Passport expiring/ARC visa issue

My US passport expires soon but has the Taiwan resident visa stamps in it. Can I get an extension on the passport or do I have to get a new one and then get all the relevant visas put in again?

You should be given the old passport back when they issue your new one, so just keep it with your new passport and show it at the appropriate time. I didn’t need to get new visas, etc. when this happened to me in 1996. Anybody have a more recent experience?

(In fact, I lost a passport recently while abroad and got back into Taiwan and just got a new re-entry permit in the new one; no visa whatsoever apparent in the new passport. It was a bit iffy for awhile, but the point is not that you can do this [you might not be able to do that!] but that I don’t think you need a visa to be valid for other things, as long as you already hold one. However, hold onto your ARC, of course, in this case!!)

As long as you make sure to get a re-entry permit in your new passport you’ll be fine.

I too had to get a new passport, and for a while carried both my old and new one when traveling, just in case. However, I never once had to show my expired one.

I was under the impression that when you get a new passport, they (AIT)would keep the old one. If they give it back then I guess theres not much trouble in taking both when traveling to show the current visa stamps when returning to Taiwan. Can anyone confirm this that they do give you back your old expired passport?

Don’t know about AIT, but my British passport was returned to me with one corner cut off. My wife recently got a new Taiwan passport, and she also had her old one returned, again with one corner cut off. It seems to be standard practice.

However, you don’t need it. Why would you? If you look at the visa stamp in your old passport, you’ll notice it has “used” stamped on it, signifying that it is no longer valid, so by your logic, the authorities would refuse you entry for not having an EXPIRED visa in your passport.

Your ARC serves as proof of your visa status. You take your new passport to the cops along with your ARC and get a re-entry sticker, and that, plus the embarkation card you fill out on the plane, is all you need to re-enter the country.

By all means carry your old passport with you if it makes you feel better (I did for a couple of trips but no longer) but you honestly don’t need it.

yes, ait is the same. they give it to you with some holes punched in it i think. you might need it if you have visas in it.

I managed to wash my passport 1 year ago. I got a new one, took it to the police together with my ARC, and they gave me a re-entry permit in the new passport and noted the new passport number down on the ARC.

They didn’t ask for my old passport, when I later left and re-entered Taiwan. They didn’task for it, when I renewed my ARC.

Conclusion: You get new passport, you go to the police and tell them, no problems afterwards.

But the poster states that he has a resident visa. That means he has an ARC. That means the visa in his passport is stamped “used,” which means it is no longer valid. That means he DOES NOT have a visa in his old passport.

Again, simply take your new passport, your ARC and your old passport to the cops and get a re-entry sticker in your new passport.

What I am talking about is the re-entry permit which is multiple and has no “used” stamp on it. Also the resident visa sticker which takes up a whole page has no “used” stamp on it.

Panda: I got a new passport last year because the old one was about to expire. My accounting company took care of it :blush: but I got a “used” stamp on my multiple entry visa in the old passport, a new multiple entry visa in the new passport and a stamp on my ARC with the new expiration date. When I left the country the first time after that, I showed them my ARC, old and new passport. When I came back, I only used the ARC and the new passport. I kept the old passport in case I’d need it but have never used it since.

However, I’ve always had only one sticker in my passport: a multiple entry visa sticker taking up less than half a page.

HTH
Iris

[quote]Panda wrote:
What I am talking about is the re-entry permit which is multiple and has no “used” stamp on it. Also the resident visa sticker which takes up a whole page has no “used” stamp on it. [/quote]

Right. You DO need a new re-entry sticker, as I said in my previous posts. Take your passport and ARC to the foreign affairs police to get it.

I have no idea about a visa sticker – I’ve never seen one of those. In my old passport, the visa was a stamp. My new passport contains no visa but it does contain a valid re-entry permit sticker and I’ve used it at least a dozen times over the years with no questions asked.

[quote=“sandman”]
Right. You DO need a new re-entry sticker, as I said in my previous posts. Take your passport and ARC to the foreign affairs police to get it.

I have no idea about a visa sticker – I’ve never seen one of those. In my old passport, the visa was a stamp. [/quote]

The visa is a sticker nowadays, or it was in November 2000.They sometimes forget to stamp “USED” on it. The record in my old passport was a bit mixed on that front.

Getting the re-entry into your new passport, when you lose the old one(the old one expires/ you wash it/ dip it in beer) is easy. I think the whole procedure took 10 minutes at the foreign affairs police. I know it sounds hard to believe, but some things are easy here.