker/S&P 500 tracker. It’s got 50 stocks that supposedly mirror the TAIEX closely (98.9% the same).
Securities tax is 1/3 that of stocks. Management fee is 1/4 that of mutual funds in general. 50 stocks provides a lot of diversification within the Taiwan market.
I’ll likely to buy this for a core holding of Taiwan stocks.
I wonder how you all feel about the ability to time the market in Taiwan more easily than, say, the US market. I mean do you just wait for the next sabre rattling from the Mainland and drop a bit of cash in as the TAIEX drops?

Thanks again for the info. My Taiwanese friends really had no ideas as they aren’t really interested in investing passively.
Good “lucky” to you all, and may you all get rich, Zender

Why would you want to track the Taiex? It’s the worst-performing index in Asia.

Give your money to me instead and I’ll spend it on beer.

I buy the political cycles because they are more transparent than Taiwan accounting standards and more likely to bring about a drop in the index that is separate from the fundamentals making a judgement call much easier.