Pat Robertson apology to Sharon

I see Pat Robertson is apologising for saying God struck down Ariel Sharon for dividing the land of Israel. Smart guys, the Israelis- they know how to get to these Fundie leaders - hit them in that which they hold the most sacred- their wallets.

[quote]JERUSALEM (AP) – Israel has suspended contact with evangelist Pat Robertson for suggesting Prime Minister Ariel Sharon’s stroke was divine punishment for withdrawing from the Gaza Strip.

The controversy has cast doubt on plans for a Christian tourism center that would showcase the growing flow of money and influence from U.S. church groups.[/quote]http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/11/israel.robertson.ap/

Pat Robertson creates the doom that surrounds him. There is no need to invoke a god.

As much as I abhor Pat Robertson, until the day he commands his followers to blow people up and or crash trucks, boats, planes into the US or foreign armies or US or foreign civilians, he can say whatever idiotic things he wants.

jds

Let him continue making insane statements. It will only drive people away from fundyism, which is a good thing.

[quote=“jdsmith”]As much as I abhor Pat Robertson, until the day he commands his followers to blow people up and or crash trucks, boats, planes into the US or foreign armies or US or foreign civilians, he can say whatever idiotic things he wants.

jds[/quote]

How about calling for assassinations of foreign heads of state? Given how Republicans like Coulter (who sees nothing wrong with what Tim McVeigh did), Liddy (who urges his listeners to go for head shots against federal agents) and Hal Turner (who supports the killing of federal judges) simply don’t like government, I suppose it’s no mystery how a Republican presidential candidate could feel it’s time for the U.S. to kill the elected leader of an oil-rich country.

[quote=“Pat Robertson said”]

Pat Robertson is two things; a zealot and a businessman. And the two are intertwined; i.e. he is a professional zealot. An accurate way to think about him is to realize he fills the same niche as Howard Stern (the Shock Jock, now broadcasting from Outer Space). In both cases their wealth (considerable in both cases) comes from saying outrageous things that their listeners want to hear. After some outrageous statement they then do the amends thing (Howard writing the FCC a check for the obscenity fine or Pat doing the “oh, I take it back” shuck and jive). Saying outrageous things is their business. As to Preacher Pat as a religious leader—I won’t even go there although I would have plenty to say.

Yours in Business Broadcasting and Religion,
Rev. Brian
Universal Life Church (internet sanctified)

As kind of an aside to this thread, it is an interesting irony of western religious history. When Protestant ideas were first getting started, what a Protestant reformer would have said about the Roman Catholic Church is something along these lines; “The Church is corrupt, they have their massive wealth, their universities and they devote their time to increasing their wealth and playing secular politics. They entice or intimidate political leaders into following the lead of the Church or at least quietly acquiescing to it. The Cardinals and Bishops use inflammatory language to whip up the public while the monks and friars amount to nothing more than small time businessmen”.

What an irony, Protestantism may have become what it despised. For many would make the same charges against Protestant groups like Pat Robertsons that were made against the Roman Catholic Church a thousand years ago. And it is not just Pat Robertson by the way, there are plenty of Pat Robertson clones out there.

Well enough on that. I have to go over to Preacher Pat’s website and see what indulgences are selling for these days.

Rev. Brian
Graduate of University of San Diego; San Diegos Best (and only) Catholic law school and seminary (yes, an attorneys and priests school, how is that for a mix. )

Go Padres!! (the baseball team, not the people who brought civilization and typhoid to California)

[quote]jdsmith wrote:

[quote]As much as I abhor Pat Robertson, until the day he commands his followers to blow people up and or crash trucks, boats, planes into the US or foreign armies or US or foreign civilians, he can say whatever idiotic things he wants.

jds[/quote]

How about calling for assassinations of foreign heads of state? Given how Republicans like Coulter (who sees nothing wrong with what Tim McVeigh did), Liddy (who urges his listeners to go for head shots against federal agents) and Hal Turner (who supports the killing of federal judges) simply don’t like government, I suppose it’s no mystery how a Republican presidential candidate could feel it’s time for the U.S. to kill the elected leader of an oil-rich country.
[/quote]

Well, again, that first amendment thing swings both ways. Pat can say pretty much whatever he wants. He says what he thinks the US SHOULD do. I am certain that the story would be very different if he said, “I’ve got my people renting helicopters and elephant guns and we’re going in this weekend.”

MFGR, you should know that the Right is not the only side replete with these kinds of idiots. Are you suggesting that these folks and their viewers/listeners drive the Republican Party? Hardly. The far right is not very happy with what they see as Bush’s moderatism. There was a good article in The Economist a few months about this.

Has Robertson broken any laws? You seem to be suggesting that the Bush administration is covering up for him:

[quote]
Amazing how fast the Republican spin machine has been working overtime to try to protect Robertson and his “peaceful” ideas.[/quote]

I’m curious to see how PR has been protected. Got links? :slight_smile:

peace
jds

JDS, no where in there does BK mention the twat adminsistration “covering up” for the fat and arrogant pig, the operative phrase was “Republican spin machine”. Which is the equivalent of hiding a fat pig in a pen of fat pigs thus making him harder to find and butcher. And what’s up with quoting yourself :stuck_out_tongue: ?

I tend to stay out of this IP thread for I prefer a life of silly alcoholic escapism, so you’ll probalby not hear back from me here…but I am glad I came to this one because I am with the good Rev. BK on one point…

Go Padres!!!

Chou

jd – You do understand, however, that former Republican presidential candidate Pat Robertson: 1) has used his “bully pulpit” to encourage the U.S. to conduct state-sponsored terrorist acts against other states (including assassination of at least one foreign head of state); and 2) would be glad to see ordinary American towns (such as Dover, Penn.) be destroyed.

Interesting that mainstream Republican figures like Hal Turner, Anne Coulter and G. Gordon Liddy seem to similarly appreciate the idea of violence against our federal government officials – Robertson could be considered a “moderate” Republican in that he’s only encouraging the assassination of foreign heads of state. Also interesting that his desire to see American cities bathed in blood echoes the sort of “divine retribution” for which Bill O’Reilly fans apparantly so earnestly yearn. What is it that makes these bloodthirsty America-haters so popular among the GOP listeners?? From the standpoint of a moderate American, I simply don’t understand it.