Password setting for windows

With my old system I always had to enter my password just after turning on machine and before windows started up. When my computer was repaired and upgraded, this p-word feature was gone?? How do I reset this password feature. I use W95.

Thanks in advance

Have you looked in the Setup Utility?

Press F2 (usually) as the computer boots to enter it. There will be a Security settings menu.
The other place would be in the Control Panel security settings.

I tried F2 but it didnt work. Pressing delete during the boot up takes me to cmos settings where I set a password and supervisor password but it didnt work as the machine still turns on without password.

Pressing F2 had no use. Any other suggestions? Control panel has no security options section.

F2 should (iirc) work on a Phoenix BIOS, but most computers (at least desktop) come with Award BIOS, which requires to press the “Delete” key. There will be a line probably on the bottom (last three lines) of your screen saying “To Enter Setup, Press DEL”. (Should be right after (?) the memory test.) That is the time, when you need to press that key. When you can see the first message of Windows booting, that chance is over already.

quote[quote]I set a password and supervisor password but it didnt work as the machine still turns on without password.[/quote]

You’ve set the password, now you just need to get the BIOS to use it =)

There should be some setting under BIOS Features that’s cryptically named “Security Option” (the very last item on the right column in mine). Change that to “System” and it should ask for your password when you start up.

That worked!! Thanks answerer and everyone else for the help.