Pasta and Risotto, Pasta and Risotto, Pasta and Risotto

Is it just me or does nearly every restaurant that isn’t Taiwan food, and maybe claims to be Western, serves pasta and risotto, and maybe pork knuckle, even if they claim to be French or Italian or Spanish or American or something else.

I find myself telling my friends, let’s go some place that doesn’t serve pasta and risotto, if we can find it.

Taipei has a lot of variety, if you like pasta and risotto.

3 Likes

Yeah and don’t forget pizza and burgers.
But European food = pasta and risotto and some German restaurants (nobody goes to German restaurants in Europe :)).

Don’t forget the corn soup…

1 Like

And some kind of sketchy “au gratin.”

1 Like

pasta, risotto, pizza and fried chicken. everybody knows pizza, fried chicken and fries is typical Italian restaurant food!

fried chicken pasta ain’t half bad though.

The pasta in Taiwan is disgusting. I cringed watching people eat the pasta at 711.

Same with places that serve instant noodles with ketchup and call themselves “Italian restaurant” :wall:

Yeah majority of Italian food here really sucks. Worse part is when they call themselves authentic and they build up your expectations and then u get there and they serve you some over cooked pasta with some watery sauce … that’s why I cook at home, cheaper and way better lol

Same in the US, even though the largest source of European immigration has historically been from Germany. Even visiting Germans avoid Germans restaurants in the US (unless there’s good German beer available).

I suspect it’s because even upscale German food tends to look like someone of extreme parsimony just roasted random meat bits and scattered a little bit of veg around them, then served it up.

1 Like