Pat on the Back Thread: Your best moments

I was reading the classic threads on the Forumosa.org today

forumosa.org/classic-posts/

and found two threads which I feel epitomise my own posting goals.

[quote]When igorveni

Didn’t we have a witty exhange once, about something, somewhere. Was very funny. Greek gods. Classical allusions. I remember THAT much.

Oh,and there is this, by you recently:

[quote]I KNEW it!!!
I tried to get in once, but the name whitecottonpanties was taken.[/quote]

he he he

Because everyone single one of my posts is a mastery of eloquence, originality, charm, whit, and sophistication- lest we not forget how well they all display my superior intellect and upbringing - how could anyone (even someone like me) choose just one.

Where is the chief when I need him? Where? This would be more fun with him here!!
Truant, you will have to do his job.

I’m pretty sure I said something about titties this one time. I’m fairly proud of that.

It’s three times now.

I can’t recall posting anything meaningful myself, although I think I’ve also mentioned titties a couple of times. And I have a most beautiful avatar. Good 'nuff I guess.

Some stuff I wrote that I like:

[quote]Well folks, remember that in the west we’ve had about 40 years of the sexual revolution. A revolution which was preceded by several more decades of quality promotion from the avant garde. (It is really quite quaint now to read powerhouse thinkers like Bertrand Russell write how he believed male and female college students should share rooms so that they could have sex often enough to take the edge off, so to speak, so that their liidoes wouldn’t interfere with their serious studies.)

In any case, how long has sexual openess been a common feature in the lives of most people here? Never it would seem from the reaction to the video. Grown women are astonished at witnessing oral sex. Young woman are amazed to see that sex can last for more than 3 minutes.

I must admit that the popularity of the vcd in taiwan had disturbed me greatly. This is a country I may well end up raising my children in. Did I really want them brought up in an place where entire families, from junior up to grannie will watch, without shame, the private acts of a young couple? I have heard of sons telling their mothers to watch it. Of parents giving the vcd to their children. One student of mine is only in grade 6 and he has seen the video. With his parents permission no less.

Oh how deformed had the Taiwanese spirit become, I thought. Where was the moral guidance of the older generation? On a talk show tonight, a female legislature admitted openly to letting her high school aged children watch the vcd. She even told her son to learn from the video how to please a woman, and her daughter a man. Later a caller suggested that the video be shown to all high school students.

And then it came to me slowly why the country had suddenly lost all powers of discretion. This video is the great sexual awakening for Taiwan. Like all powerful awakenings the people experiencing it have lost the ability to make sound judgements. Like a traveller smitten with all things Asian, or Italian, or whatever, they cannot see when it is appropriate to apply their new found understanding, and when it is not.

I think posters are wrong to suggest that this scandal will pass and be forgotten. How many women in Taiwan have this last week been secretly, or not, sizing up the men in their lives. How many are demanding a little more foreplay? How many are perhaps experimenting with their first taste of oral sex? How many suddenly understand their hitherto inchoate feelings of dis-satisfaction? The people have been enlightened. Chu Mei Feng has become the Dr. Ruth of Taiwan. Who needs to read the Joy of Sex when you can see it live on vcd?[/quote]

[quote]What is it that the escalators say:

“Please hold the handrail when taking on an escalator.” Something like that, I’ll have to check on Monday. It’s the “taking on” part that makes me laugh every morning. “In this corner weighing in at 77 kilos, with a record of 200 elevator rides, Muzha Man. In this corner, weighing in at 2000 kilos, with a record of 10 grannies down, 2 strollers tossed, and a full week of non-activity, the Muzha MRT escalator.”[/quote]

And then the damn search function wouldn’t work anymore. :fume:

[quote=“SuchAFob”]Because everyone single one of my posts is a mastery of eloquence, originality, charm, whit, and sophistication- lest we not forget how well they all display my superior intellect and upbringing - how could anyone (even someone like me) choose just one.

Where is the chief when I need him? Where? This would be more fun with him here!!
Truant, you will have to do his job.
[/quote]
So are you saying that the best ‘classic post’ collection on f.com is to be found by clicking your ‘history’?

I just run my subliminal filter on your post :unamused: and lookie what I got:

[quote=“SuchAFob”][color=yellow]Beca[/color]u[color=yellow]se eve[/color]r[color=yellow]yone single one of my posts is [/color]a master[color=yellow]y[/color] of eloquence, originality, charm, whit, and sophistication[color=yellow]- lest we not forget how well they all display my superior intellect and upbringing - how could anyone (even someone l[/color]i[color=yellow]ke me) [/color]choose[color=yellow] j[/color]u[color=yellow]st one.[/color]

[color=yellow]
Where is the chief when I need him? Where? This would be more fun with him here!![/color]

Truant[color=yellow]
, you will have to do his job[/color].
[/quote]

That would be so much more funny if it didn’t have me typing words like u and i. I am so not that lazy.

tell your subliminal brain that, y don’t u?

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Didn’t we have a witty exhange once, about something, somewhere. Was very funny. Greek gods. Classical allusions. I remember THAT much.

[quote]I KNEW it!!!

he he he[/quote]

AH Aristotle! Was that you??

I’m sure that was temped. Crap. That was a good one. Right before the lights of wit went out.

Plato

My Buxiban Jerry McGuire thread was a classic.

I have so much quality and crap here that it is hard to find the pearls.

[quote=“Bassman”]My Buxiban Jerry McGuire thread was a classic.

I have so much quality and crap here that it is hard to find the pearls.[/quote]

That sums it up perfectly Bassman. Practically what I was thinking too. And half the time I get to read threads that are 5 or 6 pages in and what I want to comment on is somewhere in the middle of that. Then my comment oft seems out of place. Anyways, I try. Even if too late half the time… :blush:

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Muzha Man”]Didn’t we have a witty exhange once, about something, somewhere. Was very funny. Greek gods. Classical allusions. I remember THAT much.

[quote]I KNEW it!!!

he he he[/quote]

AH Aristotle! Was that you??

I’m sure that was temped. Crap. That was a good one. Right before the lights of wit went out.

Plato[/quote]

That was me Einstein.

My Foxie thread made everyone cry. Just like most of Fred Smith’s posts.

The Lazarus thread made me a Stray Dog fan forever. I’d have shot that poor dog.

Very glad you’re not me. :rainbow:

This is an instant classic:

[quote="[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/no-even-the-ones-you-hate-are-not-the-devil-incarnate/20380/11 Castro, Hitler, Mao, and Stalin had families, friends, lovers and pets, whom they adored, and who adored them in return. [/quote]
In the Dalai Lama’s “Ethics For the New Millenium” (his second best book IMHO) there is a chapter entitled “Dependant Origination and the Nature of Reality” in which he explains that nothing exists independantly of other things. All that exists, in fact, is a complex web of relationships. The “self” that we tend to be so proud of, as if it was something we created “ourselves” for example turns out to be the product of a vast array of influences: genetic, societal, historical, chemical… The harder we look the more difficult it becomes to find any independant “self” at all. To some extent it is simply illogical to hate an individual when that individual is in fact only a product. Words like evil lose much of their meaning because what most of us mean by that word has something or other to do with free will, and while free will is something we experience, it is not something that stands up very well to scrutiny. So far so good. Lets call it a draw. A paradox.

I think it was in the Art of Happiness that he talks at some length about the human tendancy to view any given phenomenon in terms of it’s effect on us personally. The tit on the motorcycle for example becomes just that, some tit on a motorcycle, when his exhaust fills my lungs and his riding style jepordizes my safety. I forget that TOM (tit on motorcycle) is also a human being like myself who has needs and desires, who was born of a woman, will someday die and who is perhaps very much afraid of that. He probably possess many admirable qualities. Perhaps he takes good care of his family for example or is a trustworthy friend to somebody. Given my extremely narrow perspective however it isn’t likely that I will approach TOM, should that ever become necessary, with much of the respect, good humor or compassion that he very likely deserves. This is a mistake on my part. It is always wiser to take the larger perspective, except, I would argue, with people like Hitler, Stalin or Sadam Husein despite whatever charm, asthetic sense or love of Mommy they might have once possessed. At some point the damage you cause cancels out the positives. The world is justified in labeling you “evil” and owes you no compassion beyond a painless death. It is perhaps open to debate whether or not George Bush has crossed that line.[/quote]

I like that post bob. And it is so seamless there in the first paragraph, I don’t know where you finish and the Dali Lama begins and neither should I.

Thanks Fox. I’m not sure there was much of me in that post at all until the last line where I suggest that perhaps bush deserves to be executed. Doubt very much that the Dalai Lama would agree, and in retrospect find the notion vaguely ridiculous myself, though am not entirely certain why. Someone in IP will most likely seek to enlighten me. :wink:

Like an annoying little white fluffy dog being “walked” by its lazy, inconsiderate owner, I have left little nuggets all over this community. It is up to you, the reader, to find them (and try not to step in them).

:wink:

Alright, I’ll find one. Give me a minute…